Just spilled water on my mac pro trackpad!!! ahhh!

Mike1527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
well it wasnt actually spilled...my friend was crying on it...its hasnt been a good today...but anyways i got a fan on it and a hot halogen lamp on it. so far its doing well. should i leave the fan and light on the night? i have a 3 year warranty...and i would pry out the battery but i dont have a screwdriver in my dorm!

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Your mac pro has a trackpad? That seems rather inconvenient, perhaps you should spring for a mouse. My MP is under my desk at the office; I'd dislocated my arm using a trackpad on it. Good luck.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
well it wasnt actually spilled...my friend was crying on it...its hasnt been a good today...but anyways i got a fan on it and a hot halogen lamp on it. so far its doing well. should i leave the fan and light on the night? i have a 3 year warranty...and i would pry out the battery but i dont have a screwdriver in my dorm!
how much could she (hope its a she) have cried to make you worry you have water damage?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Your mac pro has a trackpad? That seems rather inconvenient, perhaps you should spring for a mouse. My MP is under my desk at the office; I'd dislocated my arm using a trackpad on it. Good luck.
Well those UltraNav keyboards are very nice.

Mike1527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
im using this laptop right now...and it was a movie and yes it was a she. she wiped it off and now the trackpad isnt as accurate as it was with the clicking obviously. should i bring it to the campus apple store? or should i just wait a couple days?

is there any "stickers" under the track pad that turn a different color with water cause then im screwed..:(

she cried on the trackpad. cleaned up the tears with her hand. im sure/well obvoiusly water went under the trackpad when you "click" and now its not as accurate as it was. i have to click it 2-3 times to get it to work.

Mike1527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
haha it was the proposal...it was actually really funny but there some parts that she obvoiusly thought more than I that they were sad. but anyways so if i brought this to an apple store how would they know that its because of water damage?

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
haha it was the proposal...it was actually really funny but there some parts that she obvoiusly thought more than I that they were sad. but anyways so if i brought this to an apple store how would they know that its because of water damage?
They got water sensors (small paper pieces which change color when in contact with fluids) in the computer at different places.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
but anyways so if i brought this to an apple store how would they know that its because of water damage?
Just play stupid if it doesn't clear up - maybe you'll get lucky. Nothing to lose.

Hard to believe tears alone can cause this much damage. Next time issue hankies.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
The Proposal was really funny! haha. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sorry about the water spill though. I think your only option at this point it to let it dry and pray it works normally again.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
Time like these, I wish there was a spinning flashing raptor emoticon...

DO NOT (Aforementioned emoticon here) EVER put your laptop under a heat lamp! Nor any electrical device that has been penetrated by water in any way! Or just EVER! Worst idea ever! Just let it dry in front of a fan or in the sun. Even that is almost too much heat. If it can fit in a ziploc freezer bag, put it and a little rice in and leave that for a few days. TURN IT OFF!!

Please clarify which mac you have sometime soon.

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
Generally I would put electronics that got wet in a bag with a lot of rice, which will absorb the moisture and let it sit for 24/48 hours. Direct heat from a lamp etc is not the way to go.

Mike1527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
haha it works fine. just the trackpad is the problem. and the lamp actually helped it. before i couldnt click at all..and now it lets me click although it takes 2-3 times. should i try the apple store? and then if they dont. the rice thing?

Mike1527

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
the rice works alot better than before. however i cant "highlight" anything, or move any boxes.