Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
For me it comes down to this. I have a pretty nice system at home with a 55" screen and a 7.1 surround sound system. This is a movie that will play well on my screen and does not require anything larger. There are movies that have lots of special effects or cinematography that is just way better on larger screens, but this is not one of them. So there is no need for a theater. And I have no issue paying for art and I do pay. In this case I will pay Apple on-demand or Netflix, just not the movie house.

I'm with you. I can't stand dealing with annoying people in a movie theater so I only go when it's a movie that needs a large screen and then I go during the day in the middle of the week to minimize how many other people will be there. Really, considering how far away I sit in a real theater compared to where I sit in relation to my 109" projection screen at home, a movie theater screen isn't that much bigger in my field of view. If I added mini cardboard people silhouettes between myself and my home screen to give me perspective, I could trick myself into thinking I'm watching a huge screen. And I can eat whatever, drink whatever, smoke whatever, wear whatever and fully enjoy the movie at the ambient temperature and audio volume *I* like.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What's wrong with paying to see art?

I'd still go to the movie theater too, if I wanted to pay an entire month's worth of Netflix in exchange for two hours of sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, uncontrollable volume, mediocre picture quality, sharing the room with inconsiderate idiots, obnoxious commercials, awkward seating locations, expensive and terrible food, expensive and terrible drinks, trailers so long and revealing that they spoil entire films, and no ability to pause the movie for a bathroom break.

Besides, paying for Netflix is paying for art. I'd argue that I can appreciate that art a lot better at home.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
Think how fast he could build Macs!
Or how slow. Apple sold around 18.9 million Macs in 2014 (the financial year, not the other unreal one), that means almost 36 Macs are finished in one minute, which is quite slow compared to the 322 iPhones finished every minute.

Quite a lot of devices. Astonishing.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I watched the trailer yesterday, and came away impressed. This looks like a much more compelling & entertaining movie then the previous Jobs bio attempts.
Same here. Also, when movie insiders of the calibre of Winslet speak so highly of an upcoming release, my interest is now piqued even more than it already was..... once it comes out, I'll definitely see it.....

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Sounds adventurous. Reality TV film. As long as he can keep that camera from shaking.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
I'd still go to the movie theater too, if I wanted to pay an entire month's worth of Netflix in exchange for two hours of sticky floors, uncomfortable seats, uncontrollable volume, mediocre picture quality, sharing the room with inconsiderate idiots, obnoxious commercials, awkward seating locations, expensive and terrible food, expensive and terrible drinks, trailers so long and revealing that they spoil entire films, and no ability to pause the movie for a bathroom break.

Besides, paying for Netflix is paying for art. I'd argue that I can appreciate that art a lot better at home.
I've been in some movie theaters in North America, and i think they can only blame themselves ( and not the rise of Home Cinema sets) if they see their audience dropping. Sometimes they feel more like greasy diners with a movie projected in the background as a bonus.
One the things i really enjoy in Europe ( and especially Paris ) is the quality of the movie theaters. Excellent sound and image ( even in some small neighborhood cinemas), confortable seats, and eating in the theater during the movie is very much frown upon here. In fact i would say 80% of the time, i never see anyone eating or drinking once the movie starts (unless it's a kids movie )
Cinema audiences have been actually increasing here.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The trailer looks better than I expected, I might end up watching it on netflix when it comes out, but I don't see myself going to a theater to see it.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010

steve-jobs-kate-winslet-800x340.jpg

Could someone tell me which one of those dudes is playing Steve Jobs, because neither one looks even remotely like him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.