Just had a horrible thought.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 13, 2017.

1. mcdj, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

How long until advertisers force you to watch an ad and won’t let you past the ad unless it receives facial interaction for the duration of the ad?

*Edit* Some replies assume I’m only talking about in-app ads. I’m talking anyone, website or app, that wants you to see an ad. YouTube. CNN. Ebay. Facebook.

Apple could even decide to make a cheaper adware driven version of the phone. And if every other phone manufacturer shifts to facial recognition, then maybe the ads would just become a standard thing for everyone a la Minority Report.

If EVERYONE did it, there’d be no backlash because there’d be no alternative.

2. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Probably not likely to happen. But scary thought though! Even YouTube is changing 30+ seconds ads to always allow a skip sometime in 2018. (Currently not all 30+ second ads can be skipped)

3. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

It's been brought up in the past here in the forum. I think it'd be an overkill for advertisers to piss users like that.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Apple can stop them from doing so, but I am betting it will be tried.

5. facemeat macrumors member

I'd find a different app and move on.
    I also suspect that the backlash would be immense and said app would see their users plummet until the facial interaction was removed.

6. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Samsung’s flagships have had the ability to not turn the screen onto standby mode if you are currently looking at it since maybe the S4, it’s called Eye Sense or something. So if this is a concern, it’s not a new one.

7. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

If you are a criminal stay far away from facial recognition because big brother is always watching lol

8. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

BLACK MIRROR
    (Season one, episode two)

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Not going to happen. You can always just not use the app if it ever came to that.

10. 960design macrumors 68030

Advertisers need to catch up with the times. No one wants 30 second ads. 15 second ads are pushing it. Keep it to 10 seconds or less. We do not have time to watch your 30 second ad, before the 20 second stupid cat trick video we actually care about.

The world will skip your 20+ second ad, every time and remember to hate your product.

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

I work in the ad industry, can confirm that it is exactly the kind of thing advertisers want to do.

12. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

well then, tell them it will actually be worse for your products than not having ads at all.

13. 960design macrumors 68030

Create 5 second ads. The internet world will love you. We will appreciate your consideration for our valuable time and understanding of our 5 second attention spans.

The above takes about 7 seconds to read... too long... right?!

14. AssassuN macrumors member

AssassuN

If anyone is gonna do that, it’ll be Google
    Apple doesn’t usually share users private information like this (unless I’m misinformed)

15. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

Youtube have 6 second unskipable ads, does that help?

16. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

OMG. Imagine the suffering and trauma when big brother sees.... you are looking at your phone! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Would agree with this. Apple value security and privacy moreover any other smart phone manufacture. It's too early to tell where Face ID will lead, but I trust Apple more than anyone else.

18. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

Right because you know! One would pretty fool hearted if law enforcement wouldn’t use such to catch criminals or at least aid them.

19. ArrayOfLilly macrumors newbie

ArrayOfLilly

And what about the job monitoring applications? This method allows not only to know what are you watching on your monitor, but the degree of your attention...

20. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

If they try that on me i’ll Smash my phone to bits. That’ll team them.

21. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I mentioned this as a concern over on the Android side of the forum. We all were wondering if all smart phones were going to drop fingerprint sensors and go to Apple’s form of facial scanning and I said I felt it was inevitable due to the potential to monetize the technology. I intend to disable it if possible, when that happens.

When it happens on Android I will probably leave Android if I can’t disable the technology. I think some iOS apps will also try to monetize the facial scanning tech but I am banking on Apple locking them out of that ability. That’s why even though I’m frustrated with the current state of iOS 11, I have no intention of jumping off the fence fully into Android territory.

22. 960design macrumors 68030

Yes... that is what I was getting at. I do not mind the 5-6 seconds.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2017 ---
    Mentioned this tongue and cheek...
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-face-id-will-work.2063549/#post-24934450

23. AssassuN macrumors member

AssassuN

Yeah it seems that Android manufacturers will follow suit with the facial recognition
    Honestly I see us heading into that Minority Report-esque scenario in the future, it’s almost inevitable
    But I think Apple will be more careful with how they execute it

24. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Man ... I outta kick your in the teeth!
    There are just some thoughts, ideas, that should NEVER be spoken to give adertisers, and even worse, Freemium coders ideas such as this!

kidding about the violence obviously ... yet this is a VERY scary idea that could occur!

Apple - please create a small fund for freemium Android users to incorporate ads forcing viewing until fully played for 1 minute long EVEN if the app is closed/killed and relaunched again just for Android users! They'll soon get sick and join the family that is iOS! ;)

Yeah I'm dreaming on that last thought.

Still VERY scary idea.

25. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

People still get Ads on YouTube?