Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I'm surprised that either the thread isn't already up or that I can't find it by browse or search. I certainly hope that the support that the US has recieved from the world is reciprocated - the people of Mississippi and the other affected areas suffered greatly, but maybe they should stop complaining and think about the greater tragedies that afflict the world. This really should put life in perspective. They are the ones who need our money and help. My ancestors are Indian Hindus and I would gladly give my life (or that of another) for the American Constitution, and yet my even my sorrow over this is greater than that which I felt a month ago.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I too saw the news last night (but was too tired to post) and am amazed no one posted it before.

It's truly a tragic situation, esp. given the remoteness of the areas which need help. This could come close to the tsunami death tolls by the time all are accounted for.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Man, oh man. That's almost like 200,000 people died in 2005 from natural disasters.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Horrible, it does seem that these thing are on the rise. I am considering everything Jesus said concerning the end times. I have never seen so many Natural Disasters. Scares you when you consider birth pangs which start out weak and far apart and get stronger and closer together. Tsunami's,Hurricanes,EarthQuakes,Wars and Rumors of, Bird Flu...............................

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
One thing is for sure i sure do hope that the death toll is exaggerated. Well i hope everything in that area will be ok.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Lacero said:
Man, oh man. That's almost like 200,000 people died in 2005 from natural disasters.

Is that including the tsunami? Cause that was 2004 (Boxing Day).

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Chundles said:
Is that including the tsunami? Cause that was 2004 (Boxing Day).
Regardless, that is still 200k in less than 365. I really hope this will give people in FL/CA/LA and other parts of the developed world pause to remember how lucky they are. Losing your home and money, having to wait a few days to be rescued, and then having charity and news coverage up the ying-yang is fortunate. You read the news and there is not near the coverage, there won't be near the money raised for these people, and most of us will forget about it until there is another disaster to compare it to.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
I will be impressed if this Natural disaster will get HALF the attention as Katrina. I say Half because i know that it wont get full attention even though there are already 10 fold more deaths. I am guessing that in about a week or two we wont hear anything anymore on CNN/BBC. It is disgusting how the "little" countries get so much less attention than the US. I really doubt there will be one concert held to aid money for the sufferers of this quake.
My heart goes out to all those that are suffering in Pakistan right now.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
vouder17 said:
I will be impressed if this Natural disaster will get HALF the attention as Katrina. I say Half because i know that it wont get full attention even though there are already 10 fold more deaths. I am guessing that in about a week or two we wont hear anything anymore on CNN/BBC. It is disgusting how the "little" countries get so much less attention than the US. I really doubt there will be one concert held to aid money for the sufferers of this quake.
My heart goes out to all those that are suffering in Pakistan right now.
I am too of the same opinion. It has always been the case of inequality to the less developed countries.

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
nbs2 said:
I'm surprised that either the thread isn't already up or that I can't find it by browse or search. I certainly hope that the support that the US has recieved from the world is reciprocated - the people of Mississippi and the other affected areas suffered greatly, but maybe they should stop complaining and think about the greater tragedies that afflict the world. This really should put life in perspective. They are the ones who need our money and help. My ancestors are Indian Hindus and I would gladly give my life (or that of another) for the American Constitution, and yet my even my sorrow over this is greater than that which I felt a month ago.

I feel there is a superiority complex in the west which leads to so little attention to disasters in the rest of the world.

I blame myself for not starting a thread like this earlier. The attention this thread has gotten says a lot. :(

My prayers go out to all those affected.

God is knocking at our door, it just takes longer for some of us to hear (me first) and let Him in.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I read this post yesterday and didn't reply but feel like I should now. I'm appalled that more people haven't commented. My heart goes out to all of those who have lost their lives and those who have lost their homes. I guess that our Indian/Pakistani cousins aren't as important as our American ones.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Otto Rehhagel said:
I feel there is a superiority complex in the west which leads to so little attention to disasters in the rest of the world.

i don't think that's a completely fair assessment.
domestic news will always draw more attention than comparable foreign news, and that applies to everywhere. I think it's normal.

that said, I hope we are as generous as before.
These people need help even more

here is a place to start
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/home.cfm

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
I don't think that most people value american lives more than others. With Katrina its a case of we knew for a week prior that it was gonna smash the US. Everyone knew about it so therefore when it happened there more more news coverage since everyone was expecting it. And even though its not as huge as this earthquake it still deserved its media attention. In the case of the earthquake there is no warning. Im sure there are millions of people in the US who are just reading it today in the newspapers and such. I didn't even know about it until today in my composition class since i worked all weekend. Once people turn on the news and see it there will be more help. I believe that the US has pledged 50 million dollars for aid and that will probably grow in the future. Im sure people will criticize Bush for saying thats not enough but we gotta disaster to tend to in our own backyard.

