Carrier Just switched to T-Mobile from AT&T....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoAnyway, Nov 25, 2014.

1. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

And I have to say that I feel so liberated! :D

I was sick of being throttled when ever I reached 5GB on my unlimited data plan on AT&T. Now that I'm with T-Mobile, no need to worry about that.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah it feels good to use your iPhone without having to worry about that stuff.

4. shorestyle macrumors member

shorestyle

woooo! used 21gb last month and i never got a text saying "you've used all your allowed data blah blah" and never got throttled

5. rluvbeach macrumors member

6. the caveman macrumors 6502

Just switched to T-Mobile from AT&T....

Its awesome to have the truly unlimited data option which i have the grandfathered option of 20 vs $30. I consistently use around 15 gigs a month, i have seen guys on howardforums bragging about how they use 150 gigs a month on their tmobile phones through tethering. I think when tmobile subscribers base grows to higher levels they will probably start throttling just like ATT does. Guys who use 100 gb a month will ruin it for the masses

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

More likely when Wall Street grows impatient with Q-on-Q growth and puts pressure on Legere to do something to squeeze more out of its customers. Currently, T-Mobile is showing rapid consumer growth and that is keeping the Wall Street hounds out of their bum cheeks. However, once that subscriber growth plateaus, as it will - thats when the heat will be turned on.

8. 617aircav Suspended

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

What are users doing to use 50GB of data in a month. On my best month, I might use 7-8GB and have never had AT&T throttle me, not even a warning. Most months are a little under 5 and unlimited works perfectly for me. Besides, T-Mo has poor coverage where I work and live even thouigh they promised "excellent".

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

You need Internet at home. Obviously.

11. rillrill macrumors 6502a

rillrill

Hey. Congrats. I just came back to T-Mobile from a brief week with verizon. I used almost a gig of data on verizon and realized that only tmobile is the most affordable for people who actually use these devices as they are intended to be used on the Internet. I barely streamed anything and went right back to verizon and cancelled my service that they were charging me almost 4 times the amount that Tmo does. The big two better start offering better deals or they won't have anyone else to gouge.

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I don't sponge and ruin it for everybody like some others here.

Most of my data use is:

endless updates
    endless automatic backups
    streaming music

streaming music is the killer. I probably go through 10gigs/month and I try to use low bitrate streams when available.

13. Bahroo macrumors 68000

awesome

14. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I stream music all the time but I don't go past 4GBs with it. But, I have Verizon so unfortunately I use wifi half of the time. I wish I could get T-Mobile but only Verizon was giving me the iPhone with $0 down... sooo I guess I'm stuck with them lol.

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Does T-Mobile pay the fees if you switched to them? Or maybe not because the phone is extra on top of the termination fee? But you end up paying for the phone anyway, yes?

16. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Not everyone uses their phone exactly the same as you.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Thanks for those words of wit.:apple:

18. nStyle macrumors 65816

$30 5GB / 100 min/unl txt from Walmart is the best deal. Honestly, if you have TMo coverage then you have Wifi most everywhere you go considering Tmobile LTE is only in big cities.

If you use a ******** of data and its faster than your Wifi at home can tether then I guess unlimited LTE is a great option. But I don't think there's a way to tether unlimited from an iPhone on TMo. Correct me if i'm wrong (with proof/link)

19. AppleFanatic10, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Just switched to T-Mobile from AT&T....

Yeah pretty much. I was in contract before I ended up on the edge program with Verizon, you have to pay the ETF first then wait about 8 weeks for the "gift card" with the ETF amount (from T-Mobile). Even then, they may not pay for some odd reason.. I've heard horror stories about T-Mobile and the ETF fees. On top of that T-Mobile wanted me to pay about $300 on the iPhone 6 vs. Verizon $0 because I was already a customer. I feel like it would've been more expensive if I had moved to T-Mobile, so I just stayed. Altogether it would've cost me around $600-$700 +tax

----------

If you jailbreak your iphone and use something like mywi you can tether...

20. 617aircav Suspended

I have Comcast at home. I commute 2 hours each way four times a week and stream live sports, ESPN all the time. Also watch Fx live on my way home daily.

----------

That's a terrible deal having 100 minutes only.

21. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I only need 100 minutes. How did you get the Wal-Mart deal? Do you need to purchase a SIM card from them?

22. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

It's a great plan for people who use VoIP apps or don't talk much. Lots of people only use sms or data

23. 617aircav Suspended

OK since you clarified it, it makes sense for kids etc

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Streaming videos (An hour of netflix is about 1GB)
    Tethering (probably a big one for those using triple digits)

Two things I can think of, anyway.

25. 5enohpi macrumors regular

5enohpi