Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Good read. That's been my experience as well.

But, what's with everyone wanting a larger screen these days? Is it really that important?

Exactly. I mean 4" is not big enough, get an iPad if you really want a bigger screen to get things done :D

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Exactly. I mean 4" is not big enough, get an iPad if you really want a bigger screen to get things done :D

You don't know how much better it is until you own a phone with one. I have a iPhone 4 but once I got the EVO I could not go back to a smaller screen.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
You can't beat the tight hardware / software integration of the google android platform.

LMAO.

I don't know how most people even seriously consider it an option, it is essentially a homebrew cell phone kit...

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
You can't beat the tight hardware / software integration of the google android platform.

LMAO.

I don't know how most people even seriously consider it an option, it is essentially a homebrew cell phone kit...

I love that about it. I'm a tech head so I love to customize. I do it with my iPhone 4 as well but it's more of a hassle.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I tried it out. It is nice if you didn't have an iPhone 4 in the past. lol.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The thing I like what Sammy is doing is they are still giving us an memory expansion slot compared to others with their gadgets.

Amazon doesn't do this with any of the Kindles but B&N does with the Nook Color. HPalm never did this with their webOS phones. RIM didn't do this with the PlayBook. So you buy the product and just end up running out of memory with no chance to upgrade it.

A 16GB microSD is becoming dirt cheap and under $15 off Amazon. A 32GB card is under $40. So while people might get a 32GB iPhone 4S for $299 with contract, you can save about $85 if you picked up a $199 16GB smartphone while adding another 16GB card for less than $15. And I figure the GSII will drop down to $99 or less by Christmas which makes the savings for storage even better. About 80% of my iPhone apps I can live without them. A 32GB Android (16GB internal + 16GB added) for $65-$115 around Christmas sounds alot better than $299.

Apple never drops the price on a 32GB models. And when carriers do it, they are usually refurbs. If you want to save money, certain Androids can be decent cost-saving alternatives. Depends on their needs and wants since it all varies.

bobTX10

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2011
You don't know how much better it is until you own a phone with one. I have a iPhone 4 but once I got the EVO I could not go back to a smaller screen.

Exactly what I thought! People that think the iPhone screen size is perfect has not used a 4 inch plus screen in the real world and not just at best buy. Its wonderful for sharing videos and pics. The bigger screen comes especially in handy when I use navigation.

Globetrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
London
Exactly what I thought! People that think the iPhone screen size is perfect has not used a 4 inch plus screen in the real world and not just at best buy. Its wonderful for sharing videos and pics. The bigger screen comes especially in handy when I use navigation.

THis is a scary thought

When I got my 17" macbook pro the screen seemed huge, but now it just seems normal.

It would be a shame to start seeing the iphone screen as small, when in fact it's plenty fine as it is for 99% of what you need to do.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
THis is a scary thought

When I got my 17" macbook pro the screen seemed huge, but now it just seems normal.

It would be a shame to start seeing the iphone screen as small, when in fact it's plenty fine as it is for 99% of what you need to do.

I guess that's you. I like seeing my web pages bigger and my movies when I'm at work. Funny how the iPhone fanboys at work talk trash all the time. But when we were stuck at work and I have the hot fights steaming off the net on the EVO the were all trying to watch. lol.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
As a Galaxy S owner (not the II), one thing I have to warn you is that the OS and hardware is more buggy. My phone will just randomly reboot, take 20sec sometimes to load a page, or say a page cant be loaded when the rest of my internet is fine. They were so sloppy in making the S II that they didn't realize that clicking unlock twice bypasses the key code unlock screen. The S was so sloppy they forgot to include functional GPS. They need a perfectionist like Steve Jobs on board :^/. Anyways, all these reasons are while I'll switch back to an iPhone 4S when I can - I don't care about all these new specs - 21MBS Internet doesn't mean jack if your browser app refuses to load stubbornly

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
As a Galaxy S owner (not the II), one thing I have to warn you is that the OS and hardware is more buggy. My phone will just randomly reboot, take 20sec sometimes to load a page, or say a page cant be loaded when the rest of my internet is fine. They were so sloppy in making the S II that they didn't realize that clicking unlock twice bypasses the key code unlock screen. The S was so sloppy they forgot to include functional GPS. They need a perfectionist like Steve Jobs on board :^/. Anyways, all these reasons are while I'll switch back to an iPhone 4S when I can - I don't care about all these new specs - 21MBS Internet doesn't mean jack if your browser app refuses to load stubbornly

You probably believe that iOS browser does not crash :D It does. As an owner of both original SG and SGSII, I can say that SGSII is a great leap ahead. Still, I did no have any issues with original Galaxy as well apart from the well documented GPS fiasco.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Bottom line is if you ever go from an iPhone 4 to an SG2, you will come back when you realize you actually don't have a stable phone when you need it. Damn thing can't even end calls properly and I'd have to always worry about killing tasks so my battery will last enough during the day. There's nothing wrong with owning another phone but the iOS ecosystem is just too good. If you can't understand that, you are just a spec monkey chasing endless specs. I love youtube videos of the SG2 (there's one in particular) that runs synthetic benchmarks on the SG2 - I had to LOL.

