Just spilt half a pint of cider on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forest91, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Forest91 macrumors member

Ok I know my chances aren't high here, but can someone run me through a course of action. This has happened just now, knocked it over while playing a game, computer died instantly. I whipped out the battery and left it upside down, cider has been dripping out of it (would have much preferred if it was in me rather than the laptop but oh well).

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

What a waste of cider!

There are plenty of threads on here by people who've spilled various liquids on their machines. Have a look...

3. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's not really any sort of excuse. You had time to post a thread.

5. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Who the hell are you to tell me its not an excuse?

Looking at guides now, think I'll be giving home insurance a call

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Why would you even have a liquid substance in the same room as the mbp is beond me beyond :rolleyes:

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

People need to drink and mistakes happen. No need for that tone.

8. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

9. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

the solution is to stop drinking cider and send all your cider to me so that terrible accidents like this can never happen again

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

to the OP, if you know you are a bit clumsy (like i am...) i never eat or drink around any of my electronic devices...primarily notebooks. hope you avoid this in the future and good luck.

11. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Besides the tone of everyone's comments...

I hate to be the one to tell you, but this thing is toast...as is the case will all electronic devices, once they get wet, they develop corrosion, no matter how you shake them, let them dry, pull the battery, ect...

Corrosion is like rust on a car, once it starts you either replace the parts, which in your case would be the LB, and most likely everything connected to it...because it will spread and it may work for a while and then crash, or it may never work again, it varies, but in the end it will crash...if you have home insurance, get a replacement, Apple will not help with this, they will tell you that it was "abuse" and will offer to replace the parts that need to be replaced, and it will still be cheaper to get a new one, or a refurb.

Sorry, for the bad news, and good luck!

12. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

How hard would it be for apple to put some kind of thin sheet of plastic under the keyboard, as a barrier to liquids. I feel like this is a very trivial thing for them to implement. Heat is exhausted out the rear, not through the kbd (like with the old iBooks). People sit in coffee shops for hours on end with a beverage right next to their laptop computers. Having a beverage at hand is part of the typical usage pattern of a laptop computer. Not designing them to handle a small spill (250 ml or so) seems borderline negligent.

My (pentium 2) panasonic toughbook made in 1997 (that's 12 years ago) can easily handle such a spill. And it cost less than an MBP.

13. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Take it all apart...... everything. Douse the all the parts liberally in denatured alcohol. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Let dry thoroughly. Put back together. See if it works.

14. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Since it sounds like a ton a liquid got in there then you should open it up and clean it out.

What you need is rubbing alcohol and distilled water. Use the water and alcohol to remove the sticky residue. Any deposits left could cause shorts and fry your computer if it isn't already dead. The distilled water will not ruin your computer. You should not attempt to turn it on for a couple days to a week. You can store it in a container filled with rice. I went through this since someone at work spilled an entire cup of coffee directly on my keyboard. There were puddles of coffee in my macbook.

I cleaned the entire inside and had it back up and running a week later. Some keys didn't work at first but I cleaned them out again and it started working 100%. That was 8 months ago. I did buy a new laptop though because it was time to upgrade anyways.

15. Skydiver32 macrumors member

There is a thread somewhere that someones friend spilled a large coffee on her computer :eek: So since the thing was toast anyway, he took the battery out, and flushed the hell out if with water for several minutes (water is a lot better than corrosive coffee).
    He then opened up the computer and took everything apart and went on carefully drying every single component.

Ballsy move, but what the hell, the thing was shot anyway. May as well give it a try. If nothing else you'll get to learn a little more about the insides of MBP.
    The poster claimed it worked.

Sorry about the computer. That really sucks:(

16. Forest91 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your (mostly) kind responses everyone, I do very much appreciate it. As I'm not particularly technically inclined I really don't think it's a wise idea for me to go breaking in attempting to clean. I'm going to remove the hardrive, backup my data, wipe it clean and then let the insurance company do the rest.

For the most part, I'm sorry for not searching, I was just so flustered at the time, I thought I needed some first hand responses. Apparently that didn't go down too well with some.

My girlfriends gunna kill me (shes the main user of the machine, thankfully not owner).....:eek:

Have a great day all

17. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Take it apart, clean the motherboard with 97% alcohol. Let dry. Pray.

18. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

But seriously, I;m timing how long it takes me to post this vs. a search of "spilled liquid macbook" and I would bet this is taking just as much/if not more time than (especially when you factor in having to wait for a response) than what I got by searching... mind you, I'm not in a panic and would read the threads.

End result, less than 2 minutes I skimmed through 6 threads (4 of which linked to other threads that had already been posted as well as a link to the guide) and found a couple solutions. Typing that last part took about a minute an a half.... so less time to make that post, but if you add in having to wait for a response searching is still the better option.

On top of that, Tallest Skull's first post linked directly to a guide (thius providing an answer) AND wished the OP good luck. The OP then came back and said he didn't have time to search, did not say thank you at all, and then gave, what I would argue was an inappropriate response to a very logical response from TS (saying that being in a panic isn't really excuse not to search)... I mean think about that... if you're in a panic, which makes more sense: 1) Post a question, twiddle thumbs and wait (which, since the OP said they were in too much of a panic to search, they weren't searching while waiting) or 2) Type in 3-6 words in the search and read other people's responses.

I do agree that wishing someone's computer to fail is a bit harsh but I understand where that person was coming from.

19. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

You guys have serious issues. It's bad enough that one person gets on the OP about not searching, but several people in the same thread, needlessly giving the guy a hard time, is just ridiculous. Leave the guy alone, he just ruined his computer. I'd love to see you guys try this smug, pretentious crap in real life and see how you handled getting pulverized for it.

Oh and if the poster above me was really as good at analysis as he thinks, he would have realized that the OP posted at the exact same time as the person who provided the link.

20. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

If all else fails, and it looks like it's completely dead, don't worry. You can still get Apple to replace it. Bleach solution is your friend.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, PM me, because I can't discuss it here.

21. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

No, I noticed... I have eyes and am aware of the time on posts. I would have given the OP the benefit of the doubt if the next post would have had some mention of thanks in it.

22. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Not that it really matters, the OP didn't ask for your opinions on posting etiquette.

23. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Nor did I ask for yours (opinion I mean), but there's just a compulsion for people to pass it along on message boards - which we're both guilty of it seems.

Is it not a little bit rude to respond that way to someone that answered their question though?

24. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

It seems some people around here are do nothing more than to tell people to search these days (especially one person on this thread)...way to rack up your post count doing nothing useful for anyone.

You should open it, clean it with the alcohol as mentioned carefully and put a fan on it. Do not turn on for days even after you assume it is completely dry.

Cross your fingers and turn on.

Good luck