Just installed 32GB SSD in new Macbook Pro! WOW!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by portishead, Oct 22, 2008.

1. portishead macrumors 65816

It's very nice! Boots very quick, programs are very responsive, and I have no problems with video lag at all.

2. tbae12 macrumors member

That's such little memory though! Can you live with that?

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

Which SSD did you install? MLC based or SLC based?

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

How much did it run you?

I may just have an OS and Application SSD (internal) with ALL of my documents on external storage (backed up by another external drive).

Hrm... Absolutely no moving parts , besides fans, for my clamshell-esque macbook pro...

tantalizing...to say the least :D

5. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Not sure. It's a 32GB Patriot SSD from newegg.

Yes, it is very little hard drive space! But I plan on getting a 500GB drive, and replacing the superdrive that I never use with the MCE optibay (when it becomes available). So I'll have plenty of space for photos, videos, and media.

6. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

It was like $150 with $50 rebate at the site I mentioned earlier. I was kind of hesitant because I've heard mixed things about SSD's, but this one seems very smooth so far.

7. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I thought about doing this very thing, but it also negates one of the two reasons for the SSD in the first place, in my eyes (noise).

8. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I wish I could afford one of the new Intel SSD drives, the 80GB X25-M. I have to admit though, at $100 for a 32GB drive, I'd be tempted.

9. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in noise, only because I use the fan control program to kick the fans on anyway. But the noise on the MBP is pretty minimal anyway, and doesn't bother me.

It would be pretty sweet when prices come down to install a couple 128GB SSD's and stripe them. Then again, I would be too scared for my data to do that unless I was religious about using Time Machine every night. Then again, I guess I am anyway. Hmm....

10. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm waiting for the 160GB version before I buy an Intel based SSD, but it is definitely on my list of upgrades before the end of the year. The 128GB SSD from Apple is good for now, but the Intel drives have some very impressive performance numbers.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll probably pick one up sometime around May, or when the 160 giggers are reasonably priced. Right now I have a 120 gig drive in there, and no real need or hurry to upgrade just yet.

12. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

How's the heat on that thing? Have you noticed temperature differences after you installed it?

13. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Really hard to tell. It wasn't really hot before. Right now, it is barely warm over the hard drive.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Who are you people that NEVER use optical drives? I mean do you actually do anything on these machines aside from download music and write e-mails?

15. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you use your optical drive for? An occasional install? Burn a cd every few months?

Plus my wife has a macbook pro, and I have a nice mac pro at work. It's really not a big deal to hook up a usb dvd drive when the situation calls for it.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

One word: HandBrake. I also used it while covering a game when the people in the booth needed some songs put in a certain order on a CD. I have also used it at work to transfer stuff to computers whose crappiness is legendary (bad USB ports).

Ya didn't mention that you had other optical drives around. That's a whole heckuva different story. But even though others in this house have optical drives, I wouldn't give up one on this MBP. It's too important for me to just have an external one.

17. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean, there is no doubt there are times when the superdrive comes in handy. And honestly, I haven't ever had one removed yet, so I'm not sure how many times it will get annoying. But I'm going to do it anyway soon. It's wayyyy to easy to open these things up! It's so nice!

After using the SSD most of the night, my MBP is lightning quick. Also, it seems to help with memory. I don't have as many pageouts, and beachballs for some reason. I'll try to multitask it more to see if I can get it to slowdown. I have 2GB atm, but my 4GB should be here tomorrow.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When SSDs get to about 150% of the price of HDDs, I think I'll consider one. I just need storage too much. I've got probably close to 20GB of just music on here, not to mention the videos from iTunes (I eventually move them to networked HDDs). Then I have all the home movie raw video that I keep on here, which thankfully doesn't clog up the hard drive like iLife '06 did. Oh yeah, I also have 3 versions of Quark XPress and Adobe CS3.

I needs my storage!!!!!!! Don't even get me started on surviving with an 8GB iPhone. It's criminal after living with a 30GB iPod.

19. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I am an early adopter I suppose. That's okay.

Don't complain about your iPhone, I have a 4GB!!!

20. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Did you swap out a 5200 or a 7200 ? I swapped a 5200 in my thinkpad for a 7200 and the speed jump was very noticable. I'm just wondering if for someone used to a 7200 drive the speed jump would be as worth the extra cost/reduced size...

I think I will stick with my 7200 drive for now... but hopefully ssd becomes large and cheap enough for serious consideration soon.

21. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if this would work with the new MBPs

OCZ Core V2 250GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-2C250G)

22. surgedc5 macrumors regular

should work fine with the mbp, 2.5

23. watergun macrumors regular

Better check before buying any MLC SSD such as OCZ. I read from Anandtech that there is some stuttering problem with those drive. The best one atm is Intel X25-M but it's only 80GB and very pricey.

24. iaminsane macrumors newbie

brilliant. glad to hear reports on SSDs.

hows battery life?

peace.

25. portishead thread starter macrumors 65816

You know, I'm not really sure. I don't really have the desire to set a timer for the different drives. Benchmarks are cool and all, but I don't like getting caught up too much in them. If I have time in the coming weeks, maybe I'll try to do it if people are interested.