Keep 2009 27" i5 iMac or buy new one?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lexvo, Aug 16, 2012.

1. lexvo macrumors 65816

Previously, I used my Windows-PC's as long as I could, for like 5-6 years. In 2009 I bought my first iMac.

My 2009 iMac 27" i5 is three years old now and my AppleCare will expire in a few months.

The reason I consider bying a new iMac is that I had a few issues with my current one (all quickly resolved under AppleCare):
    - broken Ethernet port (mainboard replaced)
    - broken HDD temperature sensor (got new HDD)
    - defective MagicMouse (got new mouse)

If I continue with my current iMac I feel I risc encountering costly repairs in the next years, especially since I read quite a lot about broken HDD's/temperature sensors. So I'm thinking about buying a new iMac because I will have AppleCare again and can avoid eventual repaircosts.

Or was I just unlucky the last 2 years (all issues occurred after one year) and will I be able to use my iMac troublefree for the next 2-3 years?

2. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

i would say extend the applecare for another 2-3 years, and let your iMac last as long as the applecare lasts. you seem to have had no problem replacing the faulty parts with the applecare, and it also works out cheaper if money isn't an issue. :)

3. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

That isn't possible. AppleCare cannot be extended. You can only extend the standard one year warranty with AppleCare.

My experience is that you'll have problems earlier rather than later with the iMac so if it works for you why not keep using it.

4. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

Dude, why don't you wait until you actually have a problem, then buy a new iMac. I don't see any good reason to play it any other way.

5. RedCroissant, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

I think you were just unlucky, but that unlucky because your problems were relatively minor. Your machine is the awesome one from and the most advanced as well and I think the first iMac to have a dedicated GPU that doesn't share system memory, the first one to have a quad-core processor, and the first(that I know of) that will act as a secondary display. I want it.

I have an awesome plan for your iMac that would make it a beast:

1. remove ODD and install a SSD for speed increase.
    2. Install 16GB RAM kit from OWC.
    3. Install eSATA port to compensate for lack of TB or USB 3.0
    4. Increase the size of HDD(and use a low-power or eco-friendly large capacity drive) and use that for file/media storage.

And yes, you risk encountering other problems in the future, but everyone does anyway. My 20" 2009 iMac has been out of AC for 4 months now and even though AC is not an option, the lack of that protection also allows for modification according to your wishes.

6. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Keep it cool and it'll last a while. There's no compelling reason to upgrade to a new Imac, unless something great comes along.

7. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

As long as it does everything you need it to do, I don't see any reason to upgrade. Take the problems one at a time when they arise. I'd only upgrade if the repairs are too costly when they come about. And always keep a good, reliable backup on hand.

8. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

Seems like your current hardware is fine. I hope mine runs and lasts like yours has.

9. lexvo thread starter macrumors 65816

Because, a broken Ethernet port means that the whole mainboard needs replacing. Recently it broke for a second time. I don't know what a main board costs but it will be at least $500 plus labor hours.

----------

A broken Ethernet port isn't a minor problem, the whole main board needs te be replaced. And a defective temperature sensor means a HDD replacement costing around $250 IIRC.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

----------

The thing is that I had 1 problem per year on average with my iMac, whereas I had 1 problem every 6 years with my Windows-PC's. I also had PC's for 6-7 years without any problem.

I don't want to go back to Windows and I like the iMac and OS-X, it is just this difference (and maybe me being unlucky) that brings me in doubt if I should buy a new one and have AppleCare so I don't have to deal with repaircosts.

10. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I'd say it's a good reason to have the Apple Care and yes you might have just had bad luck. I'd wait to see what 2012 iMac might come in the coming months, not sure if you'd get much more with just a couple of months of AC.

BTW How did you break the Ethernet port, most people plug them in maybe a few times in a year depending on if you need to move or clean the iMac. I only just unplugged my G5 when I moved it, for the first time in 2 years. Before that I only did it when I need to clean inside the case.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Uuhh what? :confused:

12. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

i was just answering to his problems, giving him advice, sir. :mad:

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

No problem. But you can't simply extend AppleCare twice. Three years warranty with one AppleCare is all you get from any :apple: hardware.

14. lexvo thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know. I started the computer one morning and found out that I had no network connection. Thankfully, WiFi was still working. But I like to have a cable connection for the speed and to transfer large files to my NAS.

15. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Ok, I was wondering about the speed difference. I have several HDDs attached to my G5 and at times will be transferring large media files from a PC. How much slower is WiFi over Ethernet?