But i could be wrong, maybe Americans just don't care :rolleyes: you cant blame them for caring more about something that happens in their country as opposed to something on the other side of the planet.

My worst part of the weekend were the Eagles losing to Dallas...that was pathetic. :mad:

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Prelude2Tragedy said:
With Katrina its a case of we knew for a week prior that it was gonna smash the US. Everyone knew about it so therefore when it happened there more more news coverage since everyone was expecting it. And even though its not as huge as this earthquake it still deserved its media attention.

look there are still NOW on CNN comments about Katrina!!!

Prelude2Tragedy said:
But i could be wrong, maybe Americans just don't care :rolleyes: you cant blame them for caring more about something that happens in their country as opposed to something on the other side of the planet.

My worst part of the weekend were the Eagles losing to Dallas...that was pathetic. :mad:

I would edit your post..mighty quickly as it is insensitive and completely inconsiderate!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
There is stuff on TV about Katrina because its aftermath is still a huge issue. Just like indian and pakistani stations will probably have stuff about this earthquake in months to come.

And I don't feel that my post needs to edited. As insensitive as it sounded it probably holds a lot of truth. Maybe not to this macrumors community but to the average American who probably has only heard the word Kashmir in a Led Zeppelin song how are they to relate. I not saying that once they hear about it they wont feel sorry but they would certainly care more about the rebuilding efforts in their own country from a natural disaster than to a disaster somewhere else. But thats just my thoughts, feel free to disagree.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Prelude2Tragedy said:
And I don't feel that my post needs to edited. As insensitive as it sounded it probably holds a lot of truth. Maybe not to this macrumors community but to the average American who probably has only heard the word Kashmir in a Led Zeppelin song how are they to relate. I not saying that once they hear about it they wont feel sorry but they would certainly care more about the rebuilding efforts in their own country from a natural disaster than to a disaster somewhere else. But thats just my thoughts, feel free to disagree.

i think s/he was referring to the fact that you concluded a post discussing a tragedy that led to 30-40.000 deaths (>10.000 children) stating that the worst part of the weekend was the eagles loss to dallas, which honestly, is about as insensitive as it gets

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Prelude2Tragedy said:
And even though its not as huge as this earthquake it still deserved its media attention....Im sure there are millions of people in the US who are just reading it today in the newspapers and such. I didn't even know about it until today in my composition class since i worked all weekend. Once people turn on the news and see it there will be more help. I believe that the US has pledged 50 million dollars for aid and that will probably grow in the future. Im sure people will criticize Bush for saying thats not enough but we gotta disaster to tend to in our own backyard...But i could be wrong, maybe Americans just don't care :rolleyes: you cant blame them for caring more about something that happens in their country as opposed to something on the other side of the planet.
I understand that the hurricane merited attention, but there is a point at which saturation becomes overwhelming. Honestly, I'm sick of the hurricane. I know that there are people for whom the hurricane still affects their lives, but I just don't care any more. I'm sick of it. I think its domination of the news is to blame for my (and your) next point.

You didn't know about the earthquake until today. And you point out, accurately, that many Americans won't know about it until today. I blame our failure to address external problems. Remember, the hurricane came over a weekend, just like the earthquake - so the news coverage should have been somewhat parallel (no blaming the lack of coverage on the weekend). When 20-30k people die, I think that news breaks are acceptable.

I don't think that America or President Bush deserve blame for not sending more money up front, and I'm not blaming them now. However, I do believe that if we were so willing to accept money and assistance for the hurricane refugees, we should provide the same for others. I especially believe that those who complain that there is not enough being done for the third world should be willing to put their money where their tongues are (I'm talking to you Bono).

