Just not that excited...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by PatriotInvasion, Aug 7, 2012.

1. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

For those who have used iOS 6, does it feel different than iOS 5? I'm the biggest Apple of fan there is, but I'm starting to get wary of my Droid friends who have phones that make my 4S look not so cool anymore.

I remember the days when I would laugh at people who didn't have an iPhone...now I just feel like, ehhh.

Please tell me Apple has been working on more over the past year than just maps and a flick up to tell someone you'll call them back:confused:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There are numerous threads on the upcoming features. Frankly there are things to be excited about for sure.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

To be honest there are some things in iOS 6 that I could just easily stay on iOS 5 and not miss out on, but then there are the small touches that keep me using the beta as my main OS.

If you're not that excited that's okay. You may want to try out other devices like Windows Phone or Android and you may become more excited about those, and that might be what you really want.

4. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I would never go that route because I have too much invested in all things Mac and iOS. They have me in the ecosystem and I'm happy to be a part of it. I just want them to stop being so stubborn on holding back features while Android is starting to pick up steam --- mainly LTE, screen sizes, alterations to OS layout (fixed app grid vs hiding apps until you need them), etc

Everything just seems like a marginal improvement on the norm. Nothing that new or innovative in awhile.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I really don't know what phone most of my friends use
    And I am not concerned about my phone looking cool

I'm not a young man any more, so I want my phone to work and be functional in my work flow
    It does

If iOS 6 builds on that, even if only incrementally, I am fine

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I do agree with you that nothing seems new or innovative, but hopefully when the next gen iPhone shows up it will bring something much newer to the table, like the 3G did with 3G + GPS, the 3GS did with video recording, the 4 did with front facing cameras,and the 4S did with digital assistants.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I'm exceedingly happy about the privacy controls and protections. That alone is enough to rejoice.

8. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'm content now with iOS 5. So, it will just be icing on the cake for me when iOS 6 is released. :)

9. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

I think your feeling is similar to Apple's. Just content. As great as the iPhone is, it can be better quicker. I think there should be more improvements in a full year than what has been advertised.

I'll sit back and wait for the iPhone "5" intro and see what they've been cooking up. Unfortunately, these keynotes have become more and more predictable over time. I'm pretty sure Schiller or Cook will throw up an image of the iPhone 5 we've seen circulating the web and start talking about marginal internal improvements, a few benefits of iOS, and then a pricing sheet telling everyone to go buy it.

Nothing all that new to see. :(

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

When you graduate to the big leagues you know where to go to get the information that Apple "isn't" telling the general public.

11. rikscha macrumors 6502a

12. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

on paper ios 6 doesnt scream I NEED THIS. But after using the ios 6 beta since beta 1 on my ipad and since beta 3 on my 4S I could never go back. alot of the new features are super convenient. Maps with Yelp Open table and turn by turn are badass. Facebook integration is great. Plus there are alot of things that were enabled under the hood that are going to make new apps more usefull. Bluetooth imap is 1 feature that will be sweet for things like the pebble wrist watch.

13. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Cool, yeah, that's like, SO important!
    Would you rather have a buggy stuttering "cool" device or a smooth running reliable one??? Who are your friends? C3PO & R2D2???

14. phillytim, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Why does iOS 6 need to be so radically different? It doesn't. And besides, it already includes some great new features that you didn't think you needed up until it's release, such as Passbook; also Bluetooth sharing, shared PhotoStreams, turn-by-turn navigation, enhanced Siri, and little things like auto-responding with a 'catch you later' kind of text message when someone calls you and you can't take it at that moment.

Do people moan and complain that BMW doesn't radically change their lines of cars with each year? No. Not at all.

iOS is a highly-refined, luxurious mobile operating system that needs only natural evolution, not year-changing revolutions. It already does what it does better than any other competitor.

The only reason Android is so radically different with each release is because it's evolving from nothing not so long ago. Its a cheap knock-off so they can only add a bunch of bells and whistles to make it into something that even approaches the level that iOS sits upon. But it's so counter-intuitive, convoluted and has so many option that most fear to touch that it's main audience is geeks, not the mainstream public.

What's going to happen with Android 5.0 when it becomes a one-trick pony (and iOS 6 certainly is no one-trick pony, make no mistake!) with nothing ground-breaking to revolutionize into? Are you guys gonna get bored then and bemoan it and threaten to come back to iOS?

Think about it!

15. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Then stick with iOS5 or get a droid. There's enough threads about people not being excited.

16. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

So you want Apple to release something cool so you can be a dick to others? How charming.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

I really like this article.

Why iOS 6 is more about Apple than new user features

It really does seem like this update is more about Apple cleaning house and prepping for their future. But the problem is that for end users then this stuff simply isn't interesting and it really does give the competition yet another generation in which they make gigantic leaps and Apple takes a few tip toes.

