Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
It was an iPhone 5. Same spot as the 6 bends.

My friend has had it for 2 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, there were numerous threads/reports of the iPhone 5 being bent. Apple I guess didn't really learn their lesson and decided to make the IP6 even thinner :rolleyes:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yes, there were numerous threads/reports of the iPhone 5 being bent. Apple I guess didn't really learn their lesson and decided to make the IP6 even thinner :rolleyes:

Maybe because it's not the fact of being thin that causes the phone to be prone to bend, but used materials and design.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Maybe because it's not the fact of being thin that causes the phone to be prone to bend, but used materials and design.

Or, far more likely, it is because people bent their phones.

If phones were systemically "prone to bend" then there would be 10's and 10's of millions of bent phones. Unlike this thread which is "oh look, I saw a bent 5"...how long has the 5 been out?

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014

still boggles my mind.

if they had made the phone as thick as the iPhone 4, imagine how much better the battery life could be on the 6?

i own the 6+ and it's already amazing, but you can never have too much battery.

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR

There was no lesson to be learned. People break things. Everything actually. No matter how robust Apple makes a phone someone will break it and we'll be right here screaming about x-gate.

One thing you can bank on? Apple isn't done making these devices thinner.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
still boggles my mind.

if they had made the phone as thick as the iPhone 4, imagine how much better the battery life could be on the 6?

i own the 6+ and it's already amazing, but you can never have too much battery.

If you want a lot more battery life and are happy to have a much thicker phone, you can buy a case that has a built in battery.

Everyone has different needs and preferences and no company can meet all of them. For my usage patterns, the battery life is more than enough. I use it a lo with screen brightness way up, but I also plug in when I am in the car, or at the laptop, etc, so I never have gone below 30%.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Here's some other things that can bend if you apply enough force.
iron-girder-16584052.jpg

Maybe we should stop using those, too? :rolleyes:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yup

If you want a lot more battery life and are happy to have a much thicker phone, you can buy a case that has a built in battery.

Everyone has different needs and preferences and no company can meet all of them. For my usage patterns, the battery life is more than enough. I use it a lo with screen brightness way up, but I also plug in when I am in the car, or at the laptop, etc, so I never have gone below 30%.

My buddy does this. Comes in handy when I need some quick juice.

Not that terribly inconvenient, though it's definitely heavier.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
still boggles my mind.

How do you figure? The battery life wasn't that awesome on the 4S. It was OKAY but nothing to brag about. A thicker phone doesn't mean Apple would utilize the space for a larger battery. If you think otherwise then you haven't been an Apple customer for very long.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
How do you figure? The battery life wasn't that awesome on the 4S. It was OKAY but nothing to brag about. A thicker phone doesn't mean Apple would utilize the space for a larger battery. If you think otherwise then you haven't been an Apple customer for very long.

I guess he meant with newer technology, you can put more power and life into a battery of smaller space, like how the 5S battery was improved.

EDIT:

And what Max(IT) said.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

I'm sure he meant with the iPhone 6 dimensions and the thickness of the iPhone 4S the battery could have been bigger.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014

the current model is unusable without a case. its too thin

right, because if you make a phone the same size as the 4S, you're throwing away any other research/development on batteries from the past 3 years.

you still drunk from new years?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
the current model is unusable without a case. its too thin

right, because if you make a phone the same size as the 4S, you're throwing away any other research/development on batteries from the past 3 years.

you still drunk from new years?

I'll ignore that rude insult because it's typical from people who don't have any real argument. I was pointing out the obvious to your unrealistic dream of having a larger battery. Apple just has never done this unfortunately, so you can IMAGINE all you want how great it would be to have a much bigger battery if the iPhone 6 was as thick as the iPhone 4S, but that's all it will end up being (with Apple's stinginess), an imagination. :rolleyes:

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I'll ignore that rude insult because it's typical from people who don't have any real argument. I was pointing out the obvious to your unrealistic dream of having a larger battery. Apple just has never done this unfortunately, so you can IMAGINE all you want how great it would be to have a much bigger battery if the iPhone 6 was as thick as the iPhone 4S, but that's all it will end up being (with Apple's stinginess), an imagination. :rolleyes:

They said IMAGINE, so there is no need to say that Apple will never do this.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
They said IMAGINE, so there is no need to say that Apple will never do this.

