Just spent 14 VERY NICE mins w/ ATT's Customer Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScrappyDoo80, May 28, 2010.

1. ScrappyDoo80 macrumors member

... I just wanted to share this bits of info I got from ATT's customer service:

She talked freely about the new iPhone but said they were not given details and were basically told not to expect details (by this I mean pricing/upgrade changes etc.) Until the last min. I'm a 32GB 3GS all-unlimited customer since end July 09, she said end July 10 is when I am upgrade eligible, which is "probably a little bit after the new iPhone will actually be available, so you'll have to wait , could be a few weeks could be a month or more" ...

Said that based on CURRENT pricing etc. a new iPhone 3GS 32GB would be $299.99 but there is so much going on with pricing and with the new iPhone speculation it could be same, a lot more, etc. Not sure at all regarding pricing. She said they all don't know when they talk about it at work.

I asked about the Unlimited stuff... that is, I have and pay for unlimited minutes, messaging, and internet. I asked if it was truly unlimited, and she said ABSOLUTELY... I asked her if that was really true, cause I send a lot of txt and picture messages, and use the net a lot, and if I do , will I get an email warning or a bill, she said Unlimited means unlimited, you're signed up for unlimited and have been since you started with us and you're good to go, completely unlimited everything. Again I asked, "Even the Net?" She said Even the net!

OH:

First part of conversation was the new Early Term thing, and the increase to $325, she wasn't aware of it lol, and she assured me it wouldn't get me increased if I opted out during my contract, it's for NEW ones, but I had to give her the address to the article on the att website for her to believe me lol.

Just thought I'd share, hope any part of this info is helpful to someone.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T has always had truly unlimited data plans for cellphones without tethering.

Only laptop connect cards have the pesky 5GB/month limit.

In any case, the rep was right in what she said. They won't know until last minute. Upgrades will depend on higher management and the ETF increase will allow you to exit your contract.

3. ScrappyDoo80 thread starter macrumors member

OK So i notice you said tethering

How do they know if you're tethering or not?

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

By comparing usage data, you can instantly tell if someone is tethering.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They do. Packets are wined differen when transfered from phone to computer. They just won't do much since there are 80 million people to look out for.

6. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

how are you eligible for an upgrade 1 year later? I checked my upgrade status and it said 2011:confused:

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Usually it's bc they're paying more per month, they usually shorten the upgrade date if you pay >$100/month, before taxes

8. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

that sucks... but probably is true

9. bigmac7 macrumors member

I got an iPhone 3G before the 3GS came out and I still cannot upgrade until 2011. I am very confused...

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

How much do you pay per month?

11. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

me too. I got my 3G in May of 2009. When i check for upgrade eligibility on my iPhone it says December of 2010 BUT i can upgrade for a discounted price. So I wouldnt be paying the complete cost of the phone to upgrade.