Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
No, it's not the heat that bothered me, it's WHERE it was. I've never had a laptop heat up at the wrists (correct, I've never had a macbook pro) Usually vents are on the side, the air has no sides so it vents down. Just something to think about before you buy, something I wish I had and something that made it a dealbreaker.

I do understand what you're saying here but consider this: ALL notebooks will heat up when placed on a soft surface, by their very nature they rely on having at least some circulation under the unit. On a MBP, and presumably a MBA, the aluminum case helps to dissipate the excess heat. On a plastic laptop that doesn't happen but that heat is still there, the difference is it's the internals that take the brunt of it. Speaking as someone who had a 15" MBP before exchanging for a 17" it does take some getting used to but in all honesty I now prefer the metal case to a plastic one as at least you know when it's getting a tad toasty.

Oh, and just for the record, we have had something like 200 Dell laptops through our department in work over the last three years and every single one I've had the misfortune to work on has gotten warm on the wrist rests even while sitting on a desk if they're working hard. Same with the handful of HP's and even Sony machines.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
hmmm maybe it really was defective. It's possible my fans weren't working or there was a problem with one of the temperature sensors...

JonnyMac

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Okay guys, these are my opinions. I'm posting this because I'd like to avoid some other people buying this with unreasonable expectations.

Look closely at the vents on the macbook air. They are VERY close to the surface the computer sits on. This is fine on any hard surface, but it is NOT fine on anything soft. This computer will heat up on your lap, in bed, on any surface that isn't hard. The computer will sink down just a little covering all the vents. This by itself is almost okay (it got very hot) but what also gets hot is the top of the unit by your wrist wrests. It is VERY uncomfortable to use with the top heating up, even some heat coming from under the keys!

Just taking a good look at how the vets are placed makes it common sense that any soft surface will cover the vents completely. Not a good machine for laps, bed, or ottomans. I hadn't noticed this before I bought it, just hoping some people think a bit about it....

I agree with your assessment regarding the machine getting hot on the bottom when on soft surfaces. For me, it didn't get hot on the top of the laptop. The other current gripe I have is that the recharge time seems to take a long time- i.e. like 4-5 hours. Hopefully it will get faster as I go through more charge cycles.

Beyond those two gripes- I do love the machine!

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
You said it was a different cooling system [than MBP]. It isn't. BOTH the fan and heatsink properties of the metal shell are necessary for cooling.

Ok, gotcha, thanks.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see to what extreme level the bottom vent issue is going to manifest on the forums.

Gee, it just seems like yesterday when the MBP heat issue filled the forums.

I was just getting to forget it :rolleyes:

interstink

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Sorry to hear about your lap, pillow and other soft items that may have been hurt during your trial of this beautiful machine.

Im very happy to report I have yet to feel the wrath of the MacBook Air. It gets warm, but thats to be expected on any Aluminum Laptop. Like others have stated, guess you never owned a Macbook Pro, PowerBook, etc. Now those get HOT.

Macbook Air is just a warm fuzzy feeling to let you know you are one of the lucky ones in life.

So far im loving this Macbook Air... It just fits!

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I've been lurking for a while, but I had to register to reply to this.

Dude this is the most stupid thing I've heard in a while (and I deal with some winners). You should not place any modern notebook directly onto a soft surface regardless of vent position. Even if you don't block a vent the machine will heat up due to the retention of heat on the bottom surface. I use my notebooks while in bed all the time, but I use something to raise them off the surface. This keeps the machine nice and cool. Take a look at what I use (been using one for over 5 years now). I have one under my MBA right now.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA241U

interstink

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008

Dude this is the most stupid thing I've heard in a while (and I deal with some winners). You should not place any modern notebook directly onto a soft surface regardless of vent position. Even if you don't block a vent the machine will heat up due to the retention of heat on the bottom surface. I use my notebooks while in bed all the time, but I use something to raise them off the surface. This keeps the machine nice and cool. Take a look at what I use (been using one for over 5 years now). I have one under my MBA right now.

Agree... I normally just put it on a firm pillow or folder. but this MBA is so light and easy to control, I have yet to se any issues. My 24 hours of testing :)

samkhazary

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
I purchased a MacBook Air last night, 1.6/80GB.

When copying files, downloading, installing, etc... the thing sounded like a weed-whacker... The fan was running at 6200/6300RPM and it the laptop was extremely hot.

I was using it on a table, so the vents weren't blocked by fabric or anything.

I think its obvious why it heats up, the vents are underneath the laptop, the laptop sits on something with its vents point down.

I personally shut it off for a few minutes since it sounded as if it was going to com-bust.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Thank you all for beta testing another Rev A product.

There, somebody had to say it. ;)

kyleen66

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Like others have stated, guess you never owned a Macbook Pro, PowerBook, etc. Now those get HOT.

I KNOW it!

The MBP I have and use is one of the first models (had it almost two years) and it gets WAY WAY hot. To the point that it's difficult to work on. Which is one of my big reasons for getting the Air.