I agree 100%. Anyone buying an Android needs to read this.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand

Trust me, having got used to SGS2's 4.27" screen for a while it made me think the iPhone/iPod's 3.5" screen was REALLY small. I'm not lying, it really was. My eyes got accustomed to the massive screen.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I guess that's you. I like seeing my web pages bigger and my movies when I'm at work. Funny how the iPhone fanboys at work talk trash all the time. But when we were stuck at work and I have the hot fights steaming off the net on the EVO the were all trying to watch. lol.

Bigger and lower quality.. I get it...

I would prefer to use a 24" monitor that is 1920x1260 instead of a 30" monitor that is 1280x1040.

You would prefer the later... I don't get it, but then I do. My parents have deteriorating eyesight so having a bigger screen, even with a lower resolution is beneficial to them in some cases... So if people have really poor eyesight I could understand why having a worse looking bigger screen might be something they/you would prefer.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Bottom line is if you ever go from an iPhone 4 to an SG2, you will come back when you realize you actually don't have a stable phone when you need it.

You're right. I actually came from an iPod touch 4 to the SGS2. Since then I've sold the SGS2 last month and waiting to get an iPhone 4S. There were too many little things that drove me crazy about it.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
We are all smartphone lovers and we love to see what's new but to always bicker and fight about who got what specs and what screen size it's just frickin' 3rd grade show and tell. All I know is that I'm enjoying the hell out of my life right now because I can FaceTime, iMessage, airplay, and wrap my phone around with so many different accessories and best of all I know that each year I won't have to worry about my phone being outdated like how you android fools always complain about. None of these nexus primes are gonna stop people from wanting to buy an apple iPhone, period. The nexus prime is not marketed for people who want their devices to work flawlessly, it's marketed for people who have the need and time to waste on "optimizing" their cellphone because the manufacturer left that step for the buyer to do.

the SG2 *was* king - now it's this nexus prime. What's next in 2 months? The Droid ballistic?

ZZzzZZz....you wait and see how well the iP4 sells compared to the SG2 & Nexus Prime combined. Even if it sells less than ideal, the non-buyers are all waiting for the iPhone 5...

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Bottom line is if you ever go from an iPhone 4 to an SG2, you will come back when you realize you actually don't have a stable phone when you need it. Damn thing can't even end calls properly and I'd have to always worry about killing tasks so my battery will last enough during the day. There's nothing wrong with owning another phone but the iOS ecosystem is just too good. If you can't understand that, you are just a spec monkey chasing endless specs. I love youtube videos of the SG2 (there's one in particular) that runs synthetic benchmarks on the SG2 - I had to LOL.

LOL Not me. I own both and since I got the sprint SGS2 my iphone has been staying at home.

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
well dude - I'll miss ya for a year...until next year, I bet your arse will come back crawling and raving how great the iPhone 5 is.

Nope. What you fail to see is I got the EVO on day 1. Then got the iPhone 4 on day 1 (few weeks after EVO release.) My iPhone has took a backseat since.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
We are all smartphone lovers and we love to see what's new but to always bicker and fight about who got what specs and what screen size it's just frickin' 3rd grade show and tell. All I know is that I'm enjoying the hell out of my life right now because I can FaceTime, iMessage, airplay, and wrap my phone around with so many different accessories and best of all I know that each year I won't have to worry about my phone being outdated like how you android fools always complain about. None of these nexus primes are gonna stop people from wanting to buy an apple iPhone, period. The nexus prime is not marketed for people who want their devices to work flawlessly, it's marketed for people who have the need and time to waste on "optimizing" their cellphone because the manufacturer left that step for the buyer to do.

This is hilarious and idiotic at the same time. Go get a cookie you deserve it

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
30956h0.jpg

devilstrider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
thanks man. I got a cup of seamen for you to dip those cookies in. Enjoy.

----------

I don't get users like you - why the hell are you even here? Shouldn't you be trolling along in the android forums? :confused:

I here because I like both phones and both have a use with me. It's just that because it's not my main phone you seem to have a problem with. LOL @ seamen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.