Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Someone just gave me a new Series 3. I find out it cannot update to watchOS 9 and unsupported after September, seem like pretty stupid to open it. I plan to just return it. Well new budget Apple Watch should be just SE after SE 2 comes out, but I don’t think they would sell it with Series 3 price $199 at all.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Someone just gave me a new Series 3. I find out it cannot update to watchOS 9 and unsupported after September, seem like pretty stupid to open it. I plan to just return it. Well new budget Apple Watch should be just SE after SE 2 comes out, but I don’t think they would sell it with Series 3 price $199 at all.
what do you mean by "unsupported"? if it's new as you say you might be eligible still for AC+, you'll get all the support you need. Plus there might be watchos8 updates coming, you just never know ...

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
what do you mean by "unsupported"? if it's new as you say you might be eligible still for AC+, you'll get all the support you need. Plus there might be watchos8 updates coming, you just never know ...

WatchOS 8 will be just stopped after release of watchOS 9, yeah some people report they still can connect series 0 to iOS 15, but few say there is problem like keep asking them to login again, anyway it would be an annoying outdated stuff.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Apple still sells it, so clearly it is still supported, until, Apple decided to put it on their vintage list (or whatever it’s called).

Go contact Apple to find out if you can get AC+ for your watch

It is either supported or not supported, watchOS 9 will be available in September and series 3 cannot update to it.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Apple still sells it, so clearly it is still supported, until, Apple decided to put it on their vintage list (or whatever it’s called).

Go contact Apple to find out if you can get AC+ for your watch

Even Apple Care cannot help the OS part. Apple has good reason to just cut all old 32 bits Apple Watch once Series 3 is off in September and all Watch in store will be 64 bits.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
I would definitely return it and get something far better come September, whether the full Series 8 or potential SE follow-up, if I were you.

Yeah I think this is the best way but I just know Apple shop in my city has no return policy lol xd. Anyway I expect the new budget Watch in September would be at least 25% more expensive than series 3 $199 and series 3 will be still unofficially the cheapest choice outside of Apple store. Hopefully Series 3 still can connect to coming IOS in 3 years lol

Reactions: sorgo †

mikedis

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Yeah if you can return it, do that, then take your $200 to eBay and buy a nice pre-owned Series 5 Stainless Steel. S5 Has better features than the SE anyway. And, as a bonus... stainless steel case and sapphire crystal glass.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Even if not supported anymore, it doesn't mean your Apple Watch suddenly won't work anymore. You just don't get the latest updates for it.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
That's the issue.

The Series 3 Watch cannot be upgraded to Watch OS 9, so it won't be receiving any Watch OS upgrades at all!

No update for Watch for fine for me, the basic functions of the Watch are good for me, I just doubt if there will be an iOS version just cut off all series 0 to 3 to connect to the phone.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
That's the issue.

The Series 3 Watch cannot be upgraded to Watch OS 9, so it won't be receiving any Watch OS upgrades at all!

Really? Apple has said no more updates for Watch OS8? Do you have a link to the statement?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Base on my understanding, watchOS would be automatically update to version 9 once it comes out.

The most likely scenario, I suspect, is that Apple will continue to provide bug fixes and security updates for WatchOS 8. Perhaps for S3 specifically, forcing non-S3 watches to go to WatchOS 9.

There is no reason to believe that the S3 is going to be unsupported upon release of WatchOS 9.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
The most likely scenario, I suspect, is that Apple will continue to provide bug fixes and security updates for WatchOS 8. Perhaps for S3 specifically, forcing non-S3 watches to go to WatchOS 9.

There is no reason to believe that the S3 is going to be unsupported upon release of WatchOS 9.

Officially series 3 is not in WatchOS9 support device list, but so far Apple still let even Series 0 to connect to WatchOS8.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
It is “supported” in terms of the hardware and but you are stuck on watchOS 8 as you’ve pointed out.

By all means keep it if you’re happy with watchOS 8. But if it’s possible for you to get a store credit or pay the difference for the SE or 7 then I would swap it or wait for Series 8 :)

Reactions: Howard2k
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.