Just got refurbished iphone! Im 18 with no credit history!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Habitat31, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Habitat31 macrumors newbie

So yeah i finally got this phone! :D So i try to activate it but it ask for my SS#! Im 18 and a student in college and i've never worked so i have no credit report or anything. But i do have over $800 in my bank. Ive been hearing that you have to have a security deposit of over $500 which is crazy!!!:eek:

Also i heard of a trick if you put SS# 141-11-1111 they well let you go but you have the choice of either doing pay as you go or plan. But if you go with the plan it does a credit report of either 50 - 750 dollars! Im wondering if i take the pay as you go can i get the unlimited data and unlimited messaging or is that plan only? Also if i wanna go with the plan can i talk to a Att person to perhaps lower the security deposit to $ 150 - 250?

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Well thats just crazy. if Tmobile is a option for you i would say go for it, it took less then 20mins to unlock mine, from opening the box to placing a call.

3. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

There isn't a deposit on the 'pick your plan' option. You just need a debit card. Unlimited data is a $20 option. It's what I'm using, 2 year contract was too much of a commitment.

4. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

If AT&T is going to require a deposit, T-Mobile will also!

Why not try to register the phone and see what or if they even require one. I'm thinking if it does want a deposit, it will let you pick a pay as you go plan. The pay as you go plan for iPhone details should be on AT&T's website.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you have a credit rating of 600. When you are a "ghost" in the system which means you have no credit history your score starts out at 600 and goes up and down from there.

It not hard to get it to start climbing.

6. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I would try and see what happens, your credit history has to start somewhere.

7. cupofjoe macrumors regular

8. Habitat31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i decided that im going to have my dad co sign for me on the account. :p

1.But i got a question how would you do that through itunes? Would i have him fill out the information or me and call At&t?

2.Also i got the refurbished 4gb iphone but i want the refurbished 8 gb instead can i exchange it for the new refurbished one? I know i have to pay the stock fee and $50 more which im ready to do so.

3. Also if i can get the 8gb iphone can i already sign up for the plan through my 4gb and then tomorrow get the new iphone and change sim card?

Thanks!

9. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

If you're not sure, or having a co-signer, go into an AT&T store and ask them to run you before you activate. They'll be able to tell if you'll be approved and set up your number if you need a co-signer. Then you can put in your new AT&T information into iTunes and activate.

If you can't get to an AT&T store just call customer service, they'll do it for you over the phone.

10. TK B$K macrumors 6502

11. Habitat31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah never worked. Was always busy with school and i guess i'm kinda spoiled :p

12. TK B$K macrumors 6502

luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. well yeah just unlock it!

13. Habitat31 thread starter macrumors newbie

So any answers to theses questions?

1.how would i get a co-signer to sign for me through itunes? Would i have him fill out the information or call At&t?

2.Also i got the refurbished 4gb iphone but i want the refurbished 8 gb instead can i exchange it for the new refurbished one? I know i have to pay the stock fee and $50 more which im ready to do so.

3. Also if i can get the 8gb iphone can i already sign up for the plan through my 4gb and then tomorrow get the new iphone and change sim card?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I also was in the same situation as you, but they requested only $150 security deposit from me. After that, everything went good.

15. Habitat31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did u ask by store or by phone? For the credit check?

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I bought my iPhone (new) on the AT&T store, since no Apple stores here in New Orleans.

They clerk just did the regular credit card purchase while at the same time checked my credit history for a pre-approved code.

Then I told her (AT&T employee) that I had no prior history, she said no problem, she explained to me about the security deposit, ran my SS and then told me she was surprised it was only $150 when it normally asks $500.

Then she pre-approved me, as I paid the deposit...