Just order my first iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by unfragile, Oct 31, 2013.

1. unfragile, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

unfragile macrumors regular

Hi,

I've just order my first iMac.

I've sold my early MacPro 2008 and my Avid PCIe HD2 system for an Avid HD Native Thunderbolt system with the new iMac 27" with 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 / 512SSD / 32GB (crucial.com) / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5

I hope i don't regret this move and at the end of this year I'm selling this iMac to get the nMacPro (2013) I hope not, it's to damn expensive the nMacPro. ;) joking

Anyone with the same iMac specs? How the experience? anything to point?

Thank you and regards to everyone,

UnFraGile (Marco)

2. aznboi91 macrumors regular

I think you should have gotten the 780m...

3. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

Why?

4. RodPinto macrumors regular

Agreed!

5. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Why not?

----------

Agreed-ception @.@

6. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

ok:apple:

7. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

8. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

Agree !! This is not a imac for games. I have jailbreak PS3 for that.

9. richard13 macrumors 6502a

Are you saying you intend to sell the iMac you just ordered in a couple months to buy the nMacPro? If so, that's just a waste of money. Computers are similar to cars in that they depreciate over time. You are going to take a hit selling the iMac even if it is only a couple months old.

As far as performance of the 2013 iMac is concerned there are many threads here that are already discussing this topic. Just do a search.

10. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to put a smile on that statement! I was joking... The new iMac its a great computer, I know I'm investing in a machine that loose value more quickly than a MacPro. But i don't have 1000$ +/- to spend and i need a reliable computer to work 24/5.

Thank you Richard13

11. MikeChicago macrumors member

I just love how people say you should have gotten then 780M without any consideration for your needs or your budget. The 775M is proving to be a quite capable graphics card. I think you'll be very happy.

12. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

You're quite the evangelist for the 775m.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Maybe the chap doesn't play BF4 at ultra max settings plus AA?

14. jordanm86 macrumors regular

I got the same spec but with the 780M.

Boot times (after the initial startup with new ram which seems to take a bit longer) is around 10-12 seconds. Booting up Photoshop is under 2 seconds. Mavericks RAM usage is pretty heavy so I would say the 32GB is a good idea.

I have just installed 32GB Crucial RAM and 30 mins in, no issues (I previously had some kingston RAM in and was getting kernel panics - it was 1.5v but apple rep told me that should be fine).

Multi-tasking is really good on the machine, I had 6 youtube videos open and playing, photoshop open with a few docs, illustrator open with a few docs and was using premiere pro... no noticeable lag (granted I was not processing the video at the time and was just editing but still...)!

As you mention that you're using a Avid HD Thunderbolt, i'll mention sound. If you're an audiophile, you probably won't like the built in speakers and say they are a bit 'tinny' with little bass (though I imagine you have monitors). Personally, for the 'regular joe' like me who just listens to music at a mid level (not blaring out) whilst working they're great. Yes, a little lacking in the bass but I have separate speakers and a sub for my MBP so can use that if i'm really bothered.

The iMac fan(s) (not sure if there's more than one) are SUPER quiet. I used a decibel meter app on my iPhone (probably not fantastically accurate but just as a gauge) and when the iMac in use there was no difference in reading from 30 cm away!

I have noticed no raise in temperature on the machine when in use.

Overall, it's pretty darn fast, super quiet and comes with the added bonus of being an 'all in one' (less cables/clutter).

In comparison to a Mac Pro, unless you are pushing the iMac to it's limits, you probably aren't going to see much of a difference.

15. MikeChicago macrumors member

No, not really. I just dislike the cool-aid drinking herd mentality seen here.

16. TheyCallMeBT macrumors member

So for 32, you guys are going with 4 sticks of 8 GB, right? Which comes up to about $330 USD from Crucial.com.

17. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

That's for sure!

----------

I think most people on these forums understand the benefit that the 680m has over the 775m in taxing games like BF4. That is all.

18. MikeChicago macrumors member

No, I know. I also understand the advantage of the 780M in playing games like BF4, but the OP explicitly stated that this wasn't a gaming machine (unless I'm missing something). Yet, everyone jumped in to say he should have gotten the 780M instead, why?

I find that odd, that's all.

19. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I understand your point. However, if you plan to use it for many years, it's a small price considering the upgrade you get it.

20. aznboi91 macrumors regular

Man... I plan on using it every day... If you can max out it's potential then its best... If all you do is read email and browse the web... it would be a waste...

Also moving forward.... I wouldn't be surprised if all graphic processing was shifted off the CPU to a dedicated card. Especially new fancy gestures and animations are introduced..... 3d rendering takes advantage of it too...

21. etichi macrumors newbie

Me too! It came yesterday. I had a late 2008 mac book pro which in comparison has a teeny tiny screen. You'll love it.

22. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Mike,

I'm in test mode, the iMac is a very powerful computer, It will fit my needs for sure.
    I'm having some trouble with the 32GB kit from crucial, from time to time the computer reboots by itself. It seems a bad memory.

The Apple Diagnostics don't see any problem. It's weird, but I will find the bad memory.

I'll keep in touch.

Regards,

----------

I'm loving it, the silence is "HUGE" ehehehehe

I just have a memory problem that I need to resolve. I've bought a 32Gb crucial and from time to time the iMac makes a reboot by itself.

23. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Jordan,

I've bought the memory from crucial too, But it seems that I have a bad memory, from time to time the iMac reboots by itself. The Apple diagnostic don't see any problem, the terminal memorytest too. I need to identify the problem fast to send it back.

About the iMac Fan, it's a "HUGE" Silence :) I just heard the fan when making a SMC update and that's it.

The iMac it will fit in my workflow for sure, I've open a session that I have done in a Avid Pro tools TDM HD5 system, it was almost full DSP and the CPU 60%, in this iMac it only shows 30%.

About the sound, I'm not a audiophile purist, I like to hear good sound. I have Genelec 8030.

I will use the built in speakers for sure, they are low on bass but for regular use they are fine. For mixing and listening music I choose Genelec 8030 ;)

I'm very happy that I choose the iMac.

24. unfragile thread starter macrumors regular

I'm still having the kernel panics since I upgraded the memory to Crucial 32Gb ram
    specs:
    Module Size: 2x16GB kit (8GBx4)
    Package: 204-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR3 PC3-12800
    Specs: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 • lead free • halogen free • for Mac

I've done terminal memtest, Apple Diagnostic Hardware test, diglloydTools memory test no one give me an error, but after a few hours it restart by itself and give me report with Kernel Panic

"BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task"

I'm running now only with the 8Gb from Apple to see if the problem appears.

25. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Very simple return the RAM and get it replaced with the correct RAM from Crucial. If you are in North America you can also order from OWC at www.macsales.com. The correct specifications are:

4 x 8.0GB 1600MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM PC12800 204 Pin