Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
As I noted elsewhere, my corp AT&T rep recommended NOT ordering through AT&T, but rather through Apple. He has over 10 years with AT&T in this position and has proven himself unimpeachable in these matters the 3 or so years I've been dealing with him.

His rationale was that Apple hoards inventory and will have more of it to distribute. Also that AT&T was the more popular distributor of iPhones and thus runs out of supply more quickly. He didn't mention any specific delay.

I would trust my guy more than a truckload of random CSRs. My last corp iPhone (which I HAVE to order through the corporate portal) took something like 3 or more weeks to get to me. And I ordered day 1 of preorders.

But when did you preorder your last corp iPhone? At 3am EST or did you wait until the actual day?

My only issue with using Apple is... doesn't Apple have to connect with AT&T's site to check if you are eligible? I ordered the iPhone 5 2 years ago right at 3am and had no issues getting it.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Just a message, people really need to stop chatting with tech from phone companies and apple, and then reporting it. It's all non sense, each person will have a different answer, just utterly useless.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Hmm

I cant login through MyATT - have to go to the Business Premier Site.

I guess I will find out what to do at midnight.

Thats because you are adding a line, replace and phone and it does not go
to premier site.

Yeah, well whats different is that I am adding a line to my share plan and not replacing my current device and I want it to go to the premier site to use my employee discount.

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
Yeah, well whats different is that I am adding a line to my share plan and not replacing my current device and I want it to go to the premier site to use my employee discount.

Should not be a difference, but remember that the discount only is applied to the primary line on the account. Adding a new, needs new number and maybe other features.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Should not be a difference, but remember that the discount only is applied to the primary line on the account. Adding a new, needs new number and maybe other features.

Well its giving me a discount because I have the 10GB Share Plan and im opening a line and also using my employee discount. I plan on getting a new line and getting a new number and all that.

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I ordered an hTC once from AT&T and I got an open box with dirty fingerprints all over the box...never again:mad:

USE :apple:APPLE.COM

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
As I noted elsewhere, my corp AT&T rep recommended NOT ordering through AT&T, but rather through Apple. He has over 10 years with AT&T in this position and has proven himself unimpeachable in these matters the 3 or so years I've been dealing with him.

His rationale was that Apple hoards inventory and will have more of it to distribute. Also that AT&T was the more popular distributor of iPhones and thus runs out of supply more quickly. He didn't mention any specific delay.

I would trust my guy more than a truckload of random CSRs. My last corp iPhone (which I HAVE to order through the corporate portal) took something like 3 or more weeks to get to me. And I ordered day 1 of preorders.

Glad I didn't listen to this. AT&T opened up orders 10 mins early. Had my order complete by 3am.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Glad I didn't listen to this. AT&T opened up orders 10 mins early. Had my order complete by 3am.

Then you clearly haven't been paying attention. Haven't you seen all the threads where people ordered right at preorder opening and still have 14-21, or 21-28 day waits, even some people in the first 20-30 minutes had 35-42 day waits. Threads where people are trying to see if they can cancel their order due to ridiculous delivery windows? For similar order times Apple is clearly showing earlier delivery windows.

I'm glad it worked out for few people and maybe AT&T is being conservative with shipping time, but your exception is hardly the rule, even just observing on these forums.

Getting lucky by signing on before the official start isn't some contradiction of my point. Point of fact, the AT&T store was FAR more messed up for me than Apple. I actually got into AT&T early as well, but you know what it said after confirming a dozen times already I was upgrade eligible? I needed to call AT&T to complete an upgrade. Then booted me out and wouldn't let me back in. Was doing the apple app route at the same time and got in within 20-30 mins and ordered for delivery by Oct 1-6 which is pretty standard for a 6+ 128gb.

Nice cheek, though. Few examples of my point:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1776765/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1777059/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1777019/

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Then you clearly haven't been paying attention. Haven't you seen all the threads where people ordered right at preorder opening and still have 14-21, or 21-28 day waits, even some people in the first 20-30 minutes had 35-42 day waits. Threads where people are trying to see if they can cancel their order due to ridiculous delivery windows? For similar order times Apple is clearly showing earlier delivery windows.

I'm glad it worked out for few people and maybe AT&T is being conservative with shipping time, but your exception is hardly the rule, even just observing on these forums.

Getting lucky by signing on before the official start isn't some contradiction of my point. Point of fact, the AT&T store was FAR more messed up for me than Apple. I actually got into AT&T early as well, but you know what it said after confirming a dozen times already I was upgrade eligible? I needed to call AT&T to complete an upgrade. Then booted me out and wouldn't let me back in. Was doing the apple app route at the same time and got in within 20-30 mins and ordered for delivery by Oct 1-6 which is pretty standard for a 6+ 128gb.

Nice cheek, though. Few examples of my point:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1776765/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1777059/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1777019/

But my point is still valid that it was good that I didn't follow that advice. I followed my gut and it worked out yet again for a major IPhone release I had my phone order completed in about 5 mins and was back in bed before 3:05am.

2 years from now I will yet again try my luck with AT&T again. Maybe it won't work, maybe it will but I do know Apple.com was also a mess.

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
But my point is still valid that it was good that I didn't follow that advice. I followed my gut and it worked out yet again for a major IPhone release I had my phone order completed in about 5 mins and was back in bed before 3:05am.

2 years from now I will yet again try my luck with AT&T again. Maybe it won't work, maybe it will but I do know Apple.com was also a mess.

That's a fair point. Glad it worked out for you in the end. Did you end up getting delivery by 9/19? That would be nice!

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
That's a fair point. Glad it worked out for you in the end. Did you end up getting delivery by 9/19? That would be nice!

Yeah, it's shipping out 9/17-9/18. Don't get me wrong, I would use Apple as a backup if AT&T didn't work but i've done well with them so far as a first resort. iPhone 5 had no issue either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.