Just ordered my 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by allymmpink, Sep 15, 2009.

1. allymmpink macrumors newbie

allymmpink

Hey Everyone,
    I've just ordered my 17" MBP, so excited, now for a question.
    What should I buy to go with it? Accessory wise?
    I have bought an STM glove for it, and have a wireless mighty mouse, any other suggestions?
    Thanks!
    :apple:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I use the wireless MM with mine often (I have the 17" UB on my lap, and the mouse on the arm of the couch). It's just nice to switch off input devices, from time to time. That said, I use the trackpad on the UB much more than my 2.33. The glass trackpad has a superb feel to it.

I also have the Apple BT keyboard. Sometimes, I have the 17" on a table next to me, but too far to use its keyboard. Or, I use the MBP in clamshell mode with an external display (in this case, 50" Panasonic plasma).

And, congrats on your purchase. It's the best design Apple's come up with yet, IMO.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Hey gr8tfly, how do you connect your MBP to your Panny and do you get a good picture with it? I have a two year old 50" Panasonic 720P plasma and an 08 Penryn 17" MBP with DVI out. I was thinking about connecting them for general internet use on the TV and movie playback. The ultimate goal is to get a mini for the living room, but this would be a stop gap until that happens. I would be interested in hearing what kind of performance you get in using your MBP this way. Thanks.

To the OP if you are considering this possibility as well then obviously the accessories needed would be an appropriate connection cable (monoprice.com) and possibly external input devices. Since you already have a glove/sleeve then I would suggest a good bag, an external HD for back up, and a decent memory stick for small stuff.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Congrats with your purchase of a new 17" iPhone.

I use mine with a good a good bag but without sleeves.

All recent Macs can do 720 very well. Some might need to use Plex for certain encodings.

6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Shhhhhhh, that's not out yet!!!! :cool:

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I have the Apple mini-display > DVI, then DVI > HDMI. The DVI > HDMI cable is what I used when we had the earlier, 720 Panasonic. Also, it was to a 2006 MBP with DVI. Seemed to work fine. One thing to look at is the setting of the TV's "overscan" for HDMI. It's expands by a couple of percent since some (very few now) HD channels had some artifacts at the extreme edges. You should run with it off, and overscan on the Mac off, iirc. Otherwise, it ran fine.

(I use the same settings with the 17" UB & mini-display port to our 2008 1080P Panasonic. I get the proper dimensions for the TV - edge to edge. In mirror, the Mac gets slight letter boxed (black bars) (because it's 1200, not 1080). In dual-display mode or clamshell, they both get their full display size.)

9. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Awesome. You're going to love it. I picked up this table/stand thing. It's great if you plan on watching movies on your machine. Also, it raises up the laptop and when you have the 17" screen at the proper height it makes the screen look even bigger.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CCTPLK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

eV