Just ordered a unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by D A, Dec 16, 2008.

1. D A macrumors regular

So I ordered a a unibody MBP a little earlier today, but I need to go to the bank to transfer the money to Apple. Hoping that won't take too long as I really want it soon.

I took the base model 2.4GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB 5400rpm HD with the Mini Displayport to DVI adapter. As I am a student I got this for about €145 less than the list price.

I know the actual shipping wont take more than a couple of days, but how long will it take for the bank to process the transfer? Kinda hoping to get it before the end of the year.

Also, should I run it on battery or AC after unboxing it?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Congrats! That will depend on your bank, but normally transfers take between 3-5 *business* days

Charge the battery to 100% out of the box, then drain it once and leave over night to fully discharge, then reconnect it in the morning to charge.

3. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Congrats! I just got a unibody to replace my MBP and have been very happy with it so far.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. UA412 macrumors member

Just bought the same computer. I got the 2-3 day shipping. It says it should arrive from the 17th to the 23rd(Ordered on the 15th) I'm so excited. Been saving up for awhile.

Any advice on programs to get or tips for a first time mac user?

6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

iStat Pro widget
    Firefox or Opera (always good to have a 2nd browser in addition to Safari)
    Flip4Mac (allows QuickTime to play Windows Media files)
  7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20)

if you do any document composition or ppts, I would highly encourage you to get office 04/08 either is good for most projects

8. UA412 macrumors member

Yeah, I'm in college so that will be one of the first things I get.

9. jsbarone macrumors regular

I may have missed a few apps, but this is a good list

My Apps List:

Growl
    GrowlTunes
    Flip4Mac
    Transmission
    Coda
    Transmit
    Adium
    iWork
    SMCFanControl
    Quicksilver
    Onyx
    XSlimmer
    VLC

10. D A thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.

I went to the bank a little earlier today to transfer the money. Now I can only wait for Apple to receive it so they can ship the notebook. I hope it arrives before this year is over.

11. Apple addict macrumors member

Congratulations

I have the same model, one of the best laptops I have ever owned.
    Istat Pro, Flip for Mac on mine. Thinking about installing Parallels and XP also.

Enjoy.

Gary

12. UA412 macrumors member

Couple questions...

Is VLC the best(Or one of the best) movie player for the mac? Will it be able to play everything or atleast most things?

Transmission is for torrents right? Have you tried the Utorrent beta yet?

13. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I use VLC as well for all my media. It plays avi, mp4, mp3, and DVDs as well and does a fantastic job with an easy UI.
    Also, not sure if you knew but Flip4Mac allows you to play windows media web content using quicktime. Its a really neat plugin.

Transmission is also a great torrent download utility. It runs on very little RAM/cpu and the best feature is that it can be throttled down in case others in your house need to use the internet at a reasonable speed, meaning you can download at any bitrate that is user-adjustable. I have not tried Utorrent yet, but have heard very good things about it.

14. UA412 macrumors member

Ok thanks. Yeah I use VLC for pc and love it and I'll make sure to download flip.

15. sal macrumors 6502

good list! I would add the following

GimmeSomeTune - get album work/lyrics for your music
    diskInventoryX - found out what files are taking up hard drive space
    handbrake - encode videos/dvds to iphone/ipod/appleTV format.
    superDuper - Great for backup
    TinkerTool - gives you ability to "tinker" settings and change how finder/safari/dock interacts

16. jsbarone macrumors regular

I could have sworn I put Handbrake in there. Looks like I missed it. I'd also add Visualhub to the list, but it looks like it's been discontinued. I think it's been revived under another name somewhere.

I haven't tried uTorrent yet----when I was a Windows user that was my torrent client of choice. I've since learned to love Transmission and don't have any desire to switch back.

17. UA412 macrumors member

Thanks for all the recommendations.

One last question. There is a dvd maker program already on the MBP right? Something similar to Windows DVD maker?

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Yes, iDVD

19. D A thread starter macrumors regular

The wire-transfer went through earlier today and it is now in the build stage, with a estimate of 8 business days till it should be shipped. My order is CTO, the base model with the mini displayport to DVI adapter.

How accurate is the 8 business days before shipping?

20. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

just waiting for it to come is a great feeling :D

21. D A thread starter macrumors regular

The order status changed today from "Not shipped yet" (or whatever) to "Prepared for shipment". Any other stages it will go through before it actually ships?

If it starts shipping tomorrow, from where will that be? Some part of Europe or from where the machines are built? I don't expect it to show up before the 29th as more or less no-one works on the 24th to 26th in Sweden.

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

china, it will ship from china to you. after "Prepared for shipment" it will ship.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is open office available for Mac?

Id suggest that over the outrageously priced Office.

24. UA412 macrumors member

Mine is so close. I ordered it on the 15 and then it said shipped on the 19th. It's in Memphis right now but it says it won't be delivered till the 24th.

25. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The OP reminds me of my 8 year old nephew the week before Christmas. "Is it here yet! How many more days?!" LOL