iPad Keep iPad 128GB or not?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by happle, May 24, 2013.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

Since my MacBook Pro just died in the rain I bought an ipad. However I just looked at the last update and it seems a new ipad may be on its way. What is your opinion on whether I should keep this one or return it and wait for a potential new design. Though I don't want to sacrifice any battery life for a thinner device. Also I need a portable device to go to Ireland but I suppose I could borrow my girlfriends laptop. Let me know what you all think.

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Well an iPad is no replacement for a laptop, but if the iPad 4 works for you, then keep it.
    The iPad 4 is just a spec update of the iPad 3 that fixed some issues, so the 5 is bound to be substantially more different, but if the 4 works then keep it.

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I have a hacking oath desktop for my heavy work so an ipad does work for me.

4. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

No matter what you probably won't be able to sell it for that close to what you paid for, mostly because there is very little demand for 128gb ipad compared to you know a 16gb one (cost wise i mean).

If you are gonna wanna get the 5, which is rumored to be dramatically lighter and thinner more ipad mini looking. I would definitely sell it soon. Because the value will decrease as we get closer to launch and after the 5 is announced the resale price will fall even more.

If you you can wait until the version after the iPad 5 (Fall or Summer 2014), then keep using your iPad. It is still a great iPad afterall and the A6 will be able to run IOS7 no problem I am sure.

5. al0513 macrumors 6502

6. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just bought the ipad so I can still return it. However it would be a big inconvenience because I kind of need it for a business trip I'm going on. Also the thinner and lighter version might pose some problems aye? Maybe I'm better off keeping my 128gb retina ipad for a few years? Will the chip be substantial for a while?

Does anyone know when the new ipad is coming out? If its going to be a few months I'm fine with keeping this one. But if its coming out in two weeks ill be slightly disheartened.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It will definitely be more than a few weeks. The WWDC starts on June 10, and that is when we expect iOS 7 to be announced, and the beta to be released. It takes at least a month or two for the beta process to complete, so iOS would be ready for public release at the earliest around late summer. Since iPad 5 would be released with iOS 7 on it, that is also the earliest we can expect iPad 5.

Of course, Apple could pull a surprise and release iPad 5 with iOS 6 in early summer, but that would be highly unlikely.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you like your 4 then keep it. It's a very nice device and it may be fall before the 5 is released.

9. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok I think I will stick with my 4 then. Also I like to justify my purchase by saying to never buy a first revision. I like to wait till the second generation of a new design that way most of the bugs are worked out. Anyhow, it's really pointless to get caught up in chasing technology though it is an easy trap to fall into and does cause some anxiety and remorse.

Digging the ipad 4.

Does anyone know if I'm able to save keynote documents to a USB drive with the adapter?

Also, does anyone know of any good productivity tools such as ASQ (quality management tools in the App Store? Such as an all in one flowchart designer, cause and effect designer, Ishikawa diagrams, etc? I will be needing these tools for my business trip. I know there is a flowchart app but I'm looking for an all in one Swiss Army knife quality guru app if it exists.

10. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I'd return it...

You're probably gonna lose $200+ of resale the minute that new one comes out.

Any problems with a changed iPad 5 could be rectified via warranty.

But that's just me.

11. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

well if i decided to keep the iPad i wouldn't sell it when the new one comes out. but unless the new one is going to come out by the end of june id rather just keep this one. does anyone have any evidence that it will come out by the end of june? i personally hope it doesn't come out until holiday season in which case im totally fine keeping this iPad 4. after all it is the 128gb that just came out in march. maybe since the iPad 5 is supposed to be a redesign it will take a bit longer to come out that the previous generation. if so i could skip that update and catch the next perhaps. as i stated before, typically, i steer clear from revision 1's.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

3 weeks ago I upgraded my 32GB iPad2 to a 64GB iPad4. (And gave the iPad2 to my wife).

Love the improvement of the 4 over the 2. There are always quality issues with each new release, so by waiting a few months to buy the 2, I received a perfect one. Apple has worked out all of the bugs of the 3/4 so buying a 4 now is good timing...unless one will have buyer's remorse should the 5 get released in a few months.

