Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You test drove a dummy S3 and said it wasn't a good phone. A DUMMY phone. Your thoughts in this thread is as creditable as your previous in that dummy review.

How does one even test drive a dummy phone? Haha. What in the world is there to test drive?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Most of your points are subjective. Too big is subjective. I have come to dislike phones under 4.5". I have a note 2 and love the size. I've never used a phone one handed... Not even when was using blackberrys

A floor model sucks since dozens to a couple hundred are messing with it every day.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2013
the screen adjusting brightness while browsing is a power saving mode and you can adjust it and disable it,white is the biggest drain on the amoled screen and there is options to adjust white brightness while web browsing to save power.

the cell felt laggy or buggy because it was prolly in max power save mode by the last guy that messed with the cell.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The reason why the browser is dim because you an set the brightness individually for it. Simply tap Menu > Brightness.

It might feel laggy because it probably has 95 apps opened.

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I didn't have the same experience as the OP, I found the design of the S3 fitted well in my smallish hands, the screen I found to be superb but did find difficulty in bright sunlight. Buggy? No, that description is only used by those that have not used the device but want to jump on the bandwagon of other detractors. I must admit that I didn't find mine greasy at all.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I didn't have the same experience as the OP, I found the design of the S3 fitted well in my smallish hands, the screen I found to be superb but did find difficulty in bright sunlight. Buggy? No, that description is only used by those that have not used the device but want to jump on the bandwagon of other detractors. I must admit that I didn't find mine greasy at all.

I agree, the S III--despite its bigger size--fits very well in my hand, better than the S II with its angular edges.

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
I own a S3, and I can tell you that TouchWiz is not super smooth as the iPhone 5... however if you flash to a custom ROM...then it's a different story.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
I own a S3, and I can tell you that TouchWiz is not super smooth as the iPhone 5... however if you flash to a custom ROM...then it's a different story.

Eh, it's really smooth to me. Are you running JB or ICS?

But can't argue about custom ROMs as they are really fast. My S II runs a custom JB ROM silky smooth.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
You test drove a dummy S3 and said it wasn't a good phone. A DUMMY phone. Your thoughts in this thread is as creditable as your previous in that dummy review.

I didn't like this thread.....but then I realized it was a "dummy version" :banghead:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
1. But the size isn't good. Trust me on this as I have test drove one in the store.

2. This was much more greasier than my iPhone 5 has ever gotten. I use my iPhone 5 a lot and it isn't nearly as greasy.

3. iPhone 5 doesn't have any bugs. I don't know why android do the same.

I think the OP is a kid. Would explain a lot.

Close thread maybe?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
These are the same guys who criticize me for buying a Note 2 and complaining it was too big for my daily use.

Said I could have just "test drove" the Note 2 at the store without buying it to know if it was too big.

So if you complain about an Android device being too big, you'll get criticize either way.

1. Tried it out at the store without buying it. Gets criticized.
2. Bought it and used it for 2 weeks. Gets criticized

Remember, under "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices", you can only complain about the iPhone being too small. Complaining about the S3, Note 2 being too big is a big no no.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
These are the same guys who criticize me for buying a Note 2 and complaining it was too big for my daily use.

Said I could have just "test drove" the Note 2 at the store without buying it to know if it was too big.

So if you complain about an Android device being too big, you'll get criticize either way.

1. Tried it out at the store without buying it. Gets criticized.
2. Bought it and used it for 2 weeks. Gets criticized

Remember, under "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices", you can only complain about the iPhone being too small. Complaining about the S3, Note 2 being too big is a big no no.

I think the "software was buggy" comment is what got me, not the size part.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The reason why the browser is dim because you an set the brightness individually for it. Simply tap Menu > Brightness.

Correct...

OP, the screen did not dim for no reason. If you had spent any time learning what you're doing, you'd have learned that the stock browser has independent screen brightness and contrast controls (which are optional to use, BTW). Whoever was playing with the phone before you obviously had switched them on.

I suspect some of your opinions are because you didn't know what you were doing.

...and I'm an iPhone 5 owner.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys. As you know in the past I test drove one but it was a dummy version.

Now at best buy I test drove a REAL one.

First impressions: WAY too big to hold. It requires two hands to hold and isnt pragmatic. I believe that a phone should be sized so that it is more hand friendly than eye friendly.

Second impressions: It collects a lot of grease. I dont think they use an oleophobic coating on it. Very disgustingly greasy. This makes it not very fun to use or even look at.

Third impressions: The software is laggy and it has bugs in it. For example, the auto screen dim and bright wasn't working. As soon as I switched to Internet the screen would get dim for no reason.

Other impressions:

Weight: OK not bad

Screen size: Don't need such a big one

Holding: Too big for hands

Width: too wide

Height: too tall

Any questions please feel free to ask. You can also PM if you have any questions.

Define test drive. Test drive to me means you used it for 5 to 10 minutes. Thats how long a test drive lasts.

My Daughter is 5'3", 105 lbs and has never complained that it is too big for her hands. Are you the guy from that burger commercial with the small hands?...lol :p

Mr D

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Eh, it's really smooth to me. Are you running JB or ICS?

But can't argue about custom ROMs as they are really fast. My S II runs a custom JB ROM silky smooth.

JB.

It's smooth, but it's not smooth as iOS on iPhone 5. With all the **** ATT puts on it + TouchWiz features on top of Android features...etc.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I'm confused still. Are we talking about the GS3 which a lot of people who own it say the opposite of the OP? Or the GS4 which is not even available yet?

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Correct...

OP, the screen did not dim for no reason. If you had spent any time learning what you're doing, you'd have learned that the stock browser has independent screen brightness and contrast controls (which are optional to use, BTW). Whoever was playing with the phone before you obviously had switched them on.

I suspect some of your opinions are because you didn't know what you were doing.

...and I'm an iPhone 5 owner.

Well how come the iPhone 5 doesn't do it? It's bright consistently, EVERY TIME I tap on it.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Well how come the iPhone 5 doesn't do it? It's bright consistently, EVERY TIME I tap on it.

Because (and this may surprise you) the Galaxy S3 is not the iPhone 5.

Yes it's true. Two different phones from two different manufacturers running two different operating systems have different featuresets and don't behave one and the same.

Amazing eh?

Enjoy your iPhone.

Renzatic

Suspended
There are three things I consider absolute must haves when buying a new smartphone.

1. Does it turn on?

2. Can I make calls with it?

3. Is it greasy?

Only the iPhone has managed to score a perfect three year after year. Android phones? Well...

...honestly?

...I've never seen one turned on before. Needless to say, the lag was terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.