Just spoke to O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glanv, Jun 28, 2008.

1. glanv macrumors regular

Hello everybody

I have been reading through these forums for a few weeks now and decided to give my local O2 store a call to find out a few things. I spoke to a guy there who was rather helpful and quite honest about what they did and didn't know. This is what I found out:

- Launched on 11th, but he did say he didn't know what models would be available. He said based upon the first launch, where they only got the 4gb version, he thought it may only be the 8gb version available (I hope this isn't the case!). He did also say that they really don't have a great deal of info on what model(s) will be launched, but should find out about a week before the 11th.

- We can pop in to get credit check done at anytime (for new customers) and the order will be suspended until the model is launched and available. I'll be heading down very soon to do this.

- I asked how many would be available and he said they didn't know allocations at present (just like not knowing what models would be available), but expected a similar figure to the first launch of about 100.

- I asked about the time of the launch and he chuckled and said they are opening early in the morning around 0700. I replied, "I suppose it's an 0702 launch to tie in with O2?". To which he replied, "Yeah, exactly that". Luckily, I have the day off work on the 11th so should be able to be first in queue (providing the black 16gb is available on launch day)!

To be honest, I don't think we are going to get any more info than that at present. I'm going to try and forget about this phone for a week or so and then get more info a week before the 11th, as he suggested to do. I will be rather gutted if it is only the 8gb available on launch day, as I am sure a lot of others will be. If this turns out to be true, it looks like I'll be booking another day off work for when the 16gb is available.

I am sure this info has been posted elsewhere on the forum, but hope it helps anyway......

Cheers

2. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

there wasnt any 4g's at the uk lauch. They stopped selling them before the phone was even on sale over here.

3. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Much appreciated mate!

7.00AM:eek:

You guys think if i go about 10AM and get a 8GB PAYG it be sold out?

4. sananda macrumors 68020

the 4GB version was never sold by o2.

EDIT: i''m too slow!

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

dont think so
    remember, there are generally carphone warehouse's near o2 stores, and may be an apple store
    there should be enough!
    (apple stores are rumoured to only to be selling payg phones)

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

funny that as i went in a carphonewarehouse shop yesterday and the bloke said they would be getting payg in on the 11th

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

re-read what i wrote:
    "apple stores are rumoured to only to be selling payg phones"

i did not say:
    "only apple stores are rumoured to to be selling payg phones"

meaning everywhere will sell payg, but apple stores will not be selling contract iphones

EDIT: sorry, tone sounds rude. i apologise

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

yep sorry

9. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I have now asked in three different 02 stores and I get different answers all the time :(

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

yep, stores, online, and telephone people all say different things - no one knows

stuff that is generally the same:
    pre-activation credit check
    7am opening

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I asked in both an o2 & carphonewarehouses shop 2 of each, and got the same reply '' we will have them on july 11th on payg but we are not sure on price "

12. Pelorus macrumors regular

13. glanv thread starter macrumors regular

Apologies, I am just quoting what he said to me. I didn't buy the first iphone as I assuming 3g would come out a year later, hence I don't know a great deal about the first launch.

All I am hoping is that the 0702 time is correct and the black 16gb will be available. There are two O2 shops and two CPWs a few miles down the road, so I should be well covered.

Cheers

14. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Cheers mate, the place I'm going is trafford centre and it has all 3 stores luckily:)

Once again thanks.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

same as the centre: MK, all within about 30 seconds of each other :cool:

16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

O2 will be offering both 8 and 16 GB iPhones. Perhaps not on day one, but the details that have been posted to date do include the offer to upgrade to the 16GB model. I guess they may limit the 16GB to upgrades at first.

If. Big IF. I do take them up on the offer (good for several months BTW) I'd be going for a white 16GB iPhone. Black it just too ugly after the sleet styling of the original and I want to see what corners have been cut on component quality before I make a final call. I'm more inclined to just sit this one out though and see what Apple come up with next year.

17. LixLev macrumors regular

I phoned a couple of O2 stores today aswell and found out the following.

1 - You can pre-register your contract which will then be suspended and activated on the 11th of July. One store said this was from July 4th, another said that you could do this whenever.

2 - One store said that with the pre-registering, activation should only take 15 minutes on the day.

3 - Both stores said they were opening at 7:02am on the 11th.

4 - One store said it was one iPhone per customer/contract. They also said that if for example three members of your family wanted the iPhone 3G, all 3 would have to pre-register, and only the person who had pre-registered could pick up the phone on the 11th. (so if 3 of you had pre-registered, one of you couldn't just pick up all 3 phones)

5 - One store said that if you were on an existing iPhone contract for the first iPhone, you could only sign up/get your phone online. Basically they said that the high street stores were for new customers only.

6 - Both stores said they would be selling the 8GB and the 16GB, but were not sure how much stock they would be receiving.

I think that was all the info they gave me. Hope that helps.

18. philgilder macrumors 68000

this backs up o2 online as well:
    Existing iPhone customers can upgrade early to the new iPhone 3G for free*

*Best of all, the new 8GB iPhone 3G won't cost you a penny on our £45 and £75 Pay Monthly tariffs for iPhone. And it's just £99 on our £35 tariff and new £30 tariff. This special early upgrade offer is only available online at o2.co.uk anytime from 11th July until 11th October 2008.

19. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I'm worry I won't be able to get the iPhone until at least the 14th. If I have to order it online on the 11th then there's no deliveries on Saturday or Sunday.

It might even be 3-5 working days!!? So I might not get it till a week after, then there will probably be supply issues.

Sorry. I'm very negative.

20. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Last time I checked (friday), went into O2 store, the person trying to help me was very certain that I HAVE to come into store to upgrade :S, but I think I will do it online, because he wouldn't accept those facts Phil quoted when I said them to that guy, honestly they just want me to go the store to create a queue I think.

21. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Usually after a period like this the phone becomes free on all contract options. I wonder if O2 will do this.

22. glanv thread starter macrumors regular

Got my credit check done!!

Hello all

Thought I'd update the forum with where I am:

I went to one of my local O2 stores (there are a few near to me) yesterday and got my credit check done ready for the launch. The girl who served me said that both models would be available and that by getting the credit check done I would be in and out fairly quickly. I was given a copy of a paper form she filled in, which is titled at the top with "iPHONE 3G PRE-ORDER" with sections for my name, contact number, order number, staff member and finally a box with "8GB / 16GB" in it (in which she circled the 16GB). I am not sure if this is actually a pre-order, but seeing as it says so on the tin I am believing that for the time being! it also states "we will contact you to confirm stock availability".

Getting rather excited now and I am glad I called and found out I could get this bit out of the way.

Would be interested to hear from any others with a similar "pre-order" confirmation form.

Cheers!

23. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

'The Jobs' has issue a memo (leaked here and other places) that says under no circumstances can iPhones be 'put aside' for customers ahead of 11th July.

I expect this only applies to the initial launch day (or 2) - so they may 'contact you to confirm stock availability' some time after the 11th.

This won't stop you queuing on the 11th though will it :D

24. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

What info do o2 require you to take into the store to allow them to set up the contract, credit check etc?

25. MojoWill macrumors 6502

all you need for a credi check now is a credit or debit card registered to your home address. They run the checks through the banks

if not you need a passport AND a drivers license