Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Very simple return the RAM and get it replaced with the correct RAM from Crucial. If you are in North America you can also order from OWC at http://www.macsales.com. The correct specifications are:

4 x 8.0GB 1600MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM PC12800 204 Pin

The specs are the same rkaufmann87!

I'm from Portugal I can't get OWC memories, I'd love too, but duty tax here is ridiculous.

Yes I will return it and ask for the replacement. But i don't think it's all the memory stick that are broken, I think is just one. But I still didn't manage to figure out.

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
I'd like to everyone know that I returned the iMac.

It's a wonderful machine, but 8GB it's not enough for me.

(the test was with 32Gb)

Geekbench 2.0 32bits score was - 14134

Geekbench 2.0 64bits score was - 15988

Geekbench 3.0 32bits score was - 13376

I might buy another when the 3rd party memory issue is resolved.

Ti'll then I want the money in my pocket and might choose to buy the nMacPro.

Regards,
UnFraGile

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
I'd like to everyone know that I returned the iMac.

It's a wonderful machine, but 8GB it's not enough for me.

(the test was with 32Gb)

Geekbench 2.0 32bits score was - 14134

Geekbench 2.0 64bits score was - 15988

Geekbench 3.0 32bits score was - 13376

I might buy another when the 3rd party memory issue is resolved.

Ti'll then I want the money in my pocket and might choose to buy the nMacPro.

Regards,
UnFraGile

Same here... such a shame - if Apple had just said "yes, there's a firmware issue and we're working on it... please bear with us and use less RAM until a patch comes out" I may have kept the machine.

Unfortunately, being asked to repeatedly re-sit the RAM, run a fruitless Apple Diagnostics test (pun intended :p) and do a clean install took it's toll on my patience.

My was received last week so refund should be complete soon.

Still waiting to hear from Crucial as to whether they received my return :-/

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Same here... such a shame - if Apple had just said "yes, there's a firmware issue and we're working on it... please bear with us and use less RAM until a patch comes out" I may have kept the machine.

Unfortunately, being asked to repeatedly re-sit the RAM, run a fruitless Apple Diagnostics test (pun intended :p) and do a clean install took it's toll on my patience.

My was received last week so refund should be complete soon.

Still waiting to hear from Crucial as to whether they received my return :-/

I'm with you, I'd keep my iMac if they say it will be resolved.

Sad...

Mac Pro it's almost here, let's see what it really brings.

:)

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
Mac Pro it's almost here, let's see what it really brings.

You mean besides the hefty price tag? Then you still need a monitor.

I'm getting a bit discouraged myself. I've wanted to replace my 2009 iMac for the last 2 years. I almost pulled the trigger on this latest one, but the monitor issues are keeping me on the sideline.

I was going to purchase my wife the new rMini and myself a new iMac. Seems Apple's quality and/or cost cutting is reaching new lows. Sad really, because this company has more money than they know what to do with.

Releasing inferior products and a premium price is BS.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
You mean besides the hefty price tag? Then you still need a monitor.

I'm getting a bit discouraged myself. I've wanted to replace my 2009 iMac for the last 2 years. I almost pulled the trigger on this latest one, but the monitor issues are keeping me on the sideline.

I was going to purchase my wife the new rMini and myself a new iMac. Seems Apple's quality and/or cost cutting is reaching new lows. Sad really, because this company has more money than they know what to do with.

Releasing inferior products and a premium price is BS.

You think they're releasing poor LCD's on purpose? Give me a break. I'm sure if Samsung could produce all their LCD's for them, they would. However, Samsung cannot meet the complete demand, thus, LG and Sharp fill the gap. Unfortunately, the latter two manufactures are having issues producing these monitors of high quality, not Apple.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The specs are the same rkaufmann87!

I'm from Portugal I can't get OWC memories, I'd love too, but duty tax here is ridiculous.

Yes I will return it and ask for the replacement. But i don't think it's all the memory stick that are broken, I think is just one. But I still didn't manage to figure out.

