Just Got Scammed on Ebay!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unprocessed1, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I bought a copy of Windows Home vista Home Premium on ebay a few days ago (to be installed on bootcamp, of course).

Came in today, and I open it up. Much to my suprise, it isn't in a box, but it is shrink-wrapped in plastic in a mini booklet.
    Reference ebay listing: here
    I open it up and inside is a LENOVO Windows Vista reinstall disk...clearly not what the seller described.

I opened up a paypal and ebay dispute. I can't believe someone would actually be such a jerk to do something like this and try to get away with it.

Here is what I wrote in the paypal dispute:

What do you guys think will end up happening, and what will paypal do, based on your own experiences? Should I immediately escalate the claim and have paypal review it? Any advice would be helpful!

IT WAS NOT an accident either. The seller knew this was a Lenovo reinstall disk, and even claimed he got it "As a gift". Funy too, since he just sold his Lenovo laptop on ebay :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know how to add pictures to the dispute?

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

The listing was very vague, and possibly disengenuous, but at the end of the day, you must not have looked very closely at the image in the listing--it says very clearly "For distribution only with a PC"...BIG clue that it's either an OEM installer or a restore disc...either way, worth clarifying before buying. Nowhere in the listing does it say that it's a retail copy of Vista...so while I hate to say "I told you so," it looks like you jumped to conclusions about what the item was instead of making sure it was what you wanted. As to your comment re: nobody would pay that much $$ for what you got...an item is worth whatever somebody will pay. In short, the seller is slimy for being deliberately vague about this, but I don't see anything in the listing that says you should have gotten a standard copy of Vista. Moral of the story: Caveat Emptor.

3. Love macrumors 68000

Love

It says on two different places there: "For distribution with a new PC only."

Your fault.

(BTW: Nice Jewish family? You seriously couldn't tell that was a scam?)

4. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

sry about your problem, wish i could offer advice in some way...

but i cracked up when i read "This item is own by a nice Jewish family!!!" in the description on ebay, hahaha :)

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And when all is said and done, it should still work just fine provided the activation code has not already been used. My OEM XP Pro copy that's been running with Boot Camp & Fusion for three years is for "HP Only."

I have never purchased a retail copy of Windows in my life; every single one, regardless of the machine (PC or Apple) or build (OEM or homebuilt), I've ALWAYS purchased OEM copies of Windows, and never had a single problem, EVER.

Most tell you that it's somehow tied to s single machine, or some other code has been inserted to make it unusable for other than the brand labeled on the disk. Mostly, that's nonsense. The only way to validate that claim is to attempt installation. Chances are, it'll work as advertised.

6. racers macrumors regular

7. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Also, the picture in the listing is clearly a booklet...all the retail copies come in a plastic box with a rounded corner...which is very clearly NOT what is pictured.

8. brax.j macrumors regular

@Love did you even read the OP he ordered a new copy of Vista and got a Lenovo install disk and nowhere does the the posting say "For distribution with a new PC only"

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

@brax.j did you even read the auction he ordered Windows Vista Home Premium and got a Lenovo OEM install disk and it says very clearly on the booklet "For distribution with a new PC only" kthxbai

At the OP, I would agree that you did indeed screw up buying that. However, I will go to bet that paypal will refund you...

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

To be honest, the quality of that picture is crap, I wouldn't have noticed that, the seller probably didn't know it was for a Lenovo PC only, they probably could've been a bit more descriptive to be honest, 1 line is a bit basic, and with spelling mistakes/grammatical at that...

For that one poster that will analyse my post and point out all my grammatical faults, grow up.

12. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I guess that's best case scenario. I only want to install it on bootcamp, and I assumed it would only work on Lenovo.

But to the people taking the side of the seller: you're basicially supporting misleading advertising. The seller also flat out lied by saying he got the disk as a "gift". It was clearly part of the Lenovo package. He also sold more expensive things with the "trusted jewish family" tagline, and I assumed the listing wouldn't be a distortion of the actual product he was selling. It is true he might have not realized it was only for Lenovo, since it was sealed...but he did lie about how he obtained the disk, which already breaks ebay rules and policy. The disk he gave me should hypothetically only work on Lenovo computers...

Wow, way to build up your post count :rolleyes:

13. racers macrumors regular

you need to pay more attention when you're on ebay. Its easy to get scammed
    just hope the disk you have will work

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, was a little unkind of me, but if you don't pay any more attention than that when buying off of ebay, I figured there was a decent chance it would go over your head.

15. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

WONDERFUL. Seller offered to refund $30 and left this response on paypal, unedited.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

How do you know the seller lied? It could very well have been a gift. Most people wouldn't know the difference. That auction just screams "fishy" to me and I would have personally chosen not to bid. Technically the seller did not lie, it is exactly what was listed. You went so far as to assume that it was a retail license, which it was not; it's pretty obvious from the picture, despite the low quality, that it is not the retail packaging. Of course, paypal will side with you, the buyer, as they always do, but it doesn't make the seller some sort of conartist.

I don't take the side of the seller for selling something potentially misleading, but I certainly don't side with the buyer just because he/she didn't get what he/she expected.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok so anyone that doesn't think the seller is now a d**k can't actually be reading the same thread as me...

18. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Yup. It's a stretch to think that it was a gift, but that auction screamed FISHY! ESPECIALLY in these cases, caveat emptor!

19. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

My max bid was $81 for a reason, but he does have decent, yet limited feedback. You can even see the laptop he sold there which probably had the lenovo disk he sold to me...

It's more about principle than anything. If I was the seller, I would admit a mistake and issue a refund upon return. It also sucks to be misled and then be called a "liar".

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I though people have been using the cheaper OEM versions for bootcamp without many issues, is Lenovo any different?

At least ask somebody how to use the copy with Bootcamp before you claim fraud.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

does not look like a scam to me but more a sell who did not fully understand what he was selling.

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Your claim to paypal is stretching the truth, by a lot. You received what was described and pictured. Just because the descriptions and pictures suck doesn't mean that you have full rights to a refund.

23. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I am beginning to doubt whether or not the seller is a real person. After I responded to his last reponse with:

His response in 2 fold:

Was a Lenovo reinstall disk in the description or pictured? It won't even work on my Dell...

24. aethelbert macrumors 601

It is "Windows Vista Home Premium," as stated in the auction title. The fact that it's a restore disc doesn't change that. Also, it is exactly what is pictured.

25. Unprocessed1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Okay, I'll remember never to buy anything from you on ebay if you take that approach... Have you looked at the seller's responses to the complaints?

Do you also think it's fine to sell a PS3 box on ebay by implying it's a functional video game system?