Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Not very happy with the display of my 6, compared to my 5s It looks like the ppi dropped substantially. I know they are the same though. Anyone else feeling this way?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Not very happy with the display of my 6, compared to my 5s It looks like the ppi dropped substantially. I know they are the same though. Anyone else feeling this way?

Fine here. But, some apps aren't yet optimized for the bigger screen causing it look less sharp. A lot of people here have already mentioned this.

ctross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I expect it right now from 3rd party apps, but even system UI and 1st party apps are looking fuzzy to me. Especially text on the keyboard.

crispyking

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
If I hold mine at an angle I can see a very small, very fine, honeycomb grid.
Sometimes I can see it straight on too.
It wasn't like that on my old 4S or rMini

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I did notice that when comparing my 5s to the display models at the AT&T store and at the Apple Store. My 5s display was sharper, crisper and more like that of the higher resolution Plus than the 6. I compared displays on Evernote and a few apps and the home screens.

I thought I'd matched display settings on both phones to get a fair comparison but another forum member remarked that the store phones I looked at might have had their displays zoomed. I can't say for sure. Comparing phones in a hectic crowded store is an imprecise undertaking. I was hoping this topic would come up here on the forum as I've been wondering about it ever since. I'm hoping the display on the 6 surpasses or matches that of my 5s in case the Plus I've ordered doesn't work out for me.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I expect it right now from 3rd party apps, but even system UI and 1st party apps are looking fuzzy to me. Especially text on the keyboard.

Hmm..well, I don't see anything like that, aside from third-party apps. Maybe your screen is defective some how? There's no discernible difference between my 5s and 6. Well, maybe a tad bit; text seems "crisper".

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
On homescreen and on stock apps. There is no way it would be fuzzy because this thing has the same dpi as 5s. For third party apps that have not been optimized, yes. It's a bit fuzzy due to scaling.

bakron1

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
My screen looks great compared to that tiny screen on my 5s. The extra real estate is a big plus. Well worth the upgrade to me.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
When i enabled zoomed mode. Yes all the stuff on screen looks a bit fuzzier. Not that bad but it's easy to notice. I disabled zoomed mode though, prefer more real estate than bigger things.

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
I agree with OP. The home screen looks incredible and sharp, but even some first-part apps looks fuzzy. The Keyboard, and some text in Safari - I feel like I can see the pixels. I figured it was just apps not being optimized by third-parties, but then I noticed it in Apple's own apps.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
This is almost like those threads where people claimed the non retina iPads looked better than the retina ones.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I just picked up my 6 this morning (I was in Europe on Friday and had them hold it at the UPS hub). I think the screen looks phenomenal. Brilliant contrast and color, and of course very sharp and the extra size is nice. The scaled apps don't look as good, but that will be fixed soon. (How is it possible that Facebook still hasn't updated yet?)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

In Settings | Display & Brightness | View, are you using Standard or Zoomed?

Mackabadi

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009

I upgraded from an IP5 to the IP6 and I think the screen looks phenomenal and much improved. Sure, apps that have not yet been optimized for iOS8 and the bigger real estate do look a little weird (zoomed in), but those that have been optimized look great.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I just held my 5S and my 6 side by side at max brightness and didn't notice anything. (Except that apparently my 5S screen was a little yellower than my new one!)

Melodeath

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
Side by side, I see that the keyboard on the 6 is actually NOT fuzzier than my 5s. Strange, but somehow the bigger screen on the 6 made me notice the jaggedness on the diagonal lines; something I never noticed on the 5s.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm thinking that you chose "zoomed" when setting up your phone, rather than standard. On the 6 that means everything is scaled up, even system UI and homescreens.

ctross

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I am on the standard zoom option. I'm not sure why the larger screen would make diagonal lines more jagged in appearance if the ppi stayed the same but that is def. the problem I am noticing.

farmD

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2013
Looks the same to me. The apps are just stretched out bc the developers has not updated to fit on the new phones.

Definitely like the design of the 5 series but one thing I love about this is that the screen seem to float.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.