Just read Verge and Mossberg review...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bufffilm, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

And the take-aways are this:

Pluses:
    - Better battery life finally (the ip7 delivers what should have been in the 6s)
    - Better camera
    - Haptic button - will take getting used to but good for future. Hopefully, will be refined (v2) in 2017 iphone
    - Storage bump
    - Better speakers

Minuses:
    - 3.5" jack gone
    - no better audio with BT or new wireless standard (word is still out as more products hit the market but right now, audio quality still the same as before)

What are your early comments on the ip7/+?

2. archer75 macrumors 65816

I thought the 6s plus had amazing battery life. Better than any phone i've ever owned by a mile.

I'm glad it has stereo speakers but the placement is just wrong. They both don't face the same direction which throws the audio off. Especially when holding it on the edges. Hopefully something they will correct on future phones.

The audio has the potential to be better as it's a powered port and can amp the headphones as well as provide noise cancelling. Will just have to test with better headphones and see. Though in my case I very rarely use them.

I do prefer reviews from less apple fanboyish locations. I do like arstechnica:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/0...w-great-annual-upgrades-with-one-major-catch/

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

4. bufffilm thread starter macrumors 601

bufffilm

I forgot to list the new IP rating in the Pluses.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The Verge and Mossberg are some of the biggest Apple fanboy sites out there along with BGR.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Which would be true of almost any new model iPhone Apple introduced compared to the last. Such to the point that this is now becoming cliche IMO.

I don't buy on features, I buy on aesthetics. But if I did buy on features then there's nothing in the 7 that would motivate me to buy it.

If I was upgrading from a 6 or less maybe, but not from a 6s.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    Which is funny because with all their fanboyness they still cannot motivate me to want to buy this fugly iPhone 7.

7. willmtaylor, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Great comment. Lots of support with facts & examples. You really proved your point well. Congrats on repeating what everyone else says.

My point: how is that exemplified in these reviews?

8. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'm upgrading solely for the camera and the water-resistance doesn't hurt (especially since I killed my 6 with water).
    Plus, I'm coming from the 6 Plus so I don't currently have liveshot or 3D touch so those are bonuses as well.

I'm actually more looking forward to the iOS 10 features.

9. Seanm87 macrumors member

Which looks identical to the iPhone 6s you own

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This…

[​IMG]

…looks NOTHING like the fugly camera bump on my 6s+.

[​IMG]

Double fugly with the 7. Sorry, no sale.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't get all the fuss about the headphone jack. I don't think I've used it even once in my 6s. Wireless is the future, and it takes someone like Apple to make the move. If we waited until wireless were perfect, we'd never get there.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I just use my 5 if I need a headphone jack (even though my 6s+ has one). I use it as a media player anyway (and not my 6s+).

13. bufffilm thread starter macrumors 601

bufffilm

That may be...but more critical reviews will come. Reading the ARS now...

14. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I don't get the fuss about the antenna bands. It's a phone, not a piece of art to put on display. Besides, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, have the same thing so it's not like it's one of a kind. Slap an opaque case on there and run with it.

15. Kenneth1101 macrumors regular

Kenneth1101

I created an account just so I could second this ^ The antenna bands seem to be mentioned in every single review since the iPhone 6/6 Plus and I just do not get it.

16. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Hey, I inspired someone today. My work here is done :)

17. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I honestly don't care either way, but you're on a forum where people are at each other's throats because they're thinking of putting cases over the Jet Black color, defeating the purpose of the design. Some people do treat their phones as a fashion statement.

18. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Don't get it either. I mean I kind of expect it to have antenna bands. Never cared.

19. sdiori macrumors regular

sdiori

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

1. I buy based on aesthetics. I do not upgrade every year. I do not sell my phone to pay for the purchase of the next one. I do not buy based on need, I buy based on what I want (screw need). I live with my phone for 2.5 to 3.5 years and after that it moves down to become a media device for however long it lasts.

I want to like the device I am constantly looking at for that entire time.

2. I don't use cases. No slapping a case on my phone. I hate case, I abhor them and I refuse to use them. You and anyone else who likes/uses cases can slap one on if you like. I repeat - I HATE CASES.

So, slapping on a case is out.

21. bufffilm, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

bufffilm thread starter macrumors 601

bufffilm

So I read a couple more reviews which were more outspoken about the audio jack......really will be interesting to see what the general public thinks of the new iPhones.

22. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

So how do you feel about cases? :)

I get your point on cases. If I was going to keep my phone for years and not sell it, I would never use a case either. I use a minimal case to protect from scratches and dings simply because I do re-sell mine and a pristine phone is definitely worth more and an easier sell.

23. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

I never use a case

24. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Makes me glad I went with the black. The double camera looks awful on a high contrast silver back.

25. Nozuka macrumors 68000

Haven't found any negative comment about that in the reviews. One was even surprised, that the music still sounds balanced. But will have to test it myself.