Just picked up an iPhone 5 on iOS 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iOSUser7, Jan 14, 2016.

1. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Hi everyone, I usually don't make these kind of threads and I know some of you won't even care, but I just bought an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 today. It's been nearly two years since I search for one of these, my dream became a reality !

Here it is guys : http://oi66.tinypic.com/29dittg.jpg

It's running iOS 6.0.1 so it's pretty much one of the first iPhone 5's produced. It's good to be back on iOS 6, you know, I love the look and feel of iOS 7 but I don't find iOS 6 outdated, the skeumorphic design is really different and it has it's own unique feel and look, I love it !
    That's all I had to say guys, just wanted to share my excitement with you. Maybe I could make a speed comparison between iOS 9 on my daily driver (iPhone 6s) and iOS 6 because some people still claim that an iPhone 5 on iOS 6 is much faster than the current iPhone on iOS 9. If you guys are interested, just let me know !

P.S : Fun fact, it just prompted me that iOS 8.4.1 is available for download, even if it's not signed anymore. For some reason, it didn't download the lastest iOS 9.2.

2. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

that's awesome. i miss the old iOS but it's just all nostalgia at this point.

i have seen a few iPhone 5's and older devices running older iOS's in the past few months.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Onwards and upwards for me I'm afraid, but thats a great find!

We haven't come really far from iOS 6, but its fun to use a device thats using some older software - just for nostalgias sake!

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Hardware performance has improved drastically since then. I'm very curious about how the perceived performance compares to current hardware and software.

6. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Nice find. My first iphone was a 5. I think it was on iOS 7 when I bought it. Now using a 6S.

7. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Yeah it's really fun and nostalgic to use the old iOS but it's lacking a lot of new features like the very useful control center.
    Cool, I had an iPhone 5 before too, it came with iOS 7.0.3 but I sold this phone when iOS 8 came out to buy an iPhone 5s. :)

By the way, most of the apps I use works but most of them use an older version of the app (like YouTube but damn, the old design was so much better than the current). The OS is crazy smooth too, I can't see any frame drop or stutter and the animations are really fast.
    Also, I did some quick speed comparisons and I'm surprised that it catch up with my iPhone 6s even if it's an old phone. Most of the time, the 6s was 2 or 3 seconds faster in launching apps but sometimes it was equal and in some apps the iPhone 5 was actually faster !

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It will be a fast machine (for its timeline). But you will find that app compatibility will be a huge problem in 2016... If your app requirements are very modest, you can keep it on iOS 6.0.

9. minimo3 macrumors regular

I have a 4s on iOS 6.1.3. Feels as fast as an iPhone 6 with iOS 9 even though it was to render more textures and shadows with the skeuomorphic interface

10. Snide, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

I waited forever to upgrade my iPhone 5 from IOS 6 to 7.1.2, based largely on all the negative comments about the UI, etc. But I grew tired of not being able to download a LOT of new apps, not to mention no longer getting updates for existing apps. After the update I was very impressed by the new features, and would never consider going back.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I have been searching for one of these for a long time. I kind of gave up when I ordered a 5 that was listed as "brand new, still in packaging" and I received an open 5 that had been updated to iOS 9.1.

I'm a little jealous but I love my 6s.

12. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Well, I don't use a lot of apps but my main device is an iPhone 6s anyway so I should not be worried about app compatibility. :)
    Yeah I understand, as I said before I love the redesign they made with iOS 7 but I'm also a big fan of the old one. Glad I have both versions now. :D
    Ah crap, have you asked for a refund ? If it was listed as brand new it should not have been updated to iOS 9. :/

13. kamalds macrumors regular

Same here. But after iPhone 5, I upgraded to Lumia 920 which had wireless charging, 32GB storage, 1GB RAM, 8MP OIS PureView camera that took breath taking pictures.

I now own iPhone 6s but man, I would jump back to windows phone if I see better progress in near future.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Absolutely. Amazon refunded me before the thing even made it back to him.

15. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

Ah it's cool then, I wish you good luck on finding one running iOS 6 (if you are still searching lol). They are very rare at least where I live, after most people upgraded to iOS 7, I only saw 2 iPhone 5's on iOS 6, including the one I have now, it's unbelievable !

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Nah. I'm extremely happy with my 6s and I can make it look however I please as soon as there's a jailbreak released for 9.1+.

17. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I still have an iPhone 5 running iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken, and due to the Limera1n exploit, I can re-restore back to iOS 5.1.1, as long as I'm still on 5.1.1.

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Not to be too facetious - but why get a smartphone at all, if you are not going to use apps? I mean, you are paying a hefty premium for the handset and a monthly data plan as long as you keep the phone with you. If all you want is a phone - won't a dumb-phone be the 'smarter' choice?

19. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I said I don't use a lot of apps, I didn't said I wasn't using any apps except the stock ones. And by a lot I really mean a looooot. I have 75 applications installed on my device right now but I consider myself as a average app user because I know some people have like 6 or 7 pages of apps.

And by the way, my opinion is even if someone is using a phone for basic tasks, they should use a smartphone instead of a "dumb" phone because the smartphone will do these tasks some much better and the user won't have a frustrating experience like some "dumb" phones can provide. And by smartphone I don't mean the lastest iPhone, a cheap 100-150$ smartphone can do the job.

You mean iPhone 4 right ? :p

20. rpetunderclass macrumors regular

21. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

I think that until I got a 6S running iOS9, the last great iPhone experience was the iPhone 5 running iOS6.

I have great memories of my 5 running iOS6. Such a fantastic, easy to use, intuitive operating system design, running on what was then, great hardware.

Now that the 6S has 2GB, and a lot of the bugs have been ironed out, iOS is almost back to being as fluid and great to use as it was before the redesign.

22. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Thats cool, wish i could get my 5S back onto 7 rather than the current laggy 9..
    It's ironic how nothing has really changed, but apple seem to add more and more bloat to each version of iOS.

23. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Lucky! I tried holding on to iOS6 for a long time. Eventually I had to give in and update (wanted FaceTime to work).

24. iOSUser7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

A friend of mine know a girl who wanted to sold it and replace it by a more recent phone so he immediatly told me because he knew I was searching one for a long time. :)
    Not sure about that, my iPhone 6s still stutters in some areas unlike my iPhone 5 that I just got but if you don't care/don't notice stutters then yeah it's a crazy fast phone and the 2GB of RAM make a huge difference !
    Yeah that's true, iOS 5 & 6 (for example) brought a lot of under the hood changes but still it didn't make the overall smoothness of the compatible devices worse. Plus the bloatware (find friends, podcasts, apple watch) that Apple introduce each releases, it's getting annoying. My iPhone 5 on iOS 6 had like 13.5 GB left after erasing all data which is crazy compared to the tiny 10.7 available on iOS 9.

25. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Hmm that would be extremely rare. Maybe iPhone 4s?