Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I sold my iPad 16gb for 300, I was gonna wait for the 3... but I was browsing in Meijers, a local grocery store, they had a new iPad2 16gb on sale for $300 so I bought the last one.

Should I keep the 2? or try and sell the 2 and wait for the 3?

Tempted to open it, I've been iPad-less too long...

I would try to sell it...you might be able to make a profit!

----------

Just so you guys know, shipping is usually the way to go in my experience. Sure you can stand in line to make sure that you get your product at 10:00 a.m. but you are going to have to wait overnight (maybe not so bad if you don't live in a cold state) and you run the risk of not getting your device on launch day.

When you preorder and have it shipped to you, apple gives the shipments out to UPS early, and has them set to be delivered the day of release, so you would still get your iPad the same day (maybe a few hours later if UPS comes to your house later in the afternoon). But at least you are ensured a unit, and there have been many occasions where UPS actually delivers a day or two early, so you might get lucky and actually get an iPad before 99% of the rest of the world!

Nothing wrong with either option though... good luck getting your iPad!

I forgot about the possibility of early delivery...maybe I will preorder.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
What do you guys think are the chances that the smart cover will fit on the iPad 3?

I'm wondering whether I should just give it away with my iPad 2 sale. It works fine and will save me $40 when the iPad 3 comes out but if it isn't compatible, I'll be stuck with a Smart Cover which has ugly black smudges (design flaw imo) and probably won't hold much resale value.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
What do you guys think are the chances that the smart cover will fit on the iPad 3?

I'm wondering whether I should just give it away with my iPad 2 sale. It works fine and will save me $40 when the iPad 3 comes out but if it isn't compatible, I'll be stuck with a Smart Cover which has ugly black smudges (design flaw imo) and probably won't hold much resale value.

Yours has black smudges too? I would think it would work with the new iPad. It's hard to imagine why it shouldn't if there isn't a radical change in design, and all indications so far are that there isn't. In retrospect, the nicest change in the iPad 2 was the addition of the Smart Cover. I would be disappointed if they abandoned it, unless of course they thought of something even better.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Yours has black smudges too? I would think it would work with the new iPad. It's hard to imagine why it shouldn't if there isn't a radical change in design, and all indications so far are that there isn't. In retrospect, the nicest change in the iPad 2 was the addition of the Smart Cover. I would be disappointed if they abandoned it, unless of course they thought of something even better.

I have black marks on the metal hinges, along the inside bar that makes contact with the iPad (I think it's rubber?), and on the inside of the cover itself. I complained and the Genius exchanged mine at the Apple Store but the same exact marks appeared on the new one. It doesn't scratch the iPad and is a purely aesthetic issue but it'd be nice if Apple figures out what's causing it so they can fix it. Despite all that, the Smart Cover is awesome and it's funny to say, because it's true, that it was one of the best things about the iPad 2.

The rumors say the iPad 3 may be a bit more tapered than the iPad 2. I'll bet the old Smart Cover will fit, but I'm expecting minor differences like how new cases had to be made for the Verizon iPhone 4. They definitely won't abandon the SC but there may be tweaked Smart Cover released with the iPad 3.

iphone4wanter

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Sold my iPad 2 16GB Wifi for $386.50 on Nextworth. Gazelle was paying like over $100 less than Nextworth so I was nervous. And I googled Nextworth and heard they scammed people before :eek: My iPad was just inspected today and said approved so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I didn't want to have to deal with the eBay/ other hassles that come with selling directly.

Last edited:

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
^ if you get your money that's great, but if you get scammed you're really gonna wish you would have dealt with ebay/selling hassles ;)

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Sold my 32gb for $450.
What will make me super happy is if Apple upgrades the memory for the base model to 32gb (and maybe continues to sell the iPad 2 at 16gb for $400). That means I only have to pay $50 to upgrade after a year of having the iPad 2 instead of $150.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
I sold my ipad 2 wi-fi black 32gb for $500.00 cash a few weeks ago than a couple weeks after that sold my sisters 32gb wifi black version for $490.00 cash.

Last edited:

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I sold my ipad 2 wi-fi black 16gb for $400.00 cash a few weeks ago than a couple weeks after that sold my sisters 32gb wifi black version for $490.00 cash.

Ugh, good job. I've never sold an Apple product on CL, especially so close to their next event. I was aiming for $500 for my 32gb but I came across so many lowballers and people who waste your time. Worst experience on CL. I'm glad I found a legit guy to buy my iPad2 for $450 (though I'll admit I felt bad because he's going to feel silly in a couple weeks when the iPad 3 comes out).

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I came across so many lowballers and people who waste your time.

That is the downside of CL. I give out a Google Voice # and tell them to text or call and leave a message. Tends to cut down on the lowballers who email everyone.

Redrum509

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2012
Ugh, good job. I've never sold an Apple product on CL, especially so close to their next event. I was aiming for $500 for my 32gb but I came across so many lowballers and people who waste your time. Worst experience on CL. I'm glad I found a legit guy to buy my iPad2 for $450 (though I'll admit I felt bad because he's going to feel silly in a couple weeks when the iPad 3 comes out).

I feel you man. I had so many low ballers it was ridiculous. I had a offer for $250.00 for the 32gb ipad and I also had someone asking to trade there ps3 for the 32gb model. took less than 24 hours to sell but it was annoying reading threw 20 emails of low balling until I found a legit buyer.

rm94quake

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
Sold 2 iPad 2's last week on Craig's List. They were 16GB wifi in black and went for $450 each. It came with everything from the factory and I included a case.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I got a lot of emails saying "i'm interested, call or text me at xxx-xxx-xxxx". Then I text them and they lowball me after asking which ad I was because they just email every iPad post and don't know who's who. For as many of us that sell our Apple product right before a refresh, there's just as many people trying to get a lowball offer from a desperate seller.

$345 is a hell of a deal. How great is it that an Apple product only lost 30% of it's value after 2 years?

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Didn't get any lowballers but got a few of the old "Oh, I am out of state but want you to ship it over and I'll pay." And my favorite, the I will send you a check for more than you are asking to ship it to me" even though my CL post clearly stated local only. I guess that's just the stuff you've gotta deal with...I did get a legit buyer within 24 hrs of the post though.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I guess that's just the stuff you've gotta deal with...I did get a legit buyer within 24 hrs of the post though.

Yep, always gonna get the lowballers. Same thing if you're selling a car or motorcycle or boat. It's probably happened for so long as people have sold stuff through classified ads.

All you need to do is find the one buyer willing to pay your price. :D

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Sold my 16 GB White WiFi iPad 2 for $450 to a local buyer on Saturday. (wanted $425)

Today sold my 32 GB Black iPad 2 WiFi for $475 to a local buyer. (wanted $500)

2 ipad 3's for me on release day please! :D

meechy

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2010
I cant be without my iPad 2 for one day, so i'm gona sell it after i get the iPad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.