Honestly, I think you were looking for a good reason to return it. And just as honestly, the machine did not work to your expectations. Which is a valid reason to return it.

I wish you well in pursuit of a "cooler" lappy.

jonswan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2007
I just find it amazing that people still sit laptops directly on laps, beds etc. and complain that they get hot. Apple and all other manufacturers have been saying for YEARS not to do this. I use a bread board, but those Targus things look alright. Clearly they say this for a reason, right? Duh.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I played with the iPod Air at the Apple store and found much better reasons not to buy it than this heating issue.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No, it's not the heat that bothered me, it's WHERE it was. I've never had a laptop heat up at the wrists (correct, I've never had a macbook pro) Usually vents are on the side, the air has no sides so it vents down. Just something to think about before you buy, something I wish I had and something that made it a dealbreaker.

FWIW I had a 17" ACER 3.0 ghz (AMD) 2 gb ram 256 video card...that badboy heated up on the wrist rests. Giving you the specs simply goes to show you that even a plastic machine will heat up. If it bothered you then it is good you returned it I guess.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
My experience last night was quite different

I used the MBA in bed for probably 3 hours last night and it gets less hot sitting on the sheets than my MBP does.

Much less, actually.

Perhaps it's the SSD?

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Palm rests never get hot. And I find it a stretch to believe that an SSD gets that hot, this is my fourth SSD-based lappy and none have been warm for long. :confused:

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008

You need to think just a tad more about your statement after re reading mine. I do not think that it should operate normally on soft surfaces, I never claimed that. Again, all I wanted was for people to think about the cooling. My macbook could easily go 30 - 40 minutes on a lap or bed without heat issues. This is what I require, the air cannot do it. If this is what you require, you may want to think twice about the air.

Indydenny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2002
Midwest
I must be TOTALLY misunderstanding your complaint. I just used my MBP for a half hour, sitting in bed, and it was hot (but I'm used to that).

Then I used the MBA for the last hour browsing and emailing and it is barely even warm. In three days this thing hasn't gotten warm once. (Although I'm not doing any intensive work)

Covering the vents doesn't seem to affect anything.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
You need to think just a tad more about your statement after re reading mine. I do not think that it should operate normally on soft surfaces, I never claimed that. Again, all I wanted was for people to think about the cooling. My macbook could easily go 30 - 40 minutes on a lap or bed without heat issues. This is what I require, the air cannot do it. If this is what you require, you may want to think twice about the air.

You missed my point entirely which is that you shouldn't use a notebook on a soft surface. I can't think of any reason why you can't put something hard in-between your notebook and the soft surface.

To address the heating issue you were experiencing either you had a defective machine or you completely blocked the vents and were pushing the machine very hard. I've been using my MBA for the past 5 hours non-stop and the palmrests are cold. Not cool but cold. The only part that is warm is the bottom directly below the internal heatsink and it is only a few degrees warmer. I've never used another notebook that runs as cool as the MBA. The kicker is that the machine emits nearly zero noise. As someone who has owned around a dozen ultraportables cool and ultra quiet is not the norm.

interstink

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
I figures I would try to heat this thing up and see how hot I could get it. So... I started buy re-compiling some video while browsing the web and watching a video.

The MBA got hot, not to hot to handle, not to hot to be uncomfortable, and no where as hot as my Macbook Pro. In fact the bottom left is the only area where you can really feel the heat, otherwise the notebook vents very good and the fans are no where as loud as any other notebooks I have.

My non-scientific Assessment of HEAT:
Sony Vaio: GETS SUPER HOT (Palm Rests are Uncomfortable) and VERY LOUD!
MacBook Pro: GETS SUPER HOT (Bottom is HOT), fans are not that bad!
PowerBook G4: GETS HOT (Bottom is HOT), fans are not that bad!
Macbook Air: GETS WARM to Very Warm (Bottom Left is Warm), fans are the least noisy of the bunch.

Anyone else feel this topic has jumped the shark?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I figures I would try to heat this thing up and see how hot I could get it. So... I started buy re-compiling some video while browsing the web and watching a video.

The MBA got hot, not to hot to handle, not to hot to be uncomfortable, and no where as hot as my Macbook Pro. In fact the bottom left is the only area where you can really feel the heat, otherwise the notebook vents very good and the fans are no where as loud as any other notebooks I have.

My non-scientific Assessment of HEAT:
Sony Vaio: GETS SUPER HOT (Palm Rests are Uncomfortable) and VERY LOUD!
MacBook Pro: GETS SUPER HOT (Bottom is HOT), fans are not that bad!
PowerBook G4: GETS HOT (Bottom is HOT), fans are not that bad!
Macbook Air: GETS WARM to Very Warm (Bottom Left is Warm), fans are the least noisy of the bunch.

Anyone else feel this topic has jumped the shark?
MacBook: Gets warm (warmest at bottom left corner); fans quieter than MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.