Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Same here.
I had one original iPhone and one iPhone 3G.
Both great.
I guess that's why I find it hard to sympathize with people on their 5th or 6th phone.

...and I'm not a lucky person.
My flight today has been delayed four times, My MacBook crashed last week and I lost all my data, and I lost all my numbers in my iPhone (my fault) of which the backup was on my computer that crashed.

I had the $200 Hitachi 200GB 7200RPM HDD fail in my MacBook last weekend. That did not make me happy. Luckily Time Machine was there to save the day. Went to my local BB and bought the SeaGate 320GB 7200RPM HDD and everything was good to go in a couple of hours it took for Time Machine to transfer my 130GB of data. I'm just sending the Hitachi in for a warranty repair and will be selling the drive. The thing was not even manufactured until March 2008... All that it does now is make a click noise when it is sent power. Oh well... I guess I have been lucky with my iPhone purchases, haven't replaced a single one since the purchase of my original and 3G since both launch days...

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I'm on number 8. First 6 replacements were by Apple, 7th under insurance. All the warranty ones were due to dust under the screen. Number 8 is the best I have had - perfect barr one stuck pixel.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Plug it in, let it backup. The progress bar doesn't move at the same speed all the way across. It goes slower toward the end. Just let it go, it will finish. Then after that, your backups will be much quicker because it won't have to backup everything, just what has changed.

And stop dropping your phone!

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
So what if you have one or two stuck pixels?
So what if you have 2-3 dust particles (probably you can't even see it naked eye) under the screen...

Some of you need to get a life...
Go get a gf and start looking at her instead of your damn phone 24/7...
:mad:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So what if you have one or two stuck pixels?
So what if you have 2-3 dust particles (probably you can't even see it naked eye) under the screen...

Some of you need to get a life...
Go get a gf and start looking at her instead of your damn phone 24/7...
:mad:

i pretty much agree

manufacturing is never 100% perfect. i dont think people quite realize that

BOSS10L

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Upstate NY
i pretty much agree

manufacturing is never 100% perfect. i dont think people quite realize that

Yup. People seem to forget that manufacturers are trying to make the most money while spending the least.

That and I think people really need to put things into perspective. I don't condone shoddy manufacturing, but these "dust blobs" and "light leak" people really need to get out more.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I would rather have an iPhone 3G that has light leak, dust under the screen, dead pixels, cracks on the back, etc. than to have any other phone.

But, since Apple is in the game of replacing defective phones ... why not get a replacement that doesn't have any of these annoying problems?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I would rather have an iPhone 3G that has light leak, dust under the screen, dead pixels, cracks on the back, etc. than to have any other phone.

But, since Apple is in the game of replacing defective phones ... why not get a replacement that doesn't have any of these annoying problems?

true HOWEVER, i dont understand routinely returning iphones for these small issues, esp if it means driving to an apple store and wasting a good part of the day

i suppose i value my time a bit more than that lol:cool:

but to each his own

Rob Mclovin

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Jim Norton?

LMAO MAN! I thought the same thing with little yiimy always complaining about getting kicked off. Its probably the ****** 3g service in NYC, or he just keeps getting kicked back to the home screen.

RON AND FEZ NOON TO 3!

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island

Exactly!

I've had many iPhone 3G replacements. I've pretty much lost count. Just had one the other day because my chrome bezel somehow got detached from the plastic back on the upper right corner of my phone. I've had light leaks, somehow one iPhone got stuck on silent and no matter how many times I tried to restore it was still silent. In fact, the replacement for that was replaced because the bezel was misaligned and created an edge that was sharp enough to slice my finger tip before I had even left the store. It was that replacement that I just had swapped. I've had dust under the screen, light leaks, a bad battery, practically every possible hardware problem. I'm not sure how I managed to have such bad luck, but it is what it is.

And the Genius Bar was happy to give me a replacements without me even asking because just what they do. Call it OCD if you want, but there is nothing wrong with using the warranty of a very expensive piece of hardware. Especially since Apple prides themselves on their customer service and product quality.

And I completely agree with the General, I'd take a defective iPhone over just about any other cellphone in the market. But, part of what you pay for when you buy an Apple product is the warranty. So use it if you need to, you pay a premium for Apple stuff, especially when you get AppleCare too, so getting a device that is completely up to spec is totally legit. Nothing is perfect, of course, but you might as well get as close as you can.

lilphilog

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
well im having no problems with mine and i dropped mine plenty times before and its still working perfectly

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
And I think I need to change this one out too.

My first iPhone had an issue where the screen was a little on the faint side, colors and blacks wouldn't show the way the would on other phones, and this one has it too. Apple's gotten really strict about swapping recently, you think this is a good enough reason?

Also, my phone has major problems backing up and then going to the restored backup. When backing up it goes about 90-95% of the way and the stops progressing and I have to cancel it from backing up. And then when I plug in the phone to restore it to a backed up version, it'll say the most recent backup is from a month ago, it'll take forever to restore and won't finish, I'll have to take the pone out manually and low and behold it'll have restored with all the new info, not the month old info. ???

This was an issue with my old phone too not just the new one.

edit: my bad for not giving all the info. I paid for the one I broke. I was lucky and for one of them that I broke the lady genius was nice and just swapped it out. I know its my fault and so did Apple, I'm not blaming them for that. There's no way to blame the phone for a faulty screen. And come on, edge not working on two phones and speaker not working on another? That I CAN blame Apple for. Is it OCD to want to replace something whose fundamental features don't work?

I took the phone in today and the second he saw my screen he popped out a new one without asking any questions. It was really washed out, especially when we compared the screen to his. You guys are brutal sometimes.

Is this a 3G iPhone?

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Do a clean restore, no backups.

I'm on my first iPhone, I have had a few problems but they where all fixed by restoring.

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
No offense, but if you're on your 5th iPhone and considering going for #6, you may want to consider getting a different type of phone..

Also, as the poster above stated, backup's isn't hardware related, it's software related..

That's not true. Hardware can have just as much of an effect on the iphones ability to "back-up" or "sync" as software. More often than not, hardware flaws cause occasional software glitches or "hiccups" that usually get overlooked.

I do this stuff, and can tell you from experience that it is possible for the iphone to be the issue. If there is something going wrong that causes it to lose connection, reset before its supposed to, or drop sync that could all be hardware related.

Sorry but you're just wrong there. It is possible that it's software related, but if he only had teh issue with 1 iphone and has had 4 other ones.... it's probably hardware related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.