Vc e Portugues? Eu tambem! :D

For RAM, normally I just buy Apple OEMs like Samsung or Hynix. Safer :)

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Vc e Portugues? Eu tambem! :D

For RAM, normally I just buy Apple OEMs like Samsung or Hynix. Safer :)

Olá yjchua95 ;)

Decidi devolver o iMac e as memorias, se vierem entretanto a resolver o problema irei buscar novamente o iMac (porque é um computador muito bom mesmo), se não escolho o novo MacPro com thunderbolt display.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Olá yjchua95 ;)

Decidi devolver o iMac e as memorias, se vierem entretanto a resolver o problema irei buscar novamente o iMac (porque é um computador muito bom mesmo), se não escolho o novo MacPro com thunderbolt display.

Eu concordo tambem, mas o Mac Pro não será disponível neste ano.

Even at best estimates, I'll bet that it (the Mac Pro) will only start shipping in full force sometime in February next year.

PS I posted part of this in English for the benefit of others.

Do pardon my Portuguese if it's a bit funny, because I'm too used to speaking the variant of Portuguese used in Malaysia. I'm more comfortable with English, but it's nice to encounter someone from my homeland once in a while :)

Qual é a sua cidade natal?
Sou de Praia da Vitoria, Açores.

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Eu concordo tambem, mas o Mac Pro não será disponível neste ano.

Even at best estimates, I'll bet that it (the Mac Pro) will only start shipping in full force sometime in February next year.

PS I posted part of this in English for the benefit of others.

Do pardon my Portuguese if it's a bit funny, because I'm too used to speaking the variant of Portuguese used in Malaysia. I'm more comfortable with English, but it's nice to encounter someone from my homeland once in a while :)

Qual é a sua cidade natal?
Sou de Praia da Vitoria, Açores.

I'm from Lisbon, Portugal.

It's quite sad to return this new iMac, but I have to protect my investment, Apple don't say it will be resolved, we assume and hope that will be.

The New Mac Pro is right at the corner, its more expensive than this iMac 1K€ when you add a Thunderbolt Display 27".

It have some Pros in my opinion, just my 2cents:

- 6x Thunderbolt v2 vs 2x Thunderbolt v1
- Xeon vs i7
- New technology vs "Old" Technology (not to old I know but you understand what my point)
- dual GPU vs 1 GPU (not as I need it)
- less loss in value for the buck (i've sold my old Mac Pro 2008 for 1.5K€ this year, i've bough in february 2008 for 2.5K€)

All I can say is the new iMac fits my needs very well, it was sad about this "little" issue. I really can't work with 8GB.

Regards,
Marco

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
I'm from Lisbon, Portugal.

It's quite sad to return this new iMac, but I have to protect my investment, Apple don't say it will be resolved, we assume and hope that will be.

The New Mac Pro is right at the corner, its more expensive than this iMac 1K€ when you add a Thunderbolt Display 27".

It have some Pros in my opinion, just my 2cents:

- 6x Thunderbolt v2 vs 2x Thunderbolt v1
- Xeon vs i7
- New technology vs "Old" Technology (not to old I know but you understand what my point)
- dual GPU vs 1 GPU (not as I need it)
- less loss in value for the buck (i've sold my old Mac Pro 2008 for 1.5K€ this year, i've bough in february 2008 for 2.5K€)

All I can say is the new iMac fits my needs very well, it was sad about this "little" issue. I really can't work with 8GB.

Regards,
Marco

Perhaps it's something with your RAM stick or the logic board. I originally went for 8GB and upgraded it to 32GB with Samsung sticks post-purchase. No problems at all.

The Mac Pro, yes it's a beast, but...the price. Even in where I live, where there's no VAT, it still costs like hell. But yes, it does have its advantages.

I'm keeping my old Mac Pros until I earn enough cash from my freelance photographing job and sell them off to buy the new ones :)

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
You think they're releasing poor LCD's on purpose? Give me a break. I'm sure if Samsung could produce all their LCD's for them, they would. However, Samsung cannot meet the complete demand, thus, LG and Sharp fill the gap. Unfortunately, the latter two manufactures are having issues producing these monitors of high quality, not Apple.

