Just replaced my 5th iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Dec 19, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

And I think I need to change this one out too.

My first iPhone had an issue where the screen was a little on the faint side, colors and blacks wouldn't show the way the would on other phones, and this one has it too. Apple's gotten really strict about swapping recently, you think this is a good enough reason?

Also, my phone has major problems backing up and then going to the restored backup. When backing up it goes about 90-95% of the way and the stops progressing and I have to cancel it from backing up. And then when I plug in the phone to restore it to a backed up version, it'll say the most recent backup is from a month ago, it'll take forever to restore and won't finish, I'll have to take the pone out manually and low and behold it'll have restored with all the new info, not the month old info. ???

This was an issue with my old phone too not just the new one.

edit: my bad for not giving all the info. I paid for the one I broke. I was lucky and for one of them that I broke the lady genius was nice and just swapped it out. I know its my fault and so did Apple, I'm not blaming them for that. There's no way to blame the phone for a faulty screen. And come on, edge not working on two phones and speaker not working on another? That I CAN blame Apple for. Is it OCD to want to replace something whose fundamental features don't work?

I took the phone in today and the second he saw my screen he popped out a new one without asking any questions. It was really washed out, especially when we compared the screen to his. You guys are brutal sometimes.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

backing up is a software issue, not hardware

i personally dont think your issue is worth a replacement but thats me

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

No offense, but if you're on your 5th iPhone and considering going for #6, you may want to consider getting a different type of phone..

Also, as the poster above stated, backup's isn't hardware related, it's software related..

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

5. pintnight macrumors 6502

I'm still on my 1st 3G when the 3G was released.

6. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

two of them have been because I dropped the phone and broke the touch sensor, one the speaker stopped working, and for two of them the edge stopped working altogether (first replacement and most recent replacement). It's been a year and a half with the phone and I'm not being OCD about it. I watch videos on my phone all the time and its a big deal to me if the screen is significantly washed out.

I love the phone I wouldn't consider another one. It's not my fault Apple puts out faulty phones.

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Your backup and restore issues are 100% software related (i.e. the software on your computer or your iTunes). Generally, I don't think your issue warrants a replacement.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

consider yourself lucky to have gotten it replaced. applecare does not protect against user accidents:cool:

do you classify a phone faulty as a result of you dropping it and in turn breaking it? comeon now try to take some responsibility for your actions....

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Exactly my thoughts. User-induced "faults" are not Apple's responsibility.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I know the reason...

joe wasn't enough, it had to be joejoejoe...it's obvious you have OCD.

11. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

JoeJoeJoe, you cannot go around saying you have gone through 5 iPhone's and that they were Apple's fault when your not giving the whole story off of the bat. Your may also want to consider what computer your using - a PC can have errors for numerous reasons... I'm also confused on what's wrong with your iPhone's... How many did you drop, and are your fault and how many are Apple's fault? Also, how do you afford this many iPhone's? Now a defect in the product you have not dropped is of course unacceptable. Are you getting refurbs over and over again? Have you ever tried upping the brightness on the iPhone's display? - This usually helps. You can't get in trouble for going to an Apple store and attempting another replacement.

Don't get me wrong. Some of your claims are a little on the ridiculous side, but I'm honestly trying to see through that and help you out here. Just be more careful with the rest of your ownership with this iPhone and take care of the next one. My first Generation iPhone did not have a SINGLE scratch on it to the day I gave it to my mother. I have never gotten or needed a replacement iPhone or 3G. Be careful and enjoy what you have - again can't hurt to visit Apple... Again.

12. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

dude, I paid for the one I broke.

13. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a Macbook Pro. Brightness didn't help.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

In that case it warrants a replacement. No reason you should have a problem. Possibly you could mail it to Apple to have it replaced. Nothing wrong with going to the Apple store, if it's an obvious defect then they should replace. It's a bummer to get a couple bad cookie's.

16. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

got it replaced. case closed.

17. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

That's good.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sorry, your op didnt give that impression. i know only as much as you tell us

glad you got it fixed. hopefully this ones a keeper

19. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

and in terms of the backup, just set up my iPhone as new (lost texts and notes, whatever) and now back up takes 30 seconds :) (used to take about an hour or 2)

if anyone's having backup probs, just jot down your notes, let go of your texts and restore as new and you should be fine.

20. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

We'll wait to see your post about replacing your sixth iPhone.

21. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Sigh... People who don't know how to use a phone, drop it,etc and are complaining about it...

22. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

as I have stated in my thread that I started...my phone will not dock on my mac. I cant get itunes to recognize it to restore. I have tried to "clean" the connectors with a soft toothbrush....no luck.

Plus....about a month now...there's a fading on the top left side of the screen where "AT&T" is. This has been bugging me for a little while but not too bad. But now that it won't dock either, I am going to take it to the store. I hope they will have a solution or replace it. :-D

23. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Ha, and some people don't know how to read.

24. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I'm on my sixth since July 11th and have had this one since October... Thankfully it works!!!!

(All of the problems with the others were design or hardware flaws and issues with the devices themselves; nothing I caused)

25. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Same here.
    I had one original iPhone and one iPhone 3G.
    Both great.
    I guess that's why I find it hard to sympathize with people on their 5th or 6th phone.

...and I'm not a lucky person.
    My flight today has been delayed four times, My MacBook crashed last week and I lost all my data, and I lost all my numbers in my iPhone (my fault) of which the backup was on my computer that crashed.