Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Brize said:
I haven't once suggested that a single visit to Hooters will result in a discernible, negative effect; in post #78, I made reference to 'this and similar experiences'.
Good, then. We both agree that this visit will result in no harm to the boy. Aside from possible food poisoning. ;)
Brize said:
It's well established that children form gender-role expectations from as early as four years of age. Where do these expectations come from if children aren’t acquiring gender-role information where it's most pronounced?
Home, school, the mall, other restaurants, church, playgrounds, television, movies, relatives, friends, hair salons, grocery stores....

If children are the sponges for gender-role information that you assert them to be, then one would have to assume that they'd not be significantly biased by a place like Hooters unless they spent enormous amounts of time there. And since wait staff is predominately female almost anywhere, any restaurant would enforce those gender roles.
Brize said:
Taking a child to a restaurant that has - according to you - an 'overt sexual nature' would indicate that the situation is characterised by a degree of complexity.
Not to a child. To them, it's a restaurant. Very simple. They either like the food or don't like it.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
From the OP!

Still can't believe this thread is still going...

The food was good and he got a lot of attention. Period.

And my wife isn't really mad, she just kind of rolled her eyes at me. Her step-monster, on the other hand, was appalled. She kept asking me if I was going to confession (her being Baptist and me being Episcopalian). I said '...every Sunday!"

A 42 year old friend of mine still smokes pot, and he thinks it's cute. Will he teach his 13 and 7 year old girls? What does his wife think of it? What's going to happen when his girls try it?

Watch MTV and the sweet 16 parties these rich girls have. Watch them cuss out girls and guys who try to crash their parties. Where have they learned this arrogant behavior?

I could go on...put down your stones.

XNine

macrumors 68040
MontyZ said:
I don't think people go to Hooters for the food! HELLLLOOO!!! :D

Well it sure as hell isn't the women. Honestly, you wanna see good lookin women. Find a classy fully nude strip joint. That's it. That's all. Hooters is crap, the food sucks, the women, eck, I'd never even touch those women, and football? C'mon! Hockey kicks football's ass anyday!

HURRAY FOR NUDY BARS AND HOCKEY!

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
jsw said:
And the fact that the wife disagreed? Seems that she needs to lighten up.
Lol... you're not married, are you? :p

Would I mind if my wife took my 5-year-old daughter to some place similar, if it existed ("Bananas"...)? No.
Ok, but try to think of it in terms of something you disagree with. A Wiccan prayer circle, Vacation Bible Camp, Gay Pride day, whatever it is that you find unacceptable for YOUR children. That's the point, not whether you'd be bothered by reversing the sexual roles.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mactastic said:
Lol... you're not married, are you? :p
Yes, to someone who needs to lighten up. ;)
mactastic said:
Ok, but try to think of it in terms of something you disagree with. A Wiccan prayer circle, Vacation Bible Camp, Gay Pride day, whatever it is that you find unacceptable for YOUR children. That's the point, not whether you'd be bothered by reversing the sexual roles.
Well, since they got rid of those Gateway stores ;), I can't really think of anywhere I'd really object to, but I understand the point. Still, I can't see getting all worked up over a single visit.

BTW, I've reversed my position after bringing my daughters last night.

I came out this morning and saw my 5-year-old in the kitchen in shorts and a shirt from when she was 2, trying to sniff a line of Splenda, asking me if I thought she should smile more at the boys in pre-school. I'm heading to Home Depot to buy a pole to install in her room later.

And that was after just the one visit. God only knows what the impact on the 4-month-old will eventually be.

But, hey, the wings were good.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
remember that part in dumb and dumber where the jeff daniels goes up to holly whatshername and says "nice hooters!"?. Dude, that was classic.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
hooters...
I always get a laugh out of this picture.

allmineboobs.jpg

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Lacero said:
I always get a laugh out of this picture.

allmineboobs.jpg

your iTunes recs are a little "out-there" man.

Ranking
All the Things She Said t.A.T.u. Pop
How Soon Is Now? t.A.T.u. Pop
Clowns (Can You See Me Now?) t.A.T.u. Pop

you should try listening to the radio once in a while. ;)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
A single visit to Hooters will ruin a child for life.