I've been using Apple products exclusively for over 17 years and they've been cheap on ram and battery. They've never gone from thin back to thick. I think my observation and conclusion on what Apple will or will not do is quite qualifiable.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I've been using Apple products exclusively for over 17 years and they've been cheap on ram and battery. They've never gone from thin back to thick. I think my observation and conclusion on what Apple will or will not do is quite qualifiable.

I wouldn't call them cheap on batteries. Apple is using very high quality batteries in every device. My MBP is at about 96% health after three years and half of daily use.
On the iPhone Apple is using tiny batteries with comparable battery life to competitors using huge batteries.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I wouldn't call them cheap on batteries. Apple is using very high quality batteries in every device. My MBP is at about 96% health after three years and half of daily use.
On the iPhone Apple is using tiny batteries with comparable battery life to competitors using huge batteries.

Good gracious, I didn't say anything about them using crap parts. I meant they were cheap in terms of how much ram they've offered and long-excursion battery life. This has been typical of them with the phones and the Macs. The 6 Plus was a step in the right direction, but long battery is only in their flagship phone, but here we go again with the smaller 6 having so-so battery life.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Good gracious, I didn't say anything about them using crap parts. I meant they were cheap in terms of how much ram they've offered and long-excursion battery life. This has been typical of them with the phones and the Macs. The 6 Plus was a step in the right direction, but long battery is only in their flagship phone, but here we go again with the smaller 6 having so-so battery life.

They are not cheap, they are balanced.
Apple uses different solution to the problem than just throwing resources at it.
That's the reason why we don't see 8 cores SoC running at 3 GHz on the iPhone.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
These posts are so funny.

People bend things. People break screens.

The antenna on my car is bent. How dare they make something so crappy I can bend it.

Silly nonsense.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
They are not cheap, they are balanced.
Apple uses different solution to the problem than just throwing resources at it.
That's the reason why we don't see 8 cores SoC running at 3 GHz on the iPhone.

No, they are being cheap because they put 1GB ram in the 6/6Plus but 2GB of ram FINALLY in the iPad Air 2. The iPad Air 2 is the only one of the bunch without reloading tabs. I've only had experience with my 4S and my 6 Plus but both reload tabs.

And you're saying they are being "balanced"? Then explain why the 6's battery has to suck so much but the 6 Plus has such great battery life? Pretty easy observation that the 6 was designed as an entry-level phone and they intended for people to buy the 6 Plus. Notice the 6 Plus has more features as well besides the longer battery?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No, they are being cheap because they put 1GB ram in the 6/6Plus but 2GB of ram FINALLY in the iPad Air 2. The iPad Air 2 is the only one of the bunch without reloading tabs. I've only had experience with my 4S and my 6 Plus but both reload tabs.

And you're saying they are being "balanced"? Then explain why the 6's battery has to suck so much but the 6 Plus has such great battery life? Pretty easy observation that the 6 was designed as an entry-level phone and they intended for people to buy the 6 Plus. Notice the 6 Plus has more features as well besides the longer battery?

Battery life of my 6 doesn't suck at all.
And not using Safari I'm not experiencing any tab reload on my iDevices.

Apple knows very well that 6 and 6+ have different targets.
I wouldn't buy an iPhone 6+, as my daily driver, even if I like it. I had no problem to pay 850€ for my iPhone 6.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014

oh ya, extremely rude.

the world is full of sensitive people like you and it's actually pretty sad.

clearly you don't know anything.

i can't remember right now, but apple did actually make a product thicker. i believe it was somewhere in the iPad line. hopefully someone else has enough energy to prove you wrong because you're just a waste of breath.

know it all. "I BEEN USING APPLE STUFF FOR 17 YEARS SO I'M BETTER THAN YOU"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.