Just restored and updated, have 5.1.1, don't see dictation...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1458279, May 23, 2012.

1. 1458279 Suspended

iPT 4G, just got 5.1.1 and don't see mic on the keyboard in notes.

Is there some stock app that uses dictation, or is dictation some other update?

I already checked the settings, didn't see any on/off setting.

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Dictation is only on the iPhone 4S and iPad 3 (the new ipad)

3. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

WOW! That blows! The IPT has speaker, mic, everything needed to record voice and it doesn't do dictation... wow.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It also has an A4 processor and only 256MB of RAM. It was also never said that anything other than the iPad 3 and iPhone 4S would have a dictation function (the iPad 3 doesn't have Siri).

Why did you think you'd get dictation functionality?

5. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

If the device has the ability to do the function, it should have the function. The processor and ram shouldn't be an issue. It should be a function of the operating system on the device.

I'm an app dev and now I can't use this functionality within my apps and test it because it doesn't work in IPT. I use the IPT as a test device rather than iPad.

I'd say it's more of a question of why can't it, more that any thing else. If the device can do it, it should.

The IPT is a great tool, not just a game platform. It should be considered as such. Some would rather have the 'iPad Mini' (just for it's size and cost) as a viable business tool.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is not how Apple operates. I could give you a huge list of things Apple could have made devices do or be able to do, but didn't.

7. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

What also sucks is that if you develop an app that uses or depends on dictation, you've just excluded youself from a large market, and given the competitive nature of the app market, every factor counts.

I know you can check versions, but the point is that as an app dev, you have less of a market if you use the latest tools.

One other point is that my IPT is the latest version, so there isn't even an upgrade path for IPT (at least for now), and even when there is an IPT G5, my G4 is still a great usable tool.

8. nickn, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

nickn macrumors 6502

Neither of those make any difference, as all of the processing is done on the server side. In addition, Siri was ported to an iPod touch and it ran fine. Excluding the features from the iPod touch is just another stupid move by Apple to get people to upgrade. They hope users will cave in and opt for the 4S with the features. I say f'em. They did this so many times to me I went over to Android. Yes, the upgrade process is quite ridiculous, but when we do get updates, we get everything.

9. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

You should know that you have to invest in tools to make money off of being a developer. $599 for an iPhone 4s and $99 for the developer license is not a big fee to pay..

10. nickn macrumors 6502

$700 is not much for you? I wish I was in the same boat!!!

11. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

I think one very important point was missed.

If I go to a company to sell a package, I now have to tripple the price of the hardware. Trippling the price, could be a deal killer.

What do I tell a client, when they say we can deploy for 1/3 that price? What if they've already invested in the latest, greatest IPT and now have to dump them or not buy the solution that I'm offering.

The point is that the device has the ability to do the job, yet I can't offer it as part of a solution.

The IPT can be a very important business tool:
    1. no monthly contract
    2. fits in the pocket.
    3. no phone... ... most businesses already have phones
    4. fairly low entry cost.

The iPad is a great tool too, but:
    1. Much higher cost
    2. won't fit in a normal pocket

Anyone that's sold solutions to businesses know small things can be a deal killer, this kinda price hit is really a deal killer.

Imagine you were selling a PC software solution to a business and then told them they have to upgrade each and every computer... This would kill the deal and give your income to someone that went down a different path.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

13. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

That would be a mistake. Look at the flooded US market vs China / India. Over there $599 is a months wages for a GOOD job.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Look at apples financials. They sell less and less of them every quarter.

15. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

It's kinda like the strip down econo car, it's not sexy, doesn't get all the upgrades the others cars do, doesn't have cool styling, and doesn't have a large profit margin... but it does get the job done and serves the masses.

Look at the most populated countries, what do a lot of them drive, those little econo cars/trucks. It doesn't make the news, most don't give it a second thought.

Maybe if they made the IPT, more like an iPad WiFi, where you can still get everything but the phone.

16. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

No, not if I was a developer and it helped my business. $700 is a small expense.

17. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

$700 is not huge for a business, but that's not the point.

1. I have the latest test device that will not work to test the latest functions that are completely OS (non-hardware) controled

2. I can't sell this within a solution that involves the much less expensive device, even thou it could work on that device.

I'll simply have to say "Sorry, Apple won't allow it..."

I wonder how many will say "... What about Android then, will Android allow it..."

18. Slinkwyde, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

Slinkwyde macrumors regular

I don't think it's possible to build iOS apps which depend on Siri dictation. As I understand it, app developers don't trigger that feature. They just ask for a keyboard to be displayed. Then if the user has a device supporting Siri dictation, they can press the dictation button if they want to. If the user doesn't have a device supporting Siri dictation or doesn't want to use Siri dictation, then (s)he types on the keyboard instead. If Siri dictation is used, the OS (not the app) sends the audio to Apple's servers for speech-to-text processing, and then the OS receives the resulting text and gives it to the app as if it were keyboard input. I'm not an iOS developer or iPhone 4S/iPad 3 owner, but that's my understanding of Siri dictation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Many mobile apps are side hobbies made by small independent developers- one or two people. $700 is a lot for that and is quite a gamble. Apps that don't immediately make the top charts often go by the wayside on the app store.

19. 1458279 thread starter Suspended

Ok, I didn't know it required an internet connection, I was thinking along the lines of Dragon or one of those.

Not only that, but MOST apps don't break even. Meaning they don't cover their costs. One study showed that 80% of the apps share 3% of the money. Meaning that it's NOT a gold mine for everyone, only for a VERY small percentage.
    ... In some countries, $700 is more than a person's net worth. The average 30 year old American has about $1,000.00 saved for retirement (yet finds the money for an iPad, car payment, etc...).

20. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

I've seen unconfirmed reports that Apple's Siri servers do use the same underlying technology as Dragon, but it can't be done locally on the device because mobile hardware isn't powerful enough yet.

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

Lol. So you're saying the Apple Lisa should be able to run Mountain Lion? You're logic is so flawed. The processor, RAM, and other hardware components have everything to do with what software it can support. Hence the reason why the original iPhone doesn't run iOS 5. :rolleyes:

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

23. Slinkwyde, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

Slinkwyde macrumors regular

As I said in my first post, Siri and its dictation feature do almost all of the processing on the server. All the local iOS device does is record audio, upload the audio to Apple's servers, and receive text from the server. Someone else mentioned that that Siri worked fine when added to a jailbroken iPod.

The Lisa and Mountain Lion thing is a straw man.

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well you must also realize that excluding a new device from getting a new feature is a way that technology companies make money. If Apple added dictation / siri to every device that could support it, less people would go out and buy the new device.

25. Slinkwyde macrumors regular