Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Katy Perry Debuts Apple Music-Exclusive Single 'Rise' Ahead of Rio Olympics

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music's string of exclusive content continues today with the debut of "Rise," a new single from Katy Perry set to coincide with the upcoming 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. The song was released late last night, and is an exclusive to iTunes as well as Apple's streaming music service.

In a statement, Perry said that the timing of the song felt right to share it now, instead of waiting for her next album, because she sees that "there is a need for our world to unite." NBC also confirmed that it will play Rise as the anthem of the Rio Olympics, with the new single set to play before and throughout the Summer Games.

"This is a song that's been brewing inside me for years, that has finally come to the surface. I was inspired to finish it now, rather than save it for my next album, because now more than ever, there is a need for our world to unite," the Grammy nominee said in a statement.

"I know that together we can rise above the fear - in our country, and around the world. I can't think of a better example than the Olympic athletes, as they gather in Rio with their strength and fearlessness, to remind us how we ALL can come together, with the resolve to be the best we can be. I hope this song can inspire us to heal, unite, and rise together. I am honored that NBC Olympics has chosen to use it as an anthem before and during the Rio Games."
Apple Music turned one year old in June, with subscriber numbers now reaching above 15 million, which Apple CEO confirmed during WWDC. Also during its keynote in June, Apple revealed an incoming redesign for its streaming music service, set to debut within iOS 10, where Apple Music will get a simpler navigation interface and bolder fonts. Following in the wake of multiple artist and song exclusives, Apple Music head of original content Larry Jackson described the service's current goal as "MTV in its 80s and 90s Heyday."

You can listen to Rise on Apple Music and iTunes here.

Article Link: Katy Perry Debuts Apple Music-Exclusive Single 'Rise' Ahead of Rio Olympics

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
It's a nice idea, that "there is a need for our world to unite", and I applaud the sentiment. Unfortunately what will actually happen at the Olympics is that a small minority of the competitors will rise. The rest will lose. But a song called 'Lose' wouldn't be quite so uplifting, I am sure.

Comment

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Oh, Katy Perry. She sort of fell off the map there for a while.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Unfortunately what will actually happen at the Olympics is that a small minority of the competitors will rise. The rest will lose. But a song called 'Lose' wouldn't be quite so uplifting, I am sure.

That has no be the most negative take I've ever heard on the Olympics. Of course most competitors lose in any competiton. Were it not so, there'd be very little meaning in winning. But just getting to the Olympics is a level of triumph most people will never experience. The last place finisher in any Olympic event is still a better athlete than 99.99% of the world and still got to represent their country with pride.

As for the song, it's ok, but the video of the athletes was terrific.

Reactions: zooby and Keness
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
If that is Rio water there is feces, urine, flesh eating bacteria, and rotting corpses floating around her.
I admit to a bit of anticipatory schadenfreude regarding the Rio Olympics. I don't want any athletes to suffer unduly, but I really want these games to go off the rails. Maybe then the IOC will put integrity and the athletes above avarice and self interest. Who am I kidding, they'll never change, even if someone dies.

Reactions: ProVideo
Comment

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
That has no be the most negative take I've ever heard on the Olympics. Of course most competitors lose in any competiton. Were it not so, there'd be very little meaning in winning. But just getting to the Olympics is a level of triumph most people will never experience. The last place finisher in any Olympic event is still a better athlete than 99.99% of the world and still got to represent their country with pride.

Yeah, all fair points, but can you not at least see the irony of the world 'uniting' to compete against each other on an individual vs individual and country vs country basis?

Comment

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
This is why Apple should buy Tidal. Apple doesn't understand the world of exclusives. No one is asking for exclusive music from Katy.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The music in fine in the video. The woman that fell in the race should have gotten back up and kept running instead of giving up so easy. That would be like when a football team is in Q4 that has only 2 minutes and behind 4 touchdowns just lay down and not even try.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's got a real Bjork start to it.
[doublepost=1468605941][/doublepost]
This is why Apple should buy Tidal. Apple doesn't understand the world of exclusives. No one is asking for exclusive music from Katy.

Just wondering how you can speak for others? I think this is a decent number with a powerful edge, and Katy deserves any success that she gets from it.

Comment

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Yes, I'm sure uniting the world was the reason it was released early instead of making a deal with NBC to have the song played over and over while 150+ million or so Americans watch the Olympics lol.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.