My G5 will be wired as it has no wireless option. I know Ethernet Hubs are not that expensive, so I might get one if things are too slow as I only have one connection in the room they will be in.

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well if I were OP, I'd sell my machine already. Right when everything still works fine and dandy.

I own 2011 iMac and this machine has experienced quite a bit problems within first year. Mostly the smudged/dirty display. And also HDD, internal video flex cable replaced due to failure.

Most likely it will bring you nothing but problems in the future. And I know I wouldn't get another iMac for my next computer, maybe you should do the same?

Like you, I owned several PCs before iMac and those machines run okay within 4 - 6 years of ownership. Ironic since many claims :apple: is all about hardware quality. :rolleyes:
    Sure there were some minor hiccups with my old boxes, but hardly caused by manufacturing defects. Also it didn't involve returning the whole machine for ridiculously minor damage.

But iMac, well it's one damn AIO machine. You bring the whole shebang even if it's only for minuscule problems. Yes, Apple solved them well under AppleCare/warranty. But I'm not exactly happy since I also need reliable and durable machine, not just fancy aluminum slab. And the down time cost me too much.

So yeah, my advice:

Sell it, get a MacPro if you can stretch your budget, or even better: get ultimate PC box + 27" 1440p display + MBA if you want the best bang for your money. That way you have the hi-res display, you can keep using MBA for OSX experience, but you also have grunt when you need the power with your gaming box.

17. lexvo thread starter macrumors 65816

WiFi speed depend on how far your computer is from the wireless router/bridge. In my case Ethernet over cable is about 8 times faster than WiFi (I have WiFi-N by the way). For surfing the web you will hardly notice the difference, but this is very clear when copying large files.

18. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

I know what you mean, I am a former PC user and I kept every one of my PC's for almost 6-7 years. Though, I've had my share of lemons with those too.

I think you will be okay with the iMac, I know plenty of people who keep their Mac's for a while. As long as the problems are minor, you shouldn't expect any high repair costs (some stuff you could even do yourself if you feel comfortable tearing open the iMac and reading repair manuals). I'd argue to say that if anything major does happen, you could always try to get Apple to cover it. I've seen people before have problems with logic boards and other major components after AppleCare expires and they luck out on getting it covered anyway. Like I said before, I'd just hold out until something does happens and then reevaluate the situation based on what you need to do. ;)

19. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

^This. It's working now. I'd run it as long as you can. Haswell iMacs might be about before it dies, and that would be a good time to sell. In the meantime, keep using your AppleCare to get everything perfect until it runs out.

Just make sure you've got backups if there's anything important on there.

20. RedCroissant Suspended

I don't know what's going on with the ethernet port that ends up breaking it, but have you considered taking it to a third party that could replace/fix it that would also offer a warranty on their work? Somehow $500 seems high, but then again, I've never had to take mine in for anything like that.

The HDD costs have gone down considerably since you purchased yours and I have no doubt that it would be cheaper than that now. I bought a 3TB Seagate for $179, had Best Buy Geek Squad replace it($50) and also bought a bare hard drive docking station ($50) I was out of there with a new HDD, a docking station for my old one, and the service for less than $300. So If you're not buying high-capacity drives, I think you'd be able to save on those costs at least.

I can see why this computer would make you reconsider your options as far as computing goes, and if you do decide to sell it, then be sure to take into account al the things about your computer that make it way better than the average 2009 iMac so that you don't get taken advantage of on the price. If I could afford it, I know I would definitely be interested.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

There's some good reasons to play it any other way.

• Running out of AppleCare means Apple hold no more responsibilities for any defects/failures.
      Sell it while it's still works normally and well gives your machine a much better value.
    • His machine failed some times already in the past, means it's bound to have some again in the future.
    • When a Mac damaged outside warranty, you know it's not cheap to have Apple repair it for you. Definitely not cheap.
    • Or .. if you're playing around with DIY parts to repair the damage, it will be not much different than custom built PCs. Except Mac components will always be more expensive than PC ones.

When those happen, that iMac will be a liability and you'd be sorry to not sell it while it was in good condition.

22. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I will buy the iMac off you as I require one and can live with out of date stuff

23. vladfein macrumors regular

They cover out-of-warranty system? Out of the goodness of their heart? Because they love their customers? :D

24. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

well, when i meant by extend, i mean as in buy another applecare for the iMac, its simply just walking to the store and buying it.

25. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Sure, you can walk in and buy a "box" of AppleCare. But you'll be unable to attach it to a computer which has already had AppleCare applied, even if that AppleCare expired.