Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Simple to put together? I travel a lot so wanted the macbook to look more discrete / have protection for airport security. I ordered black though some peeps said they look more 'deep purple'? Also, I heard they fixed the 90 degree angle with the screen - anyone confirm this?

cheers :)

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
i just ordered the green incase for my 13" mbp. if i like it i will order one for my 15".

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
they add about an extra pound to the system weight...but definitely worth it for keep it scrape and scratch free.
the black is black and looks black form the incase i seen, i have the speck seethru satin which is solid black; they only look purple not on the system and held up in light.

i dont know what you mean about the the 90degree fixed angle?

you can open the same amount as you can without it; well being said that with my Speck SeeThru.

all in all, you should be good to go with the case

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
I'm not so bothered about scratches but was more hopeful it will protect from knocks and bumps (also to make it look less like a 1300GBP machine).

lcuthber

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
I have the Incase 15" Black Satin case on my unibody MPB and it looks black most of the time, but I do agree that it does look deep purple in some lighting. However, I am very happy with it! And I have to disagree with AppleNewton, it does not add anywhere NEAR a pound of extra weight. I don't know where he would have got that?

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
i have an incase and i definitely can't open the screen as far as i'm able to without the case on it.
the speck doesn't have that problem, but the speck is pretty different in design anyway.
the incase doesn't cover the whole computer, it leaves a little big exposed at the rims.
and also, the sleep light / sensor is not covered, there is a hole to allow you to see it. (i'm not sure why, since it's seethru anyway.) but the speck has it completely covered.
and as for the black, it should look black. the speck's black case looks black, but the apple looks deep purple. the light that shines through it, if white, looks purple. but the case itself looks black. not sure about the incase though.

either way, you won't be disappointed. it's a good case.
it does it's job well, and it feels nice.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
i have an incase and i definitely can't open the screen as far as i'm able to without the case on it.
the speck doesn't have that problem, but the speck is pretty different in design anyway.
the incase doesn't cover the whole computer, it leaves a little big exposed at the rims.
and also, the sleep light / sensor is not covered, there is a hole to allow you to see it. (i'm not sure why, since it's seethru anyway.) but the speck has it completely covered.
and as for the black, it should look black. the speck's black case looks black, but the apple looks deep purple. the light that shines through it, if white, looks purple. but the case itself looks black. not sure about the incase though.

either way, you won't be disappointed. it's a good case.
it does it's job well, and it feels nice.

I thought that, but realised it was just the plastic catching so just pushed a bit more and it kept going.

On the whole I am very impressed with mine. The little retaining clips broke tho on the bottom, so it sometimes comes free, but pushing it down solves that.

I also took the bottom off last night to inspect and it was filthy

Clean it often to prevent a build-up of dirt and stuff.

It has saved mine from external scratches and a few knocks tho, so well worth it from my opinion

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
i had the satin black one on my 13 inch and i liked it. it does add a bit of weight and thickness, which was ok on the 13 inch but im reluctant to get one for my 15 incher

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
i have had both a speck case, and incase case for my 17"
and both doesn't make it too bulky. so you should be fine with the 15".
but thenagain, i don't think the 17" is that bulky to begin with, and you might disagree with that.
i love the 17", i don't think it's too big at all. i think it offers amazing screen size and is still very portable.
i can see wanting a 13" if i was walking around like all day, and put it away and took it out a lot like a notebook. but the 17" is perfect for me. and the case on the 17" is good too.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I have the 13" Satin Black one. Fantastic. Fitted it the moment I took the laptop out of the box. I've no problems with catching or anything, and you'd hardly notice the extra weight.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
i just went to apple.com to track my incase. they shipped it using dhl. it says it started in elk grove, ca then went to union city, ca then 2 days later its all the way down in carson, ca which is near san diego. i live in ventura county so they drove or flew it almost 4 hours past me. :confused:

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
It just arrived. It took a few minutes to attach once I'd figured out you don't need those rubber things on the sides :rolleyes:

It just snaps into place quite cleanly and appears to be well made. It definitely gives the impression that your machine has much more protection with the case on than without. It feels much more rigid.

I disagree that it adds any discernible weight to the machine itself. Looks wise I quite like it apart from the incase logo stamped onto the top! The material is good and gives much more grip when handling the machine.

My screen tilts all the way back as it did before the case was attached. There is no 'click' or noticeable stiffness when opening or closing the notebook. No ports are covered and there is absolutely no overlapping for connections.

And YES it does fit in the Incase sleeve with the case attached although it is a bit of a struggle - I imagine it will stretch over time. Overall I think your very mobile with your machine, especially travelling long-haul, then this is a decent investment to protect from the stresses of travel. Although at 40.00 GBP it is rather expensive for essentially two sheets of plastic.

Hope this helps.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
It just arrived. It took a few minutes to attach once I'd figured out you don't need those rubber things on the sides :rolleyes:

It just snaps into place quite cleanly and appears to be well made. It definitely gives the impression that your machine has much more protection with the case on than without. It feels much more rigid.

I disagree that it adds any discernible weight to the machine itself. Looks wise I quite like it apart from the incase logo stamped onto the top! The material is good and gives much more grip when handling the machine.

My screen tilts all the way back as it did before the case was attached. There is no 'click' or noticeable stiffness when opening or closing the notebook. No ports are covered and there is absolutely no overlapping for connections.

And YES it does fit in the Incase sleeve with the case attached although it is a bit of a struggle - I imagine it will stretch over time. Overall I think your very mobile with your machine, especially travelling long-haul, then this is a decent investment to protect from the stresses of travel. Although at 40.00 GBP it is rather expensive for essentially two sheets of plastic.

Hope this helps.

thank you for your review. hopefully i will receive mine with the next few weeks.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.