Just spilled water on my mac pro trackpad!!! ahhh!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike1527, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Mike1527 macrumors newbie

well it wasnt actually spilled...my friend was crying on it...its hasnt been a good today...but anyways i got a fan on it and a hot halogen lamp on it. so far its doing well. should i leave the fan and light on the night? i have a 3 year warranty...and i would pry out the battery but i dont have a screwdriver in my dorm!

2. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

3. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Your mac pro has a trackpad? That seems rather inconvenient, perhaps you should spring for a mouse. My MP is under my desk at the office; I'd dislocated my arm using a trackpad on it. Good luck.

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

how much could she (hope its a she) have cried to make you worry you have water damage?

5. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

gonna be honest, its kinda funny that he's worried about losing warranty but is willing to void it himself...

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

haha, It would have to be a TON of tears! I don't think a few tears on the trackpad will do much if it's just wiped up. I think you'll be alright. :rolleyes:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well those UltraNav keyboards are very nice.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Crying's never good, esp. if she she cried on your laptop :[

9. Mike1527 thread starter macrumors newbie

im using this laptop right now...and it was a movie and yes it was a she. she wiped it off and now the trackpad isnt as accurate as it was with the clicking obviously. should i bring it to the campus apple store? or should i just wait a couple days?

is there any "stickers" under the track pad that turn a different color with water cause then im screwed..:(

she cried on the trackpad. cleaned up the tears with her hand. im sure/well obvoiusly water went under the trackpad when you "click" and now its not as accurate as it was. i have to click it 2-3 times to get it to work.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'll be honest as well. His warranty is already voided since this wasn't Apple's fault and is not covered. (Ya think?)

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What movie was it? That's what you get for watching those sissy chick flicks. :D

12. Mike1527 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha it was the proposal...it was actually really funny but there some parts that she obvoiusly thought more than I that they were sad. but anyways so if i brought this to an apple store how would they know that its because of water damage?

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

They got water sensors (small paper pieces which change color when in contact with fluids) in the computer at different places.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Just play stupid if it doesn't clear up - maybe you'll get lucky. Nothing to lose.

Hard to believe tears alone can cause this much damage. Next time issue hankies.

15. Mike1527 thread starter macrumors newbie

so should i just leave it off for a day, with my hot lamp on it?

16. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

The Proposal was really funny! haha. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sorry about the water spill though. I think your only option at this point it to let it dry and pray it works normally again.

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

If the water sensors been triggered that wouldn't matter. But I feel its hard to believe that a few tears would do anything to the trackpad...

18. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Time like these, I wish there was a spinning flashing raptor emoticon...

DO NOT (Aforementioned emoticon here) EVER put your laptop under a heat lamp! Nor any electrical device that has been penetrated by water in any way! Or just EVER! Worst idea ever! Just let it dry in front of a fan or in the sun. Even that is almost too much heat. If it can fit in a ziploc freezer bag, put it and a little rice in and leave that for a few days. TURN IT OFF!!

Please clarify which mac you have sometime soon.

19. JWFerne macrumors regular

Generally I would put electronics that got wet in a bag with a lot of rice, which will absorb the moisture and let it sit for 24/48 hours. Direct heat from a lamp etc is not the way to go.

20. Mike1527 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha it works fine. just the trackpad is the problem. and the lamp actually helped it. before i couldnt click at all..and now it lets me click although it takes 2-3 times. should i try the apple store? and then if they dont. the rice thing?

21. Heavenly macrumors member

Heavenly

Rice is really good at absorbing water so a really good solution(it's been mentioned in a lot of zomgwaterhelp threads) is to put your computer in a bag so air can't get in/out with some rice to absorb the water inside your laptop.

22. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

make sure she crys over her own laptop when you give her the 1200$ bill for the repair.

23. Mike1527 thread starter macrumors newbie

the rice works alot better than before. however i cant "highlight" anything, or move any boxes.

24. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

:(

hahaha!

25. Mike1527 thread starter macrumors newbie

so should i try bringing it to the apple store?