Just Purchased new iPod Touch 32gb!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Simacca, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Long time lurker 1st time poster :)

Well I just purchased a brand new iPod Touch 32gb(2.5g) from my local Apple store in the UK.

Coming from a 2nd gen iPod Touch there are no cosmetic changes whatsoever (apart from upgraded headphones). After plugging it into my laptop I had to perform a Software update from 3.1 to 3.1.1.

I am now in the process of restoring it from my 2nd gen backup file. Will report any differences after.

I'm hoping for a noticable speed increase and trying out the voice control.

P.S. I had a couple of 2002 could not restore error codes, but have managed to solve that by re-booting my laptop and trying again!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Congratulations! Keep us informed on your experiences.

3. Dieder macrumors member

I bought myself one yesterday. Will take up to 14 days before I get it... (ordered it online)

4. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I ordered a nano. It's been shipped...from a port city in China. Today I saw the news ones in my college computer store. He said their's came from a distributor in the U.S..

5. DocDoom macrumors regular

Keeps us posted! let us know about the battery too.!

6. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Ordered my 32GB 3G touch the minute the store opened on-line and opted for 24hr shipping and should be here this afternoon. I'm curious to see what others have to say about overall performance.

7. noshooz macrumors member

noshooz

I'm still using a 1st gen. touch and am on the fence whether it's worth spending the $300 for the new 32GB. I'm leaning towards yes now. I've never upgraded my old one to 3.0 since it's not capable of enough of the newer features in 3.0 to make it worth the $10.

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Still waiting for a teardown. Hopefully there'll be one today.

9. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Well, I have been playing about with my iPod for about an hour now (about 3gb of music, 150+ apps, and some photo albums). Here are my findings so far :-

Apps seem to load up quite a bit quicker and graphic intensive games run smoother, (resident evil tested so far).

Full web pages seem to render quicker and scroll more smoothly than before.

The speaker seems the same as before, (not loud enough!).

Music through the upgraded stock headphones sounds better than my 2nd gen did, but that may just be my imagination. Also the screen seems slightly more vivid and colourful than my last ipod.

Voice control is a bit hit and miss for me. Dont think I will use it that much.

Everything seems more snappier than before, im not sure if it is 50% faster as stated by Apple, but I can definately see a difference.

As for battery life, I will have to report back in a couple of days of use.

All in all im glad that I upgraded. I had an 8gb ipod 2nd gen before, which I sold a couple of months ago.

If anyone has any questions about the new iPod please feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer....

10. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I'm making the same transition as well, should get it a little later this afternoon.

What does iTunes show the capacity as?

11. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

29.28 gig

12. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I was on the fence about upgrading my 1st gen 16gb touch. Worth the upgrade for 5 bucks! Wasn't sure if it would lag but it doesn't. Go for it. I did order the new 32gb touch. Comes in monday.

13. Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

It's $4.95 now.

14. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

How much faster is web browsing? Is it as fast as with an iPhone 3GS? I too am thinking of buying.

15. Simacca thread starter macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I havent used an iPhone 3gs, so can't compare, but is is faster than the iPod 2nd gen.

16. sharp65 macrumors 6502

I have to say this is a great improvement going from a first gen in terms of performance. The AP news app which is a bit of a hog loads and updated near instantly. The speaker isn't that great but it's nice having one.

17. thefatmould macrumors member

I ordered mine on the apple online store in NZ the only official apple retailer in NZ and it is estimating delivery by next Thursday. That is only one week after the keynote and retail stores down here is limited to the Sylvia Park Mega Mall in Auckland a 2 hour flight from here.

18. Dieder macrumors member

I couldnt care less about the camera by the way... now with Bluetooth I can take a pic with my phone and transfer it. I was more looking forward to more battery life and GPS.

19. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

How do you go about doing that? I going to be getting a new phone and ipod touch, but have never seen how you transfer pictures from a phone over bluetooth to the ipod. I though bluetooth was only for bluetooth headphones and playing games and stuff with other ipod touches.

20. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

It is. The poster is mistaken.

21. th0093 macrumors newbie

I have my 1st gen. touch too and had cash in hand to head to the local Apple store to pick up the 3rd gen touch. Unfortunately, the lack of a camera / video option was a deal breaker for me. I just don't see enough reason to spend the $300 for the 3rd gen vs. what I currently have.

I suppose at the end of the day I should just be thankful that I still have my $300 in my pocket. ;)

22. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

Thanks for the review. I'm disappointed especially the Speakers, I can't believe they didn't upgrade it but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I am buying it because it's now available in 64GB!

23. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

1. Is there a good difference with loading/scrolling in Safari? Even though loading speeds really depend on internet connection have you seen a noticeable improvement?

2. How is Mail with opening emails? Is it more efficient?

3. As far as gaming is concerned, how much of a difference is there is graphics quality/framerate?

4. How is syncing with iTunes? Is it faster?

5. Battery Life, anything very bad as far as battery life is concerned?

24. dynamo22 macrumors member

congrats on your new 3rd gen ipod touch! If I may ask, when you bought the new ipod and transferred your music and videos and whatnot to it, what about the apps that you bought from the app store? Does it automatically sync with the new ipod touch? Please enlighten me! Thanks!

25. sk8rshah macrumors newbie

is there a difference between the packaging of the 2nd and 3rd generation? im afraid someone will try and sell me a 2nd gen instead of a 3rd. thanx