Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 42mm Stainless Steel Link Bracelet is arguably the most luxurious Apple Watch band available, but at $449 it may be worth considering similar but less expensive third-party options available. Enter JUUK, a new company that aims to fill that niche with its lineup of Revo stainless steel link bracelets for under $200.

Revo-2.jpg

JUUK, pronounced "juke," is a watch company created by Eugene Ho, a Canadian with nearly two decades of experience in the watch industry. Ho, who moved to Hong Kong in 1997 to establish Pacific Watchworks, has worked on popular brands including Hugo Boss, Tommy Hilfiger, Timberland, Ecko, Reebok and many others.
"During that time, I've developed great relationships with some of the top watch component factories," Ho told MacRumors. "This means that I'm not an Apple accessories vendor trying to make watch bracelets. I'm not a guy coming off the streets trying to make watch bracelets. The watch industry is in my blood, and developing high quality watch components is all that I know professionally."
Revo stainless steel link bracelets for Apple Watch are offered in polished, brushed or gunmetal finishes for between $145 and $195. A trio of 42mm bracelets are available to ship immediately, while 38mm bracelet pre-orders will ship in late January 2016. 42mm polished or brushed spare links are also available for $12 each.

Given the popular adage "you get what you pay for," this review will take a closer look at the design and fit of the 42mm Polished Revo model, $195, to see how it compares to Apple's 42mm Stainless Steel Link Bracelet.

Design

JUUK's 42mm Revo has a premium look and feel. The link bracelet is crafted from 316L stainless steel, the same grade used by Apple and many Swiss watchmakers, and this particular model has a lustrous all-polished finish. The modern design closely matches the stainless steel Apple Watch's polished case, but like other bracelets of its kind, it collects fingerprints easily and is more susceptible to surface scratches.

Revo-Side.jpg

In my two weeks of testing the Revo, being careful not to graze it on any hard surfaces, the bracelet still collected some surface scratches visible in natural light. The underside of the Revo is brushed to better hide those blemishes, a common practice in the watch industry for polished bracelets, but opting for the 42mm Brushed Revo entirely may be the better option for Apple Watch users who are less vigilant.

While Apple began selling "Made for Apple Watch" lugs for official third-party bands in October, the Revo has unofficial adapters on each end of the link bracelet that slide into the Apple Watch casing with ease. The adapters have locking mechanisms on the underside that must be pressed in for a secure fit. Some third-party Apple Watch lugs do not fit very well, so I was pleased this bracelet worked without any issues.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: JUUK Revo Review: Modern Apple Watch Link Bracelet for Under $200

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I am honestly waiting for Apple to release the Apple watch 2, which will feature a slightly modified lug design (maybe slightly thinner?). Making all Gen 1 watch straps obsolete.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
There are ones for $80 on Amazon and eBay that look much better than this and get great reviews. No thanks

Reactions: Huck

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I would've bought their Lucarno model in a heartbeat but sadly it looks to have been scrapped.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
That looks cheap to me. It's really hard for 3rd party companies to match the quality and finish of the Apple Watch bands.

Reactions: Huck

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
That looks cheap to me. It's really hard for 3rd party companies to match the quality and finish of the Apple Watch bands.

Hard to tell from photo's
The Apple strap looks cheap in some photo's also.

Likewise you need to balance price against quality with all things.
It's like when they review say a $100 tablet against a $500 tablet and they put as a negative the speed or screen of the $100 model, forgetting it's a fifth of the price.

One should dam well expect a strap that's over twice the cost to be better.
Is it twice as good? No.