The reason: It is drastically different than every other restaurant where college-aged girls act extra sweet and flirty for tips. :rolleyes:

Hooters is no different than anywhere else.

At Hooters, the scantly clad girls bring you your food. Anywhere else, scantly clad girls order the food. Whether they work there or eat there, girls dressed in sexy things are everywhere.

For those who think going to Hooters makes a child a sexist pig, do you worry he/she might become a stock-hustling tycoon every time you bring them to the bank?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Josh said:
The reason: It is drastically different than every other restaurant where college-aged girls act extra sweet and flirty for tips. :rolleyes:
College-aged?! I usually see high school girls working at most restaurants! :eek:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
devilot76 said:
College-aged?! I usually see high school girls working at most restaurants! :eek:
Yes. The college-aged girls get promoted to strip clubs and bars. I hear the tips are much higher.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
BrianKonarsMac said:
maybe it's...911! =P.

Ok...well, there is a difference between 9/11 (which is pronounced nine-eleven and is a date) and 911 (which is pronounced nine-one-one and is a phone number). :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
2nyRiggz said:
...or any place where boobs bounce...
There are some pretty "busty" fat guys at the local Dunkin Donuts here... I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind you taking him there.... ;)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
jsw said:
Yes, to someone who needs to lighten up. ;)

Well, since they got rid of those Gateway stores ;), I can't really think of anywhere I'd really object to, but I understand the point. Still, I can't see getting all worked up over a single visit.

BTW, I've reversed my position after bringing my daughters last night.

I came out this morning and saw my 5-year-old in the kitchen in shorts and a shirt from when she was 2, trying to sniff a line of Splenda, asking me if I thought she should smile more at the boys in pre-school. I'm heading to Home Depot to buy a pole to install in her room later.

And that was after just the one visit. God only knows what the impact on the 4-month-old will eventually be.

But, hey, the wings were good.

I tried to ignore this monstrosity of a thread, but since it got raised from the grave, I decided to poke around, and honestly I can say that I haven't laughed that much in a while. :D

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Of course, I'm going to stick my nose in.

Personally, I'd rather you take your kid to TGI Fridays than Hooters. But I'm not the parent, and it's not up to me what kind of message you're going to send. I just think you'd ought to be careful.

Taking a six year old boy to Hooters is not like taking your 18 year old to a strip club or your 21 year old to a bar. These are considered (as piggish as they might be in the views of some) to be rights of passage. They way I see it, you took your kid out to dinner to a place with overtly sexual themes that he was probably not able to pick up on at his age. Had he been a 12 year old, I'd probably have more of an objection.

If you want to take your kid to Hooters, that's fine with me, not that it's really any of my business. At the same time, you need to balance that out; it's your job as a parent. That means sitting down with him when he's a little older and he can understand these things better and telling him about how important it is to respect women and not be a chauvanist pig.

I think that at this stage in the game, this was just dinner out with Dad to him. I don't think you really did anything wrong, and I'm almost certain you didn't do any damage, but in the future I'd recommend really assessing things like this before doing them. Ask yourself some of the following questions:

Is this in some way going to negatively affect my child's development of morals or respect?

Am I sending a message that my spouse would not be comfortable with me sending?

Am I comfortable with the message that I might be inadvertently sending?

If I think that I may have sent a message that I did not want to send, did I take the time to discuss with my child what I wanted them to obtain from the experience and clear up any issues pertaining therto?

I know that might sound really like... well.. you should be paying me $175 an hour for it, but I think it's important to think about. Like, really important. I am personally disgusted by the attitudes toward women in our society: we say they are equal but they are so objectified by many. You'd be surprised how many otherwise well-educated and cultured men say things that are just... SO out of line in regard to women - I guess that's just the way they were raised. Which is why it's so important that you make sure you do a good job with your son. Dad is the role model for his son's sexual life - he sets the norm and is looked up to. I'd also really consider discussing this matter further with your wife since she did express some, though probably minimal discontent with your outing. Just to make sure everything is all squared away.

Oh yeah, and ignore the evil step-witch. She'll get you, my pretty, and your little son too. Never mind, that wasn't funny. ;)

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Brize said:
I haven't once suggested that a single visit to Hooters will result in a discernible, negative effect; in post #78, I made reference to 'this and similar experiences'.

It's well established that children form gender-role expectations from as early as four years of age. Where do these expectations come from if children aren’t acquiring gender-role information where it's most pronounced?

Taking a child to a restaurant that has - according to you - an 'overt sexual nature' would indicate that the situation is characterised by a degree of complexity.

I understand what you're saying here and I might take offense to taking a 6 year old to Hooters if:
1) Hooters wasn't MUCH more boring than everyone is making it out to be.
and
2) If iSaint had taken his kid to Hooters with the intent of teaching him about "what there is to appreciate about females". If he had been pointing out the womens' bodies and trying to objectify them then yes, that would be disgusting and offensive.

I went to a hooters here in NJ, and honestly all I can say is that I was disappointed. I went in expecting to enjoy the ridiculousness of it, but it was really nothing special. It was a bunch of kitsch on the walls that was totally not clever or funny or interesting - much less interesting than at applebees or TGI Fridays (and they are pretty lame themselves), and a bunch of big screen TVs with sports on them. I just felt like I was in a cheap, poorly conceived, and unoriginal sports bar.

The women weren't all that scantily clad and they weren't particularly attractive. And the food was below average for any sports bar. I enjoy eating at Chilis and Fridays because they give you decent sized portions with decent quality of food for decent prices, and they don't have any etiquette -you can just go, eat, then leave. Hooters felt like a big step down. I left, irritated that anyone would even bother talking about the restaurant in any kind of scandalous way. It was just lame.

toothpaste

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
iSaint said:
He's six, blonde-haired and big blue eye with long eyelashes, not shy either. He started out by opening the front door the hostess was leaning on, so she nearly fell out of the place. He didn't quite know what to think once we got inside. Football games all over the tv's...then he saw the waitresses put the tickets on the wires where they slide them to the cooks, that was cool. We ordered and the girls were so nice...he decided he liked the place. Another waitress came over and leaned on the table and gave him some candy and talked to him a long time. Then he told our waitress about the wedding he's going to be in tonight (ringbearer, tux and everything). Chicken strips came with curly fries, waitress checked on us again. Another waitress talked to us...then he said "I like this place, it has great service!" I said it sure does, son, it sure does! He (and I) wishes there was one in our hometown.

Did I mention I'm in trouble with my wife and daughter???

Brings a tear to my eye. You are a great dad!

tangerineyum

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2005
Ontario, CA
We had a history teacher at my high school that was a manager of a hooters some where in orange county. He actively recruited girls for a new hooters being built in my city...that is until he got caught by the administration and got fired. hahahaha:rolleyes:

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
iSaint said:
Still can't believe this thread is still going...

As soon as I saw this -I thought the same thing- All this energy going into debating the morals and what not of going to Hooters. :eek: :)

Certainly making an institution out of base values is shocking - but a lot of folks (myself included) confront this every day. If you don't like it- I mean sincerely don't like this paradigm- then look at the larger issues. And the larger implications. It becomes foggy after that...

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
obeygiant said:
your iTunes recs are a little "out-there" man.

Ranking
All the Things She Said t.A.T.u. Pop
How Soon Is Now? t.A.T.u. Pop
Clowns (Can You See Me Now?) t.A.T.u. Pop

you should try listening to the radio once in a while. ;)

What thread was I looking at?

And how can you say two Russian lesbians singing Morrissey is "out there" - maybe you have spent too much time listening to the radio. Instead of FM I have three Czech women make out and sing Nick Drake tunes to me.

:D

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
ibook30 said:
What thread was I looking at?

And how can you say two Russian lesbians singing Morrissey is "out there" - maybe you have spent too much time listening to the radio. Instead of FM I have three Czech women make out and sing Nick Drake tunes to me.

:D
yo, that's awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.