Just saw a scalper return 12 iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jp700p, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jp700p, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

jp700p macrumors regular

I was at the Apple Store today to pick up a smart cover and saw someone return 12 iPads. He used multiple credit cards to make those transactions. He said hes returning them because his "friends" didn't want to buy them after all.

Edit: Just incase anyone is wondering, it was a white guy. Looked like he was in his mid-30's.

2. LanEvo macrumors 6502

3. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Hopefully apple verifies those credit cards as being his
    I'll bet he wasn't counting on the fact that this iPad is definitely not in short supply

4. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i don't think anyone could have predicted that.

5. Built macrumors 68020

Awesome!

These jackholes made it so much difficult for those of us last year who made legitimate efforts to get the iPad 2.

6. iPad-Lover macrumors member

I was at the Trafford Centre in line and there was a bit of a disturbancy at the top of the line as I could see and this man gave a few people Apple giftcards, just handing them out to his friends don't know if this has anything to do with it, but yeh.

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

That's great to hear. Because of them, the Apple store I was at ran out of the model I wanted, even tho I was only about 30th in line. Six of them were at the front and all bought 2 each of the model I wanted, the white 64GB AT&T. My sales guy said he knew they were scalpers, but there was nothing Apple could do. I also learned that the AT&T version is unlocked internationally, where as the Verizon one isn't. That's why that model was their choice, but also only wanted white, which seemed strange. I sure hope they get a lot less than they were hoping for.

8. Built macrumors 68020

Too bad the Apple store doesn't have a "one return per visit" policy...LOL...Make this jerk come back 12 times!

9. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

i luv it that the scalpers aren't making any money.

10. iPad-Lover macrumors member

I hope no-one find's this offensive but.. they were all asian that were doing this trick buying the most expensive models... I was in the line and we were relocated to a different part of the shopping centre so it would be easier for people who were shopping... guess what.. about 7/8 of these scalpers ran to the place and took my spot, I was going to tell them to move but then I just moved next to two nice, genuine guy's which were a pleasure too speak too.

11. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I think it would have been funny if he had been told there was a restocking fee.

12. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

13. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Agreed, while I'm sure Apple has sold MILLIONS of these, it's also great to know that this year they finally made enough!

14. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

I'm really glad to read this. I can't Apple how well Apple planned in comparison to last year. The 16th I was in two different Apple Stores here in my city and they were both well stocked with new iPads. Even more, today I was at Fnac (a very popular store here) and they had lots of new iPads for sale. What was curious tho, was the fact that the price-reduced iPad 2 were more showcased than the new iPad, lol.

*I'm guessing scalpers are making some money by selling the new iPad on the international market where they are not yet available rather tan selling them locally.

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Ya'll crack me up - spend so much energy and passion to blast scalpers.

16. Built macrumors 68020

There's no energy or passion invested here...just a desire to see legit buyers get a fair shake for a change.

17. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

What? On what basis would Apple have refused the return?

Anyway, they are listed locally for like $5-$10 after tax profit. Really people? You're trolling for a hamburger?

Lame.

The supply chain wins this one.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple's retail store policy (and online, too) says they can refuse sale if they suspect you are buying with the intent to resell. My guess is that it is rarely enforced for small sales.

Also, the Verizon one is unlocked internationally. It says so on Apple's website. The old version wasn't, which might have confused the sales person. The AT&T version is the same one sold internationally. However, the Verizon one has exactly the same 3G coverage as the AT&T one. I'm not sure which version Canada gets. But outside North America the AT&T and Verizon one work identically.

19. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I can totally understand what those scalpers do. Everybody love to make a bit fortune here and there. I blame the demands!

I dread and blame the people who are willing to buy the new iPad from those scalpers with insane rate and price. iPad is not exactly a collector or rare items, maybe it is if you custom order it from Stuart Hughes.

It's just a piece of mass produced electronic gadget. So people should get smarter and wiser about purchasing it. If I'm gonna buy a new iPad on the launch day, I'm gonna get it at normal rate that Apple would charge you. Not a dime more! If I can't get it right away due to scarce availability, I'd wait as long as it needs. I'd wait 2 3 weeks or months until the hype worn off and supplies are normal.

It's not just a matter of you having money to get it at whatever price, it's about being smart. You may don't like scalpers, I don't like their buyers even more. Scalpers wouldn't exist if the demand is low to none. Like this case, he returned 12 iPads due to low demand or profit margin on selling it.

Don't buy from scalpers if you don't want them exist! Even if you're in China and no iPad available yet. WAIT!! It's not like you're gonna die if you get the iPad later than sooner. It's not like they're going anywhere.

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Even better... a $500 restocking fee.

21. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Think makes more sense that all the other posts combined. Including mine :)

22. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well thank you. It's just insane that many people think if Apple stuff is not exactly cheap and affordable. Some classic haters even say that they're overpriced. But now some people are willing to buy them at muuuch muuch higher price than Apple would charge you for an iPad.

So much for being an "overpriced" item, huh? :D

23. mcfinch macrumors member

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

When you see all the tickets to your favorite concert being snapped up online within 10 minutes of launch, followed by those very tickets going on sale, with those very scalpers advertising in the forums you frequent, I see no reason to empathize with them whatsoever.

They want some cash, go and get a legitimate part time job or something, which doesn't deprive other honest folks who genuinely want said product. I deliberately held off buying a ticket even though I wanted to go the concert. Would rather see that fellow choke on his tickets! :mad: