Just upgraded to 32GB....@$209!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by handheldgames, Apr 7, 2012.

1. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Ive been maxing out my 2009 MacPro's 16Gb of ram and checking the net, NewEgg has many brands of "compatible" ram for $209 delivered. I went with the G.Skill RipJaws Series X product: 4x8GB PC3-10666 DDR3, non-ecc ram. Installed, it runs at 1066Mhz, compared to the 1333Mhz I received with 4x4GB ram from OWC.

Although I've purchased a lot of RAM from OWC over the years, NewEgg's price is almost 50% cheaper.

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

3. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

4. vandersmissenc macrumors newbie

upgraded

I upgraded to 16GB non-ecc about a month and a half ago and it works perfectly fine. I constantly run virtual machines and get down to 3-4 GB of free memory. I have had no stability or heat issues what so ever. All I found online was people saying it would have issues but so far I have yet to see any backlash from it. I kept the old ECC memory just in case, but I have a feeling I won't need it. :rolleyes:

5. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

My usage was the same until I started using more graphics tools.. It forced my upgrade as I was maxing out 16GB without even trying.. I'm usually running xCode, Parallels(3Dstudio max, Gfx Tools & Access), Outlook, Safari, and Photoshop + more at the same time.

I did notice that when I got down to 2-3 GB of free ram, the system - especially finder would start dragging. Perhaps memory was getting a bit fragmented...

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

There's a lot of times when I've wished I had more than 16GB of RAM in my Mac Pro (2008), but it's prohibitively expensive to do so 2006-08 machines. After Effects would certainly love me more. :p

But at this point, I think I rather sell my 2008 and get a newer Mac Pro that uses unbuffered DDR3 memory than spend close to $1k to yank out my 8x2GB modules and replace them with 8x4GB ones. I've been pondering this...