Just Ordered an MBA Today. Should I cancel?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shash747, Aug 12, 2014.

  1. shash747 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2014
    #1
    I just ordered a 13inch MBA today.

    Hours after buying - I'm hearing about this recent Intel announcement saying Broadwell chips are finally available and devices running them will hit stores in the holiday season.

    This means Macbook Airs with Retina will probably launch in a couple of months right? If so - should I cancel my order and wait for one? Is it really worth it?

    I got the 13'' MBA for $1050 (I'm in India where it retails for $1430). I can't figure if waiting for the upgrade is worth it. The factors I'm considering are:

    - The newer lineup will not be available for as low $1050. I will have to shell out more, perhaps substantially more.
    - The new lineup may not be revolutionary enough at all to justify the wait.
    - The new lineup may not release at all this year!

    I have less than 24 hours if I want to cancel. Advice please?
     
  2. 960design macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Location:
    Destin, FL
    #2
    Please do NOT cancel.
    Please do NOT chase technology.
    Please do NOT feed the trolls.
    Please do NOT tug on Superman's cape.

    The first gen Broadwell chips may have issues, your MBA will be good for 2 - 3 years, at that point you can worry about the upcoming Cannonlake.
     
  3. Jinzen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2012
    #3
    My Early 2013 Macbook Pro 15" Retina will be almost 2 years old soon.

    But as a 2.7/512/16gb machine, it is basically exactly the same as the brand new 15" Macbook Pros (which have an hour extra battery life).

    He shouldn't be canceling because of Broadwell, he should be canceling because the MB Air is so far behind in everything else (Screen tech, transformability etc).
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    We have no idea when Apple will roll out a broadwell based MBA. If you cancel are you prepared to wait weeks if not months?
     
  5. cbdilger macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2013
    Location:
    West Lafayette, IN
    #5
    Yeah, waiting for a new Mini hasn't been a very good strategy. Or a new Thunderbolt display...

    My 13" Air is a year old and I'm still thrilled with it.
     
  6. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #6
    My late 2011 15" MBP is going strong. I'm dismayed that it might be "voted off the island" for the "handoff" feature of Yosemite but otherwise I have no reason to consider upgrading any time soon.

    As for cancelling an order that you just placed? I faced this when I bought my Macbook back in 2008. I didn't know how to use the MR buyers' guides back then and picked up a Santa Rosa MB about 3 weeks before the Penryn model came out. I took it back, paid restocking and got the Penryn Macbook because it came with features that would have cost more than the modest restocking fee I paid at the time.

    So my first experience "migrating" from one Mac to another happened only a month after I bought that MB. I connected a firewire cable between them, put the first one in target disk mode and had everything over on the new MB in a matter of minutes.

    A MBA is a nonupgradeable (mostly) machine so if you have any doubts, perhaps you might consider cancelling so you can order more RAM or more storage but I would not cancel your order over "rumors" of a new CPU without a specific availability date in mind.
     
  7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #7
    No.

    Keep it.

    The chips you refer to are the M version, not expected to be used in the MBA as they are ultra low power.
     
  8. shash747 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2014
    #8
  9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #9
    Yawn. Do whatever you like.

    Think about your mental state. You were happy to buy an MBA. If you had never heard of some new fancy schmancy processor, you would have received an MBA and used it happily. And suddenly, you here some rumour, so you are cancelling the order, you won't get a new Mac, you will wait six months, give up waiting, order an MBA, and just when you can't return it anymore a new MBA will be released which means you wasted six months not having a new MBA, for nothing. So then you sell your MBA, at a loss, buy a new one, and it turns out it isn't much better than the old model anyway.

    And all the time, you could have happily used a nice MBA.
     
  10. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

    ggibson913

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    #10
    I do recommend upgrading the RAM to 8GB but outside of that you are going to have a fine machine for years to come. There is always new and exciting and there is no doubt that this year's machine will be more impressive than last year's model but in Modern laptops, almost anything younger than 5 years should be fully capable.
     
  11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #11
    Irrelevant.

    If you want to cancel based on an ignorant article, go ahead. But the Broadwell chip series equivalent to what Apple has used will not be available until next year.

    Waiting for "X" is the equivalent of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.
     
  12. Macsonic macrumors 65816

    Macsonic

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2009
    Location:
    Earth
    #12
    Hi Shash747. If you need the MBA for your work or daily tasks , I think it's fine to go ahead with your order and no need to cancel. Try to take into consideration the software and tasks you will do as the speed difference may only be minimal or not noticeable with the next newer chips. Plus the new upcoming MBA is untested so there is a chance there might be bugs and like the other members said, we could not tell when the new MBA will be released.
     
  13. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

    thetechfixer

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    Don't Worry about it, the computer will be fine for the next few years for you. I still use a 3+ Year Old MacBook Pro and it works beautifully.
     
  14. shash747 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2014
    #15
    Thank you!

    Didn't cancel.
    It arrived, and I love it :D

    Thank you everyone :)
     

Share This Page