I have found that the iPad4 + smartcase + Apple BT keyboard + inCase Origami workstation makes a terrific portable solution. I just returned from a week-long intensive bootcamp training seminar, left my MBP at home and only used this configuration. After 8 hours of typing each day, I still had 50% battery remaining on the iPad... while my classmates with notebooks had to recharge at least once and a few twice, during that time.

As for an ASQ solution, sorry but I can't be of any help in that... I haven't found one.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

To the OP - return the iPad 4, pick up a 16GB iPad mini to use temporarily, and buy an iPad 5 when it comes out later this year.

14. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems ki

Like a good plan. I think the current ipad is plenty for me and is rock solid. Better offnskiplingbthe first revision I take it?

----------

Seems like a good plan. I think the current ipad is plenty for me and is rock solid. Better offnskiplingbthe first revision I take it?

15. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That's my opinion and has been my experience. I feel comfortable that this 64GB iPad4 will last me a good long time.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You should really return it and get a smaller version of the 4. The 128GB is going to be a tough resale vs the smaller ones.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I realize I may be in the minority, but I would choose a used 128 over a used 64; especially since the used cost isn't as far from the used 64 compared to a new 128 vs a new 64.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I was thinking that he should get the 32GB. At least for now, you know? Unless he really needs that 128GB.

OP, what do you plan on using the iPad for while you're in Ireland?

19. pommie82 macrumors 6502

If you are getting great use out for something then keep.When it comes to the time when you are not using it then it times to think what would be a better option for me to be using instead of a iPad.At the end of the day we can only evaluate from what you are saying to us really. Let take me for example now i use a iPad every day without fail i use it for movies,facebook,twitter,surfing,watching tv,playing games when boring and nothing to do.Its all down to the person some people can get great use out of something some people would never use something.I will be honest now if i lost my iPad it would be like losing a arm because i use it so much a least three hours day depending what i am doing and where.Everything has a use it just depends how we use it and when we use it.I am a true believer if you have something and you are not using it at all then that money you have spent on that product is a complete waste of time and money because you are not getting use out of it.But you are getting your use out of something then you are getting your money worth out of it

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In my experience, the "first revision" of the iPads have been rock solid devices. The iPad 1, iPad 2 and the mini are all really really good, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. Sure, if you waited a generation, you got some benefits, such as if you skipped the 1, the 2 was lighter, and if you skipped the 2, 3 had retina. But that's just technology for you, always advancing. I wouldn't skip an iPad just because it was the "first revision" -- if it has the features you want, go for it.

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yes it is. Depending on what are doing in said laptop.

----------

Apple doesn't pre announce products so no one knows. But historically they move on a one year cycle or if they are moving the cycle perhaps six months or 16-18 months during the shift. The last iPad update was around November so we would have likely seen it by now if it was six months. And given they felt okay with releasing the 128gb n jan/feb it's more likely on a one year in the fall now so Sept is the likely earliest time we'll see or hear something although oct/nov to kick off holiday shopping is a little more logical.

22. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

You just contradicted yourself, giving a definitive&objective answer followed by "Depending on ..."
    There a multitude of things that an iPad can't do.
    You can go assuming that an iPad can replace his laptop.
    If you only browse the web and read ebooks than an iPad can, be a substitute, otherwise there are things that only real computers can do.

23. darngooddesign, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

darngooddesign macrumors G3

You did the exact same thing. LOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulbennett95
    Well an iPad is no replacement for a laptop,

If you only browse the web and read ebooks than an iPad can, be a substitute

You're being purposelessly misleading as you know the iPad can do more than that.

24. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And there are a multitude of people that don't need to do any of those things, particularly on a portable device.

25. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Correction. I misread your advice as Mac Mini and thought it was strange. I forgot all about the iPad mini. That actually makes a lot of sense. The iPad mini seems like a good stopgap for people waiting for an iPad 5.