Just ordered an iPhone 2g...am I a little late? Calling all iPhone collecters!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hi guys! I am going to start collecting past iPhones! I just found a working 2g on eBay for 45 bucks and it should be here on Thursday. My next purchase will probably be a 3g or a 4 :D

Does anyone else collect old iPhones? Anyone selling a 3g or 3gs? Lol. I would love to hear about anyones iPhone collections :)

2. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

What's the condition? I started over a year ago, but still looking for mint condition phones.

3. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I do sort of wish I had kept my original iPhone. But the fact that iPhones retain their value pretty well deters me from wanting to actually try and collect them. I'd rather sell it when its fairly new and get a couple hundred bucks than have it just lying around the house in a drawer. Maybe it's worth trying to track the older models down like you are doing.

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I bought my first iPhone in January of 2008 and only had it for about 6 months when I sold it and bought the 3G. It was in perfect condition and I wish so much that I had kept it. It's the only iPhone that I would actually keep though.

5. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

U mean this? Good pickup op

Attached Files:

6. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Last year, I bought an 8GB iPhone 2G off eBay for around $60. Had a crack on the glass above the screen area (not on screen view, just above), and the seller showed the serial on the auction. Checked it, asked and made sure he never taken it apart or had a 3rd party fix it, then bought it.

When I got it, I pushed a request to Apple for battery replacement, $80 (this was before it became considered obsolete). Sent it in with the box they sent me (I kept the SIM removal tool they included though!), then got a pristine refurb back a few days later, wrapped in plastic. However, after playing with the one I had originally purchased before the swap, I realized it was impractical for me to keep, and I decided I could not retain my interest in it. I put the refurb up on auction, plastics still intact, and sold it to a kind lady in Canada through eBay for $320. I had the original phone unlocked through AT&T before the swap, so I assumed the replacement would carry the unlock as well and advertised it as unlocked - I never activated it though, only powered it on to see the connect to iTunes logo come on, but left plastics on. Buyer received, and left me positive feedback, so I assumed all went well with the phone unlock.

Sometimes, I think back and wish I had not sold it. But, I look at my current iPhone, and smile at the progression of technology, how far the iPhone experience has come, and how much it has changed. :) Sent from my iPhone.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, I picked up a working 2G and 3GS on eBay as well. Had them on my plan until today. Dropped them both in exchange for upgrading to 30GB data plan. They work great still. Will probably keep them as collector's items.

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Get
    1st gen
    3GS
    4S
    5S
    5C

And you have a complete form factor collection

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I kept my original iPhone and the 4S. I still have my 5 too, but it's gone soon.

11. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

YES, it's not jut me.

Been hoarding my iPhones since day 1.
    Have the Edge (original iPhone), 3GS, 4S and hopefully 6+

Good catch OP

12. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

The description said that it has some scratches on the screen and on the back. The main thing I was looking for was that it worked :) The seller said that it works and is ready to be activated (Yeah like im gonna activate and use it! Lol!) and has a clean ESN :) I wish I could find a mint one, but they were pretty pricey

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I got the iPhone 2g when they put the 4gb versions on clearance for $299, I had just broke my flip phone and they wanted like $500 for a replacement since I was on contract. I loved that first iphone and used it for almost 2 years before switching to att and getting a 3gs

14. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

I defiantly hear ya about the price! Lol! I'm dreading the day when I have to start looking for a 5 and 5c! Lol! I think its worth it if you can find em cheap :) Im not really looking for mint condition, my only wish is that they work :)

----------

I don't think it is in that great condition as yours, but yes! Thats it!

BTW, your 2g is BEAUTIFUL! Looks brand new! Lol.

----------

Wow thats a great story! I like the fact that you restored it :) Mine will probably just sit in my little Apple collection! lol. I cant WAIT to compare it to my 5s!!

15. Jayson A macrumors 68000

Does it bend though?

16. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'm glad to be apart of the iPhone collectors club (hey I should make a Facebook group for this! Lol)! I have ALWAYS wanted to collect older iPhones, but never had the cash to back it up! Lol!

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Like new!! I want it. I have mine but its scratched.

18. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about just doing the numbered models! That would save me ALOT of money! Lol. I think that is what I'll do :) And I already have the 5s, so thats covered! BUT, I have always wanted a slate iP5!

----------

Wow I wish I could have had every iPhone when they came out! Hey, better late than never! Lol!

19. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Yea i love the design it was so ahead of its time.

----------

I couldve collected all models but i decided to go with the S series models because they are the revamped versions.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I have looked over iFixit for repair parts to replace the metal casing, but no luck. I also need a new battery to help breath some life into the little guy.

Unluckily Apple is no longer helping out.

21. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL!! I dont think the 11.6 mm 2g is gonna budge! Lol!

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

The problem is that the phone is outdated now and makes you want to not use it.

Attached Files:

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Same, my 2g has a huge dent mark in the middle. I still don't recall how I got it, but I remember it had something to do with a ping pong table. It still works great though.

24. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

25. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I'm joking of course!