I never said or implied Apple is releasing poor LCDs on purpose.

The fact of the matter is the responsibility starts and stops with APPLE. If they contract with vendors who are supplying poor LCDs, it is STILL APPLE's problem. I don't care who supplies the parts, if I get an inferior APPLE product, I'm placing the blame on APPLE.

Find better vendors. This 27" iMac has been around a while. There is no excuse for this mess, and Apple should own up to it.

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
Perhaps it's something with your RAM stick or the logic board. I originally went for 8GB and upgraded it to 32GB with Samsung sticks post-purchase. No problems at all.

I've tested all memories one by one, with stress tests and everything is fine.

When I inserted more than 2 memory sticks, after a couple of hours of even day it restart by itself and report a kernel panic.

Most of the times the restart was at night, in sleep mode. No open programs, etc..

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I never said or implied Apple is releasing poor LCDs on purpose.

The fact of the matter is the responsibility starts and stops with APPLE. If they contract with vendors who are supplying poor LCDs, it is STILL APPLE's problem. I don't care who supplies the parts, if I get an inferior APPLE product, I'm placing the blame on APPLE.

Find better vendors. This 27" iMac has been around a while. There is no excuse for this mess, and Apple should own up to it.

Yes, but you did say that they are releasing inferior products. I'm sure this isn't coming to Apple execs before the release, but soon after.

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States
Just about the same computer.

I own just about the same iMac that you are buying. I enjoy it very much. The new iMacs run smoothly and really are truly wonderful.

If you have any questions regarding the iMac, feel free to ask.

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
I own just about the same iMac that you are buying. I enjoy it very much. The new iMacs run smoothly and really are truly wonderful.

If you have any questions regarding the iMac, feel free to ask.

Please don't get me wrong, the new iMac is a wonderful machine!

It's quite supperb the overall performance, but it itches' me this "little" problem.

I need 32Gb of memory. but 600€ (apple) compared with 240€ (crucial) it's a huge diference.

cammyg123

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2013
United States

It's quite supperb the overall performance, but it itches' me this "little" problem.

I need 32Gb of memory. but 600€ (apple) compared with 240€ (crucial) it's a huge diference.

I totally understand, huge price difference :mad: none the less it's one of my favorite iMac's.

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011

I totally understand, huge price difference :mad: none the less it's one of my favorite iMac's.

I returned mine for the same reason and bit the bullet paying the extortionate amount for the Apple RAM on a new machine.

It got delivered yesterday and was pretty poorly packed compared to the first one (though it was in a mavericks box this time). There was bits of what looked like grass/dirt under the sticker that sealed the box, the internal cellophane was twisted and not applied properly and to top it all off, when I switched it on, the screen was patchy/mottled and there is a dark line running down the screen (near the centre) about an inch thick. It's not as bad as some I have seen online, but for £3000, I would want my machine to have a perfect screen.

My third iMac is coming next week, fingers crossed third time lucky.

unfragile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2013
I returned mine for the same reason and bit the bullet paying the extortionate amount for the Apple RAM on a new machine.

It got delivered yesterday and was pretty poorly packed compared to the first one (though it was in a mavericks box this time). There was bits of what looked like grass/dirt under the sticker that sealed the box, the internal cellophane was twisted and not applied properly and to top it all off, when I switched it on, the screen was patchy/mottled and there is a dark line running down the screen (near the centre) about an inch thick. It's not as bad as some I have seen online, but for £3000, I would want my machine to have a perfect screen.

My third iMac is coming next week, fingers crossed third time lucky.

I've returned mine but didn't ask for another iMac. I will wait till the issues is resolved or might choose the nMacPro.

Specs:
Quad-Core and Dual GPU
3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor upgrade to 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor (if they give the option)
12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
Dual AMD FirePro D300
with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
256GB PCIe-based flash storage

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.