Just ordered a MacBook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gillboyswims96, Jun 23, 2009.

1. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

*warning just ordered my first mac!*

I just ordered a white macbook 160 hard drive, 2 gig ram (my dad didnt want to pay more :eek:) and I am just wondering if i will be able to squeeze 4 ish years out of it (or hopefully more)?

i will be using it for music, some video editing, typing papers, basic stuff pretty much. and probably a BUNCH of photobooth! I have a external though so im probably gonna save most papers and videos onto that.

so yea. answer if pleasee

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

3. Blakely028 macrumors regular

Blakely028

Congrats, welcome to the fold!
    Yeah, your Whitebook should last at least 4 years :)

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

Just remember backup if you're goning to save everything to the external drive! If it fails it's all gone!

5. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    I've been using a White Book since September 2007, and I love it! It will definitely last 4+ years. A piece of advice, get a neoprene sleeve. I have hair scratches on the plastic that would have been avoided if I originally had a case. I regret not starting out with a sleeve.

6. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Congratulations - you'll love it! 4 years shouldn't be a problem - just keep it at least 6 feet away from soft drinks. ;)

7. gillboyswims96 thread starter macrumors regular

yup. ill probably going to get one of those in case i have to put it in a backpack or something, but im going to probably also make my own case for it too...:rolleyes:

that shouldnt be a problem considering i only drink water :p

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Water will kill it just as fast as a soft drink, especially hard water.

9. gillboyswims96 thread starter macrumors regular

i know. i know. i forgot to say that in my post tho... lol...

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will usually last you 6 years, so yeah, 4 years is within range. Also, since you are a non-demanding user (you just do basic stuff), I have a feeling that Mac may last longer and will be up to speed for many years before you see a performance difference

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Definitely. My 800mhz iBook G4 lasted me until I got my UMB. The nail in the coffin for the iBook was it's inability to playback 480p or greater online streaming video. Other then that, it still ran/runs fine!!

12. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Congrats on the Mac.

If you do heavy video editing, it may be wise to upgrade to 4GB of RAM down the road for like $60...but no matter what, that MacBook should suit you well.

Goodluck...

13. excommie macrumors regular

to protect it (if you care about how it looks), I recommend InCase plastic shell. Also, if you want to avoid palm rest cracks get Moshi palm guard. I have both of these, well worth the price. Also, upgrade RAM yourself for about 40-45 USD. You don't even have to open it up, just remove the battery and 3 screws inside

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Gee, a hard shell plastic case to protect the already hard shell plastic case that Macbook has? R U serious? And the Moshi palm rests. That's too much. The OP might as well put the Macbook between 2 pillows.

I say, just get a sleeve to slide it in for portability and just use the computer as is. It's not delicate flower.

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

16. RDM3 macrumors regular

I 2nd the RAM upgrade

17. gillboyswims96 thread starter macrumors regular

I was already going to upgrade the ra
    .... Am I able to take it to like best buy to upgrade the ram? I'm not illiterate but I just don't want to damage it...

18. excommie macrumors regular

I sell my stuff within a year, every time. So having this stuff in decent condition helps a lot for resale value. Each macbook I sold, I lost less than $150.00. So it is cheaper than buying applecare and I have refreshed equipment every time. Last time I even sold the incase for about $40.00.
    I recently started using moshi palmguard after reading about cracks on palmguard.

19. Nobita macrumors 6502

If you add more RAM and hard disk space in 2-3 years, and if you upgrade to snow leopard, I'm sure you can squeeze at least 5 years from that macbook.

I hope I will squeeze that much too with my aluminum collector's edition macbook =)

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You have a point as these things are meant to be used but who knows... he may want to sell it early and macs have great resale value.

I put a cheap plastic case on mine right after I bought it and it's still in pristine condition.

21. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

The whitebook is fine but man... You should've used that $999 price as a starting point to work him up to the Pro for another $200. Maybe told him you'd wait a couple of months even and detailed his car. :D

It's nice to see a kid around here settle for what he can get though and be happy with it.

22. gillboyswims96 thread starter macrumors regular

you dont think i tried? :confused::confused::confused:
    ive waited three years... :rolleyes:

money is something my dad doesnt really like to talk about. its not that we are poor, its that my dad is very... protective of it... :eek:

23. gillboyswims96 thread starter macrumors regular

once again, can anyone please tell me if you can take your macbook to best buy or a apple store and have them up the ram?

24. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yup, you can. Best buy will charge you way too much for the RAM and the install. The Apple store will just charge you too much for the RAM but put it in freebie I think.

It's very easy to do yourself btw. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651 And click the "Installing Memory" under "Other Computers" for a detailed process.

25. RDM3 macrumors regular

Adding RAM to a Macbook is simple, just go to newegg.com or crucial.com or even macsales.com, get matched RAM and check out the videos on youtibe, it really is simple.