Just restored from Time Machine and now i have to authenticate EVERYTHING. Help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DAAAAAAAVE, Nov 23, 2009.

1. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I just restored my machine due to a hard drive failure and now whenever i do anything it asks me to authenticate with m password. It seems to happen especially when i am moving things to my external hard drive. Any suggestions on how to turn this off?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It seems that the folders / directories you are using are write protected, i.e. "wrong" permissions.
    Check the volume by selecting the icon, and choose "Get Info.." from the "File" menu.
    Check out "sharing and permissions" in the info-panel. You should be able to alter them to your liking, usually by clicking the lock (below-right) first.

Good luck.

3. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

hmmmmmmmm i tried that and it says i'm already read and write and it isn't like i just have to authorise it once. It is every time

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Have you tried repairing your permissions? Disk utility -> Repair Disk Permissions

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Resetting your keychain might fix your issue.

Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app

> Keychain Access/Preferences/Reset My Default Keychain

Alternatively, you can go to ~/Library/Preferences/ and move the come.apple.keychainaccess.plist file to the trash and restart.

Note that by doing any of the above, you will lose any saved passwords and will have to enter them again.

6. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I just tried using disk utility and repair permissions wasn't available to click but it did say that owners were not enabled. Could that have anything to do with it and if so how would i fix it?

7. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I ran into a problem like this recently. Here is a solution: use Get Info from the File Menu in the Finder (or just use Control-I in the Finder). Then customize your permissions at the bottom of Get Info, and finally use the little picture of a gear at the very very bottom of the Get Info to "Apply To Enclosed Items".

I hope that this piece of advice is helpful. Good luck!

8. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Sorry, I see that you tried Get Info already. Question: Did you apply to all enclosed items, using the gear at the very bottom of Get Info?

9. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I'm not sure if it was your suggestion mward or the fact that the little padlock was closed in the get info screen but it is all fixed now. Thanks a lot guys

10. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'm glad that we were able to help you. I can understand your frustration. It is good to hear that it is fixed.

Have a nice weekend.