Katie's Blog Feedback

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by sillycybin, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sillycybin macrumors member

Katies blog is a huge turnoff. I dont care about what kind of soup she eats, or how she feels about the 'scene' of a specific Apple store. I want facts and I want them in complete sentences.

I guess maybe some peeps around here care about her embroidered work gear, wonderful eating habits, and impressive vocabulary more than actual iPhone info.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's certainly a departure from the other material on the site, but that's part of the intention. There should be plenty of "facts" and other content otherwise that this recurring column won't affect. :)

arn

3. sbrownla macrumors regular

i agree

Why not get one of the girls from Shiny? They're a lot more... refined?

Soup? Wretched rap music?

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

It's fairly simple, really. Don't like it? Don't read it.

I for one think its a great idea and Katie does a great job, more of a consumer level experience rather than talking about the finer technical points. Fair enough if this was the only information you could get about the iPhone, but since there are other blogs I don't see how you can complain.

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I agree. Katie is doing an absolutely wonderful job of posting these things from the point-of-view of an average consumer. Ok, maybe not SO average...

In case you haven't noticed, Katie isn't the hard fact/statistical type of person on the forums, so why should she change into that on a blog?

Once again, Katie, I applaud you at being able to do this. You are doing a fine job and keep up the good work. Look forward to hearing more from you.

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Where is Abilene and why don't they have EDGE?

I like Katie's blog and I look forward to her posts. Sure it's not he sort of thing that MR normally does, but what's wrong with trying to broaden ones content?

SL

7. blakespot Administrator

blakespot

I am no fan of rap music, but I like Katie's blog and am on-board with what Arn's shooting for there.

blakespot

8. br208 macrumors newbie

Re: Katie's post I enjoy her style and she did hi-lite a problem that I for one was unaware of. I think her blog shows great potential,
    br

9. fixyourthinking macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

But arn,

This person seems to be a real whiney complainer who doesn't seem to understand technology or respect "business". While it seems their issues were real and bothersome ... the argument was GREATLY diminished by the way it was worded and the problems framed within the story.

Pretentious comes to mind.

10. Leesure macrumors newbie

It's a BLOG

Yes, it's different from the technical reporting, but I like it. Keep it up Katie.

"This person seems to be a real whiney complainer who doesn't seem to understand technology or respect "business"."

"Whiney complainer"? What, because she has the audacity to complain about a real problem that is not all that uncommon? 'Doesn't respect "Business'''?? WTF are you talking about?

Pretentious? Yes, you are.

11. slate1 macrumors regular

What?!?! There's not enough business oriented techno-babble on the 'net for you? Not enough on this site alone for you? "Pretentious" - hmmmm, interesting choice of words.

I find Katie's blog quite refreshing and a departure from the usually dry norm. Dare I say... it's more human? More grounded?

The interesting thing about all the pictures I've seen of the iPhone launch across the nation is that 75% of those shown buying the phone appear to be individuals: a) under the age of 18 and b) who have most certainly never seen anything remotely resembling a job. Quite bluntly, I could care less about how well the iPhone allows these individuals to update and check their MySpace page. Katie's perspective, however, is right in line with many of us.

Katie - keep doing EXACTLY what you're doing (and I know you will...) and many of us will keep reading. I'm green with envy, by the way, at the idea of having two Apple stores at your disposal... I'd take one without the gaggle of 13 year old girls spending hours giggling as they make faces in Photo Booth...

12. blindzero macrumors regular

What in gods name are you talking about?
    Quit trolling.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The beauty of this is that there is no prerequisite for this job. I accept that there will be some people who may never like it especially considering the site audience... but I would ask people to not be rude to Katie.

arn

14. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

No offense, but, get over yourself! Katie's blog is fun and gives a different POV. For those of us still considering whether to buy, it's valuable insight.

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    As a fellow early adopter, I've been enjoying reading Katie's blog with her delightful comments and insights, getting some glimpses into her life and how her new iPhone is now a part of that life.... Probably the ones who are nitpicking and grumbling are just full of sour grapes because they don't have an iPhone.

16. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I happen to like Katie's blog, it gives it a human touch and a personal point of view.
    So Katie keep up the good work.

P.S I had the same crash happen to me too the other day.

17. sbrownla macrumors regular

No one is being rude to her. We're criticizing her because she's out there to be criticized and some of us don't happen to enjoy her style. If giving criticism is wrong then I don't wanna be right and if I can't speak on the things that I find faulty, in a reasonable manner, then maybe you guys should start banning me and the others who don't have the same point of view as you.

I keep seeing people JUMP on, flame and trash other people on this site because of opposing points of view, and never have I seen such ill will on message boards since the iPhone came out.

18. sillycybin thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad I'm not the only one turned off by the 'new' MR style. I would enjoy Katies posts much more if she left out all personal opinions about food, music, clothes, and society and stuck more with iPhone information.

and yes, pretentious is a great word to describe Katies writing style, but I would lump most all vegan food eating people into that group. They are classic! herbivores are no better than omnivours, even though 'they' would like to think so.

1/2 of what she writes about is good information, the other half is JUNK. I have to sift through her personal opinions and insults to find out what she is talking about. maybe i like to wear my pants halfway down my butt. Maybe I love rap music and am one of the peeps that enjoys the 'Houston Apple Mall scene"

Maybe I eat a side of beef every day.

none of it has anything to do with the iPhone

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

[​IMG]

She is showing she has a personality, which is definitely a good thing ;).

20. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Life, at least in my experience, is seldom that simple. I can't imagine how not owning an iPhone would make someone less likely to evaluate an iPhone-oriented blog on its merits vs. "sour grapes." If that were the case, most magazines would either not exist or have limited readership: How many of us, for example, can afford Martha Stewart's lifestyle or the cars that grace the cover of "Automobile"? Do we forfeit our right to an opinion or the ability to express that opinion unless we own the goods? :confused:

Frankly, the whole iPhone experience on MacRumors.com is really turning me off to both the iPhone and many of the people contributing to the "discussion." As another member notes:

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, I like it. And so do many others. It made me chuckle this morning... And virtually all of the criticism in this thread isn't constructive at all; makes me wonder about peoples' motivations.

It's a blog, not a technical report. Don't like, don't read it. Simple.

22. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I think she has a pretty good blog, I mean it's just starting out, I'm sure if you give her a little more time she'll add more entries and settle in. :)

If you don't like the blog you don't have to read it, the internet is just like TV. If you don't like something, change the channel or turn it off. :p

23. Turkish macrumors 6502

Don't like it, don't read it.

Simple, as previously stated.

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Katie's blog is just what it's supposed to be.
    The real life experiences of a new iPhone user.The iPhone
    wasn't marketed as a business device so why should her
    blog reflect that ? .
    Much a do about nothing.Relax.Im sure Katie feels the pressure she's under.
    Keep it up Katie !!

On a side note. Two finger typing is getting faster:D

25. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.