JUST ORDERED! (new white MacBook for college!)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klb028, Jun 16, 2007.

1. klb028 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone! Some of you may remember me from previous threads and such. I finally found the time to order my laptop after work today. Here are the specs:

2.16GHz
    2GB of RAM
    160GB hard drive
    iWork '06 preinstalled

I also took advantage of the free iPod promo and picked out a blue one for myself. The color was a hard decision, but since I liked most of them anyway... I figured any of them would do just fine. The delivery date for the iPod is set for June 20-22 and the MacBook delivery date is set for June 21-26. I'm hoping for Friday (the 22) at the least.

Everything's so overwhelming, and being a switcher (this is going to be my first Mac) makes everything that much more intimidating. I know this forum will be a ton of help with any questions that I might have, though! Oh, and my OLD computer specs are as follow:

2000 Gateway desktop
    951MHz Athlon processor
    256MB of RAM
    20GB hard drive

So, YES. I am definitely going to be upgrading majorly. I can't wait! I know I'm going to live by my old desktop for the next week or so refreshing the FedEx page, haha. Well, anyway, just wanted to let everyone know and thanks for all of the help you've given me! I'll keep you posted! :)

2. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

congrats.

i've been using my white macbook for 2 semester now. and it is amazing. this computer is sooooooo mobile, i literally take it everywhere i go.

i just ordered more RAM to upgrade to 2gb, can't wait :D

3. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

oh! and..

this was my first mac ever. it's just soooo easy.

i'm NEVER going back to pc!

4. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

These two things were both GREAT to hear! Thanks for sharing. :)

5. Jeremy Gray macrumors regular

Congrats!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy a lot!

Congrats again :)

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

7. pdra05 macrumors regular

Don't worry about switching, I knew I've made the best decision ever on the day when I'd officially switched to a Mac. :D

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

9. brgnewman macrumors member

Sounds a whole lot like my macbook (2.16ghz Core 2 Duo|2gb of Ram|160gb HD) except I got it in the black finish.

Believe me, switching from a pc to a Mac is soooo simple. And I used to be the biggest windows user in the world, lol

10. Fayler macrumors regular

Fayler

I used to spend tons of time over at my friend's house and he had a macbook (one of the reasons I ordered a MBP) and it was awesome. You won't regret your decision.

11. showtime macrumors 6502

Congrats! You know what they say about macs. Once you go mac...

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Congratulations.

Stay around to tell us how you get on ;)

13. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I just picked up one for my girlfriend for $999 at macconnection.com. No charge for shipping or tax.

14. Eve macrumors newbie

Yay! Switching is the best thing you could ever do.

15. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Woot. Sounds awesome.

Be sure to post pictures. And, if there are any problems, let us know.

16. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

17. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much, guys! :) I still can't believe I finally ordered one. I already have so many questions... I don't know where to start. Pictures will definitely be posted when it arrives.

But, I still haven't received my confirmation email from Apple. Is this normal?

18. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, scratch the above post. I received the confirmation email just now. I have a silly/stupid question, but how do you find the tracking number for your order(s)? Is it the same as the "Order Number" they give you on the Apple Order Status website? Do I need to go to FedEx.com and activate it somehow? Sorry, first time ever ordering anything online - I'm completely clueless!

Oh! A few more things!

What are some things that y'all suggest to do immediately after I receive my laptop? I know calibrating the battery is one of the main things.

19. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Run software updates and this to get the most use out of your mac.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

hey its you again :)

The tracking number is different than the order number, and most likely you won't know what it is until the laptop is actually shipped. When it does ship, Apple will send you another email saying that it has shipped and the tracking number should be in this email. :)

After you get your laptop, yes you should calibrate your battery.
    Then you can pretty much just start using it. Just start playing around and get yourself familiar with OS X and all of the apps. Search around here and find some of those threads about "what to do if you're a new switcher" and stuff.

Also, you'll probably want to install Perian and Flip4Mac so you can play all types of videos.

Good luck with your new Macbook :D

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Post pics of you unpacking your new love! :D

edit: and then some fun Photobooth pics...

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

A lot of the things on that list are pretty pointless and won't do anything, especially on a brand new Mac. Some things may be useful if you're on an old G3 or something, but the new Macbook will be fine. Don't waste your time with this.

23. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I switched in February and haven't looked back.

I thought it would take me longer to get used to the new finder etc than it did - was so straight forward and simple.

24. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, yeah... hey. :) Thanks for explaining the tracking stuff... I had absolutely no idea. I'll be waiting by my inbox now for the next few days, haha. I think I'm going to do a search for some switcher threads right now!

25. klb028 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey everyone.

Another question...

About shipping, does Apple usually ship on Sundays? I'm not familiar with their shipping standards, and I was just wondering. Just trying to get a heads up on when I can expect a delivery/start tracking my order because I'm so impatient, haha. A friend told me her MacBook shipped within 24 hours, but she ordered on a Thursday.