That brings me to the point of Americans caring. You know what, Americans can't be blamed for caring more about the people of Mississippi and other local areas more than others. But, if we want to show that we are compassionate people, who cherish life everywhere, and the lives of all people, is it really in our interest to, at the time that Muslims and Hindus are at greatest need, fail to mourn and help? I honestly think that this can be a blessing for the world. Many have died, but their memory can be celebrated by caring for the people and respecting them. I think that India air dropping burial shrouds - showing respect for the affected Muslims - is a step to improving relations for those two. Now, what can the West do? Help quickly, restore quickly, leave quickly - all the while respecting culture and not trying to change it (that goes for both conservatives and liberals).

Edit: This is what I'm talking about. We can do better than this. The Americans, Brits, Japanese, Emiratians, and Turks are heros. Indians, Russians, Chinese, and Germans are in the process of becoming so. The rest of the world? And, I guess my hope for improved relations between India and Pakistan was a bit too much. For this, I hope Musharraf's government collapses. I only pity the afflicted whose lives are being lost because of those fools.Nevermind that last part.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Remember the delay in response to the Asian tsunami. It was a good week before the UK started to wake up and give money. it was probably the most successful campaign for aid that our country has ever seen, and a good thing too. The charities even said thatt they reached their targets and did not require further donations!

I think the momentum will gather for this one. Oxfam have just sent their appeal emails out, and it is still getting headline coverage on BBC. I can't speak for the US, but the appeal is gathering pace here. I just hope there isn't any "donation fatigue" because of the recent disasters.

Applespider

macrumors G4
dops7107 said:
I can't speak for the US, but the appeal is gathering pace here. I just hope there isn't any "donation fatigue" because of the recent disasters.

These days, I have one regular payment to a cancer charity and the rest of my charity 'budget' goes to natural disaster relief. Should there be a year without a disaster, I'll donate the extra 'budget' to Shelter's Christmas appeal.

There may not be donation fatigue but I suspect there will be some with limited budgets who might not be able to afford much more. I also think there wasn't a huge public donation run for Katrina in the UK, so perhaps more likely to be generous. I must say my first thought was to check with my local, very good, Indian restaurant that all their family were OK, since I know they're from the north of India.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
nbs2 said:
And, I guess my hope for improved relations between India and Pakistan was a bit too much. For this, I hope Musharraf's government collapses. I only pity the afflicted whose lives are being lost because of those fools.Nevermind that last part.
The presence of Indian (military, cargo) helicopters in Pakistan would not be allowed under any Pakistani government, so this can't be ascribed solely to Musharraf. I share your hope that this incident can be an opening to better relations between Pakistan and India.

When this news first hit the death toll estimates were very low, and all of my relatives were accounted for and safe, so I was sort of relieved. Now with the death toll rising into the tens of thousands, and stories of school children crushed and killed by their school buildings, well this really hurts.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Prelude2Tragedy said:

You, Prelude2Tragedy, are pathetic. And isn't your name so ironic? Anybody who worries more about a worthless football game than a terrible tragedy involving the deaths of thousands is profoundly, morally bankrupt.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
My heart, thoughts and prayers

go out to our eastern family. It is a sad, sad year indeed with so much tragedy. May each individual's spirit be strong and unbroken during these times of loss and pain. Better thing await us all, and we will rest together in the end. So put aside difference and political opinion and give support to ALL those who have suffered and STILL do abroad and here at home. Life loss is tragic no matter where it happens or in what amount.

Praise be to all that feel compassion and share tears for all of the fallen brothers and sisters around the globe.

I'm sure there will be more charity... these things can't be organized overnight. everyone said the exact same things about the tsunami and katrina... it will come.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Two thoughts

Charity - I think that there will be a charity buildup, but that isn't what bothers me. It is the lack of coverage. The hurricane, for example, dominated the Yahoo and Google front page for weeks. This got a couple days on Yahoo and nothing on Google. I look at that as symbolic of the coverage in general.

People being angry about the Eagles/Cowboys response here - Cut the guy some slack. I'm not sure where everybody is from, but one thing that America does well is escape into sports. The tragedy did not directly affect Americans, but I would not be surprised to hear that he has family or ancestors from the area. Maybe the timing of his comments are offensive to others, maybe they were not the best way to go about making them, maybe he really is an insenstitive prick. But, I have tried hard to focus on other things than tragedies in order to help myself stay positive. For me, it has been trying to dive harder into school, panicking when I watch my Cards play (fearing for the worst). If I didn't, I'd probably quickly become a moribund individual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.