Keep iPhone 7 or iPhone SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EdenTan, Dec 7, 2016.

1. EdenTan, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

EdenTan macrumors member

EdenTan

Long story short, here's what happened to my iPhone 7:
    http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...ked-new-replacement-iphone-7-lab-5516486.html and
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comm...eplacement_phone_received_from_alab/?sort=new

I bought a new iPhone SE yesterday as I thought my iPhone 7 would become a paper brick forever.

However a miracle happened.
    Someone from Tim Cook's office called me this morning. This happened because I sent a long email with all my documents and proof of purchase to Tim Cook, Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi.

She told me that she will be taking my case from now on.
    Guess what. A few hours later and my iPhone 7's activation lock was removed.

Now I have 3 options:
    1) Keep iPhone 7
    2) Keep iPhone SE
    3) Keep both, iPhone SE as backup phone.

What should I do?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Good news about your iPhone 7. If it was me, why not keep both. You would have the best of both worlds, with two amazing iPhones in the current market in my opinion.

3. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    Kudos for your complaining skills - it is an art.
    Is the LG V20 yours? if so have that as your spare and go for 1) assuming your happy with the size of the 7 v SE

4. EdenTan thread starter macrumors member

EdenTan

Wow you noticed! Hmm unfortunately that isn't mine. It's a work phone.
    I prefer the size of the SE, I have very small hands. If I wrap my fingers around the iPhone 7 my thumb and middle finger won't even meet. That only happens when i'm wrapping around the SE.

That said, I do notice how much better the screen on the iPhone 7 is. In terms of contrast and color gamut. choices..~

5. SarZ macrumors regular

SarZ

I have both 7 and SE. If I could only keep one it would be the 7
    7 has better screen, much better speakers and better front and back cameras
    But I still love my SE :)

6. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Hi
    Its great you have the choice.
    I would have say a Moto E £30 phone for a 2nd phone, just inexpensive to serve as the LV did.
    The choice of 7 v SE is a bit like the 42mm or 38mm apple watch its really personal preference.
    So its whichever you are most comfortable with.

7. ericwn macrumors 65816

Good to have resolved the issue, although I was sure you'll get that sorted anyway, seemed clearly messed up by that lab place.
    Personally I'd keep the iPhone 7.

8. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Keep the 7 and get rid of the SE. No since in keeping both. The 7 has all the features the se has plus more.

9. EdenTan thread starter macrumors member

EdenTan

Hmm wow a lot of 7 replies here! On another 7 vs SE thread pretty much everybody was lauding the SE. Anyways keep the comments coming :)

10. Vlada011 macrumors member

Vlada011

I would keep both as well. He can use them both in different days. That's cool.
    I would not sell iPhone SE because it's revision of nicest smart phone for me with new hardware, later when iPhone 7s show up I would sell iPhone 7 and both iPhone 7s. Now I would keep both.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd keep the 7 for the same reasons.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

2) Keep iPhone SE

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'd keep both. I own both the 7 and SE. Although the 7 is my primary phone, I just absolutely love using the SE, especially since the phone fits perfectly in my hand.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have an SE and prefer it because of the size/form factor. If you do not mind the bigger size then obviously the 7 offers more.

15. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Keep the SE and get rid of the 7...

Why settle for no headphone jack and a crappy fake home button?

16. EdenTan thread starter macrumors member

EdenTan

I'm still undecided yet. Put both of them up for sale, got no offers for the SE. Got ridiculous offers for the new replacement 7 (USD 515 ~ 530 ish too low tbh, looking for ~ USD 564) I'm residing in Singapore, just doing a direct currency exchange.

Pros of the iPhone 7
    -Screen is indeed better (Contrast/Color gamut)
    -Much better speakers

Pros of the iPhone SE
    -Better battery life
    -Better design IMO, love it
    -Rose gold (7 is in black, kinda regretted getting that color)
    -Fits my hand (Very small hands, can't wrap around the 7 with my fingers)

Don't think I want to keep both tbh, I will rid of one and get Applecare+ on the remaining iPhone. I have an iPad Air 2 and Macbook r12 in my lineup.

17. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I think you should keep iPhone SE,this thing is iconic and priceless. IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0224.JPG
    i am keeping mine for the lifetime :D

18. tsang2320 macrumors regular

Glad to hear how the story ends. Using the 7 and would keep the 7 if I were you.

1. Your SE is newly purchased so should be easy for you to simply return it?
    2. Much better speaker, camera, screen, Touch ID and waterproofing on 7
    3. 3D Touch (relevant since iOS 10 for me)
    4. Much better vibration
    5. Nicer buttons and mute switch

Hey and your 7 now has a nice story with it :)

19. EdenTan thread starter macrumors member

EdenTan

LOL that last photo. Exactly the same color as my i7 and SE.

20. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I bought the SE for the design. It's nice, and I enjoy it, but lack of 3D Touch frustrates me and I do wish it was bigger. Actively trying to sell and move to a 7.

21. EdenTan thread starter macrumors member

EdenTan

Thanks everyone!
    Ultimately I sold the iPhone 7 for a good USD $565 and kept the SE. The exquisite design, one hand usability and the rose gold color kept me. Personally I don't really use 3D Touch (really I do but it's just for the lulz just fooling around) and the A9 processor and same 2GB DDR4 RAM is still plenty fast. I LOVE the SE design! Esp in rose gold <3

22. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I have a gold SE and matte black 7 (but plus) too haha

23. Vlada011 macrumors member

Vlada011

If someone really need to keep only one than it's better to keep iPhone 7 off course.
    It's better in several important things and most powerful processor.
    I'm sad because I don't have collection of one cell phone from every generation. Hahaa hahaaha...
    I would make shelf for them and holders and glass and name of every model below.
    But for talking and using I would like most iPhone 7 Matte Black or iPhone 7 Plus Silver.
    Bigger model is nicer in silver and smaller in Matte Black.

Surface of iPhone is great, I can't put mine in some silicon bag and in same time I want to protect him. And Matte Black 7 is probably excellent in hand... similar as iPhone SE.
    No one can build such phones as Apple. With god help they will improve screen and camera and device will be perfect, now is almost perfect. Much closer to perfection than any other phone.

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The one feature the 7 doesn't have that the SE does is easy one handed usability and small form factor. Whether that's important to you or not is down to individual preference but for me it's enough of a feature to make me keep my SE and ignore the 7 :)

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That was one of the reasons I sold the SE was the reduced screen size. And I went to the 7 Plus. An adjustment for size, but quickly adjusted.