Just installed 4.3 but gestures are missing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tac22, Jan 12, 2011.

1. tac22 macrumors 6502

So I just installed iOS 4.3 and changed my switch to orientation lock (yay) but the multitouch gestures aren't in the setting, there's not a hint of there existence. I've seen video of it, it exists, the option is suppose to be right bellow the orientation lock/mute options but it's not.

I know it's a beta, but to me it doesn't make sence that it is missing entirely from my software somehow and not from other people's.

2. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

3. Pared macrumors 65816

4. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

Restored as I didn't want to have to re-set all my apps, etc. Might be the issue...

5. Thadon macrumors member

I noticed from some pictures that you have to turn them on in the settings. May want to check that out. I've been waiting to update my iPad to see the bug first. Glad I'm waiting.

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

You need to make sure you have your device in Xcode configured for development, then the option in settings will appear (after it is relaunched).

7. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

same here and i did restore since update gave me error 14
    :confused:

xcode has 4 hours to go downloading :(

8. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks

Does "relaunched" mean restarted?

and

How do I "configure my device for development" in Xcode?

I know I probably should now this, but I'm just getting the hang of it.

9. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Is it in the Xcode organizer with a green light beside it.. if not click use for development

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

It will show up in the devices list. You then just need to select it and then then click on "Use for Development". You will then be prompted to log onto your developers account and it then it will be provisioned.

You will need to kill the "Settings" app from multitasking and then relaunch - or restart the iPad.

11. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks a ton

12. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

13. tekchic, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I got error code 14 the first time I tried to install as an update and am doing a clean install -- so I haven't gotten into it yet, it's still trying to reinstall my 40000000 apps.

Just read how to enable it it on the RSS feeds I follow. http://www.macstories.net/ipad/how-to-enable-multi-touch-gestures-on-ios-4-3-for-ipad/

Oops.. reading #fail on my part - I guess I'll have to use XCode to enable when the iPad's done installing apps.

All is well... launched XCode, launched Organizer. Right-clicked "Use for Development", gave it my account login creds, and multitasking is now enabled.

14. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Truthfully i'm no developer, but my friend is, he said he would put it in developer mode the next time i saw him.

but I tried to do what you said anyways, and when it asked for my developer credentials i was like, oh well it was worth a shot, then i fooled around looking through the crash logs of my ipad. then while still connected i figured i go ahead and kill setting in the settings app.

and well whata you know. its doing cartwheels with 4 5 6 and 7 finger gestures all over the place. don't know how i pulled it off, but boy am i happy.

15. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Any speed improvements in 4.3? I was hoping to see a tighter running OS since 4.2.1 still seemed to have memory leaking problems as the OS ran longer without a reset.

16. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's hard to tell speed improvements with a beta 1 of the software. There wasn't too many bugs when not using multitouch features, though always some. The multitouch does need some UI refining. We might not see any large speed improvements until ios5, and there better be. Safari deffinetly needs some this year.

17. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Tabs FTW :D

18. tac22 thread starter macrumors 6502

No kidding, popping out to see all the open windows is nice at time, but tabs would be much faster.

19. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I haven't come across many issues (yet), but I did have a lockscreen lockup once, where the screen wasn't responding to touch at all to where you couldn't slide to unlock or even click the flower for the slideshow. Two-finger salute brought everything back normally, so it could be some rogue app that went awry when my iPad shut off.

Only other quirk so far is updating apps in the App Store -- the layout is a bit funky in landscape where it's almost like it's overlaid and offset a bit. To update my apps I had to click "Update All" instead of updating each individual app (the buttons were grayed out and said "Installed" already).

Speed seems the same as 4.2.1, but I haven't tossed any hefty games or apps at it quite yet.

20. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway :)

Based on past experience with Apple Dev releases, and seeing that this is not THE most deep down system change, more a tweak a polish on the top.

Any guesses as to the time before 4.3 goes public?

I'm taking a wild stab, perhaps a month? What do you think?

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It may only be a polish up, but there are plenty of bugs in 4.3 around the new multitouch gestures (screen lockups, not switching properly or immediately switching back, apps coming back half restored, etc)
    I think there will need to be at least two more betas before a GM do I'd guess 4 weeks minimum

23. ArchXyrho macrumors member

Plug your iPad into Xcode and it will appear. Don't know why

24. iPagan macrumors regular

Just curious:

Has anyone checked if the Personal WiFi Hotspot feature in iOS 4.3 beta work on the 3g iPad?

Thanks!

25. ArchXyrho macrumors member

No the iPad 3G doesn't have the portable hotspot option.