Just ordered iMac G4...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by musika, Feb 26, 2012.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Hey all

I just ordered myself a nice little iMac G4 15 inch, 1 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM, 80 GB Hard drive on Amazon for $55 (+$20 shipping). Just for my collection/love of the design and also I'll keep it in my room for music, light browsing, email, documents. Not my main computer of course.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330317333.933717.jpg

How does this sound for $55? I'm absolutely stoked to get this thing, come this Friday. I'll update you guys and girls with my setup come Friday.

Cheers!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

One thing I love about Apple is just this. No matter how old they are, they're still exciting and fun to use.

I once used a G3 iMac as an alarm clock and jukebox. I miss the darn thing :(

Excuse me, gotta finish shoveling these 5-year-old HP's into the trash.

3. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Looks like a nice iMac G4! I have one, pretty much exactly the same spec's except mine has a 17" LCD. It's awesome to use and it hasn't given me any real problems at all. It boots up really fast as well, so I use it quite frequently to check email and such. Mine runs Tiger 10.4.11 as well.

As far as browsing, it does fine. Youtube is OK at 240p, but if you try to go higher it tends to get a little choppy (but thats expected). All the other sites I use seem to do OK. I'm sure adding additional RAM would help (I think the 1GHz models can go up to 2GB) but I haven't got around to it yet.

Congrats again on your purchase! :apple:

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

That's a great deal for an iMac G4. Be sure to upgrade it to 2GB of RAM to milk the most performance out it. I used to have a 17" 1.25GHz iMac G4 and I wish I still had it today. Congrats on the good deal.

5. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Awesome! I can't wait to set it up and all. I won't be installing flash on it, as I'm sure it'll be worlds more stable as an HTML 5 player.

I just adore the design of these things, it's stunning.

6. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I couldn't agree more. It's so much fun.

7. ghett0tech macrumors member

congrats on your purchase. i agree with everyone else on the love for old school Macs. my MDD g4 is highly used in my set up. i'm actually streaming WWE Raw on it as we speak. this thing is greaaaat

8. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Sounds great! I had to look up the MDD, I embarrassingly didn't know what you were talking about (Mirror Door Drive PowerMac G4). The first thing Google was showing me was MDD - Major Depressive Disorder. Not something I associate with Macs! It's great your machine is running so incredibly!

9. ghett0tech macrumors member

i did get lucky. i'm about to pair it up to a 22" Apple Cinema Display.. i have the studio display right now, can't wait to get the 22". check out the pic i just posted on the mac setups photo thread.. best display apple ever made

10. csixty4 macrumors regular

That's a great price for one of those. When I was looking for one to add to my collection a year ago, I rarely found one under $150.

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

great find!
    which seller did you use as I would love to have one at that price!

12. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Yeah all the others I saw on Amazon were going for hundreds. I actually started looking, gave up because it was too expensive, so I was browsing for an old iPod nano 2nd gen (almost completing my nano collection!), and decided to once more check up on the iMacs and found this little guy and was just so excited!

13. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

so; did this person have more then one?
    where are you? US? Canada?

14. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

The seller is Smith100 on Amazon. But that was the only iMac he was selling. He's selling a couple other old Apple hardware but they are selling for a little higher than what I bought the iMac for.

15. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

That's the only one he's selling, unfortunately! I'm in the US. I wish you the best of luck in your journey in finding one of these! Keep us posted!

16. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Ha thanks :)
    the problem is most of the American Sellers won't ship one to canada :(
    I would love a 15"
    1) because it is cool
    2) because I am a fanboy
    3) it would be the perfect media player (with my external HD)

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Good find. I suggest putting Leopard on it with 2Gb of ram and a new hard drive. The stock hard drives are a bit on the slow side. When opening it up, make sure you replace the heat sink grease on the mount points. It is very important that you do that. Also when inside, you might want to replace the PRAM battery so you don't have to open it up again.

For a browser, I suggest TenFourFox. It's really fast on G4 Macs and kept up to date. Media playback wise, I suggest VLC 1.1.12, the new 2.0 version isn't as good with playback at this time. It won't be able to playback most HD stuff, but shouldn't have too many problems playing SD content.

18. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I just found this locally for $170. Trying to see if it is worth it.

It has USB 1.1 can it play content from my external hard drive (USB 3.0)
    it is either 480p or 720p

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Likely not. Even if USB 1.1 has enough speed, 700Mhz isn't going to produce anything watchable.

20. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

darn it :(
    does it have any use?

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They make great iTunes jukeboxes and the Apple Pro speakers sound amazing. Good for light web browsing and other light computer work. Also great art piece.

22. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I don't want to agree, but I kind of have to.

I have an 800Mhz and it is a choppy playing video.
    It has no trouble with DVDs, though. So I may just need to play with my HandBrake settings.

23. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

that is unfortunate; do tell if it works out for you :)

what do you mean by iTunes jukeboxes?
    I want them just to play my content from my external hard drive, what specs do i need? 1ghz? They look amazing

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sadly I don't think any amount of changing Handbreak settings will make videos play back nicely on 700/800Mhz without it being really tiny and bad looking.

An iTunes jukebox is a machine that just sits around for the sole purpose of playing music via iTunes. Very little power is needed for this, I have an old 350Mhz G3 iMac that plays iTunes music all day long. Works very well and sounds great.

25. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

THat sounds cool, although I do not really have a need for that (My iTunes library [Music] is >3gb.
    What specs would I need for 480p? The 1ghz?
    thanks so much Intell.