Just Returned my Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fasacrifice, Oct 20, 2008.

1. fasacrifice macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just returned my new macbook.

I waited for it about 3 months and at the and it's just a disaster. It was my first apple product and decided not to buy any more apple product.

I had the same cover problem like most of the people and went to the apple store. They said it's normal and that's the way how it is. Finally I returned it without paying restocking fee. It's just ridiculous.

I'm sure most of the people buy apple because of the design like me. I'm not stupid to pay that much money for a computer with this stupid problem. I could have bought much much better windows computer (with bad design and Vista) with same amount of money.

I figured out how to fix it yesterday night like one of you guys explained. But Don't you think it's ridiculous that you pay double amount of the computer's real price because of the design and OSX but at the end you have to fix it yourself.

By the way you can fix it but it's just temporary it'll bend back again and at the end it'll get cracked.

I just called apple too but they said they don't know the problem and can't say anything without seeing it.

Good luck all you guys.

Maybe I'll switch to apple one day in the future.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

What do you mean by "cover problem"? I've never heard of such a thing. :confused:

3. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Yeah, same here. Does anyone buy these things to use, or do they buy them to just look at them on the mantle? I feel like these so-called problems people have are just going overboard. It's a machine, not a Rembrandt.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I buy computers to use. If it was a matter of the battery cover being loose I would either exchange it or just put electrical tape on it. I mean if tape is going to bother you, then you got it for the design and not the function. I would be hard pressed to decide to switch computer platforms based on a loose battery cover. There are much more important things to worry about with the MB.

6. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

So you said you can pay that much money and can put there electric tape?

I asked for the exchange. we checked few of them and all of them have the same problem.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

Is it a functional or visual problem? Does the HDD and/or battery not work?

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

What I mean is that I buy the computer to use. The battery cover issue does not effect performance at all. Of course I like that my MP and MBP look great, but really my MP could be in a cardboard box. As long as it didn't effect performance I would find it irrelevant. I buy the computer to use not look at.

9. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

There was no functional problem. Everything was perfect I really loved it. But as I explained before it'll get cracked for sure.

I still believe that most of what we pay goes for the design. So It was a design problem that's why I returned it.

10. belvdr macrumors 603

Well, until the proof comes out that these start cracking, I don't think anyone has the right to call it a problem.

11. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

I buy a computer to use too. A windows computer is good enough for me but I decided to buy a macbook because of the beautiful design.

And I repeat that again "IT'LL GET CRACKED"

12. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, You're right. Let's wait and see.

13. belvdr macrumors 603

You can repeat it all you want, but it may not be true. At any rate, if you had hung out a bit longer, it looks like someone found a fix for that issue.

EDIT: I should add I'm not trying to come off hard-nosed. I have a huge headache and trying to be as nice as possible. I own no Mac whatsoever now, and only have my work PC to use, which suits me fine too. :)

14. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

Please read my first post. I found out how to fix it.

So you can pay that much money and fix it yourself?

15. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

If I pushed, I'm sorry.

16. belvdr macrumors 603

I guess so. It seems people have to fix it themselves as Apple doesn't want to do it.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

No, you didn't. I just felt I was coming across the wrong way. :)

18. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Its aluminum. Its not "GONNA GET CRACKED". I have beat the living pee out of my 17" power book and there are no cracks in it. Its 4 years old. Get off your high horse.

19. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

If you have a macbook please take a look to the cover and the part which has the problem and then please let me know it can get cracked or not.

20. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OK, so you took yours back and decided to buy a Windows PC
    Got it

What is your point now?
    If others are happy... why try to convince them they shouldn't be? :confused:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

Please be nice.

I just wanted to let new buyers know about that. I believe that's the function of this forum

If it's wrong please let me know. I'll not bother anymore.

22. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I had my cover off for both a hard drive upgrade and a ram upgrade (where I, additionally, took off the entire bottom cover). I have not run into this issue at all...I've had mine off multiple times and it always goes back snug and perfectly lined up.

Perhaps there is a specific run of MB's with this issue?? I also read that some people have issues with slanted keys...again, I have no such issue. There ARE good ones out there...

23. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think the problem is rather that if you don't treat Apples like a Rembradt, they end up looking very used - that is, if they continue to actually work.

24. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

you waited 3 months, but the new macbooks were just released :confused:

I buy Apple computers not just for the design but for OS X. I went through windows based computers but I always enjoyed working on a mac more. Too bad about the cover problem, kinda comes with the territory when you buy a Rev A product whether it be from Apple, Sony, Dell, Nintendo, whatever! You could even buy a brand new car, take it home and already have a defect.

But in the end you have to be happy, so whatever works for you.

25. fasacrifice thread starter macrumors newbie

I waited them to be released for 3 months.

OSX is beautiful I agree with that but in my case it's not that much important I bought it for the design.