18. PatriotInvasion thread starter macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Excellent article and makes me feel a lot better about Apple's direction. Thanks for sharing!

19. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm not running the iOS 6 beta but i'm encouraged by a few things.

Many aggravations are disappearing. Like purchasing apps and being yanked out the store or an inability to see some content because the formatting is off.

I think that 2013 is going to deliver some surprises. Apple's whole lineup should have Bluetooth 4.0 by end of 2013 and I think you're going to see a lot of great uses for the technology.

Passbook - You know it has big plans because Apple seems so keen to not talk about it.

iOS 6 is a release that is about a thousand little steps forward that make life better. The the store option is one feature I'll use all the time. It should work like this.

I'm in Soundhound and I capture a song that I like. I want to purchase it from the App store. Rather than forcing a context switch to the music store app to purchase in iOS 6 a sheet just overlays with buying options and I make my purchase and back into the app.

Reducing the context switching in iOS is a great thing. It means a far better experience for both developers and end users.

20. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

I certainly see iOS 6 as an update to the iOS infrastructure in terms of future directions (away from google) and more refinements
    Is it revolutionary? no. However, after few days of usage, I don't think I can go back to iOS 5 anymore; and you will have to experience it yourself to see why ;)

21. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

The privacy features alone are worth getting excited about. I have always been concerned about importing my address book, calendars, and photographs with location data into iOS devices, because you just didn't know what an app was doing in the background that you couldn't see.

This has proven to be a wise decision, as it turns out there are a lot of apps out there scraping your personal data for who knows what purpose. (and I'm sure there are a lot that want access for perfectly legitimate reasons too)

If you aren't concerned about your data privacy at all, then that probably won't seem like a big deal.

I'm now much happier to try downloading an app because it went free (or cheap) for a weekend, rather than risk paying for it through unauthorised data collection.

Even then, we still aren't there yet. The next thing I'd like would be for apps to be granted permission to access your camera. While I am a developer, I haven't done anything camera-related, and so I don't know if it is possible for an app to access your camera (specifically the FaceTime camera) without it being visible on the display. Unlike the MacBooks, there's no LED on an iPad that lights up to show when it's active, which seems like a major privacy issue. Frankly I'd be happy if I could just turn the FaceTime camera off. It's too bad to be of any practical use, but good enough that I don't like it being there for privacy reasons.

The rest of the new features are mostly little tweaks that remove little annoyances throughout the OS, that add up to a noticeable improvement. Sure, there are no revolutionary features, but that doesn't mean it isn't exciting.

22. snowcrash macrumors regular

snowcrash

Why is this ALWAYS the argument? Just because someone likes the layout/style of Android doesn't mean that if Apple were to "jazz" up the home screens, lock screen and add some widgets that's what we will get. I love the look of what Android has to offer as far as look/feel but you can't rest on the fact that Apple is "keeping it simple" because if not it would run like crap, be buggy and not smooth. The layout is boring. Functional, yes, but boring none the less. I would like to have a little more customization and some live widgets. Doesn't mean that I am jumping ship and running over to Android. If Android had a SOLID phone and was able to integrate into the Apple ecosystem I think a lot of people would jump ship. The problem is that both of those things aren't happening yet. But with every release of a new Android flavor vs iOS I think Android is catching up. Again doesn't mean that Apple sucks because of that. Just would rather see Apple start spending a little more time making some excitement and not just stability since we already know that iOS is pretty damn stable. Now lets just spice it up some.

Not to mention YES it is important to people to have a little customization. My MBP and iMAC are customized the way I want it. I have a live desktop, changed my icons, pick and chose what programs are on the dock and what isn't, change colors and fonts, etc. Now if Apple was to start not allowing me to customize my computers I would be bummed. Sure it would still function, be a great product but I would look at people with Windows computers and say "damn wish I could change that, and do something like that but I'm not allowed to anymore".

23. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Yawn! There are so many threads on this topic already! I can't be arsed discussing this very tired topic...

24. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

This would be hugely convenient, but this has to be done on Soundhound's end, not Apple. I'd like to see links to popular streaming apps - Spotify, Rdio etc.

Hear a song, scan with SH, click Rdio link, add it to playlist.

Right now it's - hear song, SH, exit, find Rdio, search for artist, search for album, find song, play to hear if that's the one (could be live or something), add to playlist.

It's the little things in life, boys and girls.

25. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apple's already added the framework in iOS 6 :D

Other potential uses

EA sports does its annual Holiday Sale. Rather than use iTunes to search you simply hit a button in one of EA's games and it shows ALL their other apps that are on sale and you buy the ones you want.

App Advice updates their Apps Gone Free app. You peruse the daily choices and when you choose an app the overlay comes down and you purchase. Because iOS 6 doesn't require a password entry for free apps you're downloading and back into the AGF app in seconds looking for the next one.

Small but immensely convenient feature.