SR22pilot

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
I have one. The logo isn't bad at all. Because the back is flush it is understated. This is a very heavy band. It feels more like a Rolex Presidential than the much lighter Apple band. Whether you like this is a personal thing. I love the heft. Mine is brushed so it looks closer to the Apple band. However, the sides are still polished and look much better than the Apple band. The band blends very well into my stainless watch. The clasp is nice in terms of looks but a Rolex Presidential feels better as does the Apple clasp. I have nothing but good things to say about dealing with the company. They met their commitments and communicated well. It isn't cheap but it is made to a very high standard so the price is fair. Pictures are posted on the third party band thread on Mac Rumours.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Developing a patina of minute scratches is a fact of life with a SS bracelet, and not really considered a flaw. Owners of $10,000 Rolexes consider it a badge of honor, and wouldn't even think about having the bracelet polished...

SR22pilot

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
This is a copy of an early Hoco band bought on eBay for about $50.00

I seriously doubt it. The quality of finish and the quality of the steel used matches very expensive bands. It does use a similar clasp design. Otherwise it isn't close. I think the look is better than the Apple band and I like the greater heft.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Hard to tell from photo's
The Apple strap looks cheap in some photo's also.

Likewise you need to balance price against quality with all things.
It's like when they review say a $100 tablet against a $500 tablet and they put as a negative the speed or screen of the $100 model, forgetting it's a fifth of the price.

One should dam well expect a strap that's over twice the cost to be better.
Is it twice as good? No.

I rather pay twice the price to have the best looking band. It's so noticeable how cheap and inferior this band looks compared to the Apple Watch stainless steel band. Just go to apple website and look at the pictures, the differences are so obvious. http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...h-link-bracelet?product=MJ472LL/A&step=detail

I have one. The logo isn't bad at all. Because the back is flush it is understated. This is a very heavy band. It feels more like a Rolex Presidential than the much lighter Apple band. Whether you like this is a personal thing. I love the heft. Mine is brushed so it looks closer to the Apple band. However, the sides are still polished and look much better than the Apple band. The band blends very well into my stainless watch. The clasp is nice in terms of looks but a Rolex Presidential feels better as does the Apple clasp. I have nothing but good things to say about dealing with the company. They met their commitments and communicated well. It isn't cheap but it is made to a very high standard so the price is fair. Pictures are posted on the third party band thread on Mac Rumours.

I'm glad you like it, but it doesn't compliment the clean lines and finish of the Apple Watch. This band is noticeably inferior.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I bought a similar band that I think actually looks nicer than the JUUK off AliExpress in August for $90. No logo. A bit more matte. Looks identical to the Apple Watch SS Link band, except for the sizing pins on the side like this one (only on the last 5 links) and the clasp which is like this and not an Apple Watch clasp replica. It is nicer than the JUUK for half the price and at a glance looks like I am wearing the Apple Band.

That's what should be reviewed here.

SR22pilot

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
I rather pay twice the price to have the best looking band. It's so noticeable how cheap and inferior this band looks compared to the Apple Watch stainless steel band. Just go to apple website and look at the pictures, the differences are so obvious. http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...h-link-bracelet?product=MJ472LL/A&step=detail

I'm glad you like it, but it doesn't compliment the clean lines and finish of the Apple Watch. This band is noticeably inferior.

I own the band and have had it on my watch in the Apple Store. I like the Apple clasp better for comfort. I much prefer the heavy feel of the Juuk. I prefer the polished sides of the Juuk. Mine is brushed on the top and bottom.

I am amazed at the comments from people who haven't seen the band in person.

If you want a light aluminum feeling band then this isn't the one for you. It does not feel light like a Casio link band. This is heavy stainless.

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
I am honestly waiting for Apple to release the Apple watch 2, which will feature a slightly modified lug design (maybe slightly thinner?). Making all Gen 1 watch straps obsolete.
Guarantee the lugs won't be different; if and when the Watch 2 is released, look for band compatibility with Gen 1.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Ridiculous spellings of names that are nonsensical and uninspiring always drive me away from a product or service, regardless of product viability.

Am I the only one?

The strongest part of any system or product lies in its weakest component... I wouldn't trust this product because of it's crap name, and definitely looks as good as what's it's price point is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.