Keep loosing WiFi (iPhone 6)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RipGroove, Oct 2, 2014.

1. RipGroove macrumors member

IOS 8.0

My iPhone keeps loosing WiFi signal at work even though other phones around me (including iPhone 5'a) do not. Throughout the day I'm finding that when I wake my phone up WiFi is gone so I have to keep toggling it on and off until it returns, sometimes I even have to reboot the phone to get it to return.

It can't be a router issue as it's a strong signal and there's about another 10 phones around me who do not keep disconnecting.

I've not had WiFi at home since getting my iPhone 6 as I've just moved house so can't currently compare to that.

I have tried resetting all settings including network and also tried setting the WiFi hype proxy to AUTO but still keep having the issue.

Am also sometimes loosing cellular signal which I can get back by rebooting the phone, again it can't be the actual signal as after a reboot it comes back fine.

Had this issue for 2 weeks now

2. lostlots macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with my iPhone 6 64 gig. Wifi networks drop or are unrecongnized for no apparent reason. Rebooting seems to solve the problem but I did not have this issue with previous iPhones. iOS 8.0.2

3. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

So not just me then, that's good news for me I guess but bad news for you.

4. vito macrumors 6502a

I have an issue with WiFi disconnecting and then not being able to search/connect - iPhone 6 Plus 8.0 :(

5. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

A temporary fix may be to go into the wifi settings and forget this network. Then re-add the network manually. You enter the name of the network, choose the security type, and then enter the password.

Sometimes an erase network settings can help.

Good luck.

6. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I forgot to mention I have already tried that

7. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I have this problem on my 6+, my wife says she doesn't on her 6. I had it on 8.0 and 8.0.2.

I chatted with an Apple Support person this morning, who told me to do stuff I've already done: restore through iTunes (although that did fix my funky music problem) and reset Network Settings. My choices now are to mail it to Apple or take it in to the closest Apple Store, 45 minutes away.

I have a 12:50 Genius appointment. I can't image they can fix a faulty WiFi router on the phone while I'm standing around waiting and according to the online Apple Store, they don't have any Pluses in stock. Like, at all.

I think I'll go in anyway (I'm between projects) to see what they'll say. Might just be burning gas, though.

8. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Well if you do go please post back here with what happens.

9. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I'm having this issue as well at home but with my iPad 3rd generation on iOS 8. I end up having to swipe up, and toggle wifi off and on again to kick it back in. My iPhone 6 at home is fine so I would be somewhat confident in saying it's an iOS 8 issue not an iPhone 6/6+ issue. I remember having this issue as well on my 4S when I upgraded to iOS 7, but the problem resolved, probably by resetting network settings, reboots, maybe an iOS update... Don't remember now. I think it has to do with "Upgrading", possibly carrying over some old network settings if you did a restore on the new phone. For my new 6, I just kept it as a "new phone" and synced apps and music. Kept the same iCloud account though.

Try "forget this network", or try to reset all network settings again. Wont hurt i suppose.

Also, for the guy going into the Apple store, I hope I'm wrong but he might not have much luck since its something that takes a while to "drop" the network. Might work fine the entire time he's there. But best of luck, and please do post what you find out there. I'm sure there are a few with the same issue.

10. AllergyDoc, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'm back from the Apple Store and here's what happened.

They swapped my phone for a new one. When I asked him if it could be a refurbished phone, he said the 6+ and 6 were too new for them to have refurbs already. But, the phone did not come out of a retail box, it came out of a thin little box.

The guy said the only thing I didn't do that could've been done was restart my router. His little test showed my WiFi card was normal. If WiFi continues to drop I'm to reset my router and blame it on a software "glitch."

When he said they haven't been getting complaints about WiFi dropping under iOS or with the new iPhones, I mentioned I was a member of this forum and that complaints were being reported here and on the Apple Support Forum. Lot's of complaints. He replied he didn't think too much of what people said on "internet forums" because most of them don't know what they're talking about.

I said sure, there are plenty of dopes on the internet. Duh. But there are plenty of people who know what they're talking about. You just need to be able to pick and chose who to listen to.

I hope this is the end of my WiFi saga, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Edit to add: My appt was at 12:50 and there was a decent line in front of the store. Lots of angry looking people. The online Apple Store said there weren't any Pluses in that store. I noticed my phone had downloaded 8.0.2, which I promptly deleted.

11. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I've tested my iPhone 6 on AC and N wifi and have had no dropouts with either 8 or 8.0.2. Depending on the settings of the router, it can cause issues, though it really needs to be configured as a non-standard router. Tweaks generally can cause problems.

12. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm very doubtful it's a router issue for me as it's a work router with plenty of other phone connected to it that do not drop wifi. Also I do not have access to the works router settings and as no one else is having issues they will not start changing settings just for me as it's pretty obvious the issue is on my end. Especially as I only drop wifi when I try to wake the phone up.

13. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

THIS IS DOING MY HEAD IN! Tonight EVERY single time I wake my phone up wifi has gone, I toggle it back on and then it goes off again 10secs later! I'm literally constantly toggling wifi in order to use the phone

14. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Are there any apps that can force WiFi on? Clutching at straws now but this is totally ridiculous.

15. r-m macrumors 6502a

Did you ever re-update to 8.0.2? May be worth a try, but also worth avoiding!
    I'm on 8.0.2 on my iPhone 6 (not Plus) and do notice WiFi not connected, and have to toggle off (which sometimes takes a while) and on again.

My iPad air had a different issue on 8.0, where WiFi would remain connected, but no connection (nothing network related would load). Again, had to toggle off (took a while) and on to get going again.

My iPhone 5S has been fine on 8.0 and 8.0.2 with no WiFi issues that I've noticed.

----------

This too - I've had the issue at home, and my girlfriend's house, and using various free wifi hotspots.

16. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Yes am now on 8.0.2 but still have the issue, I've had to toggle wifi 4 times while writing this message

----------

This phone has been close to being hurled at a wall today so many times, never has a phone annoyed me so much. Only just switched to iPhone from android and so far I've not had a good time. I loose wifi around 3 or 4 times just while writing a reply here. Every time I have to toggle it back again as it absolutely will not come back on by itself

17. r-m macrumors 6502a

Ah, my WiFi hasn't been that bad, just a minor frustration so far.
    Must be iOS bugs, methinks.
    Has been a bad time for android-switching-to-iphone'ers - iOS 8 hasn't given off the best impression of iPhones and iOS 8!

18. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Mine can be fine for a few hours but then it'll just spend the next few hours forcing me to keep toggling it on and off every few seconds. I have a Genius Bar appointment on Sunday but a bit skeptical as to what they can do tbh.

19. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Mine was horrible. I just set my iPhone 6 up today won't stay connected at all. Tried it on 8.0 and 8.02. Reset as new iPhone as well as from a back up. Also had Bluetooth issues with my Ford sync staying connected.

For now I will mail the phone back to Verizon. I'll wait until the issues are resolved.

20. typicaluser macrumors regular

Yes, that's exactly what happens to my iPhone 6 - drop wifi when being waked up. It happens when I wake up my iPhone after hours not using it. And my experience was that the longer I left my iPhone sleeping the more likely it would drop wifi when waked up.

21. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

My wifi has been rock solid for 2 days now where it was terrible for the 2 days previous to that. Don't know whether to hold off on going to the Apple Store or what.

22. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

My wifi will randomly drop at times, but then come back a minute or 2 later and be normal like nothing ever happened. Sometimes though when it drops, it takes like 5-10 minutes to come back, where I end up resetting network settings. That does the job for a couple days, only for the wifi to randomly drop again.

When my wifi is connected though, it's normal and fast like it should be. Everything else about my phone is great, so I'm hoping its a software issue that will be fixed in the next update. Would hate to hace to go through the hassle of going to Apple Store if it's a hardware issue.

23. i-aamir macrumors 6502a

Just a quick snapshot of my chain of events. I’m currently on my fourth iPhone 6 Plus 64GB here in London, UK. Every time I have spoken to AppleCare and told them that I have gone through all the Wi-Fi troubleshooting methods possible they have asked me to get a brand new retail replacement as I’m within my 14 day return period. I’ve been experiencing the following issues:

1. Wi-Fi disconnects and switches to 4G (Restart required for temp fix)
    2. Wi-Fi is still active but there is no traffic or activity– often when in sleep mode for long periods of time. (Toggle Wi-Fi on/off for temp fix)
    3. Wi-Fi disconnects and cannot find any networks (restart required for temp fix)
    4. This has been occurring on both iOS 8 and 8.0.2
    5. The issues are the same on both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks
    6. This is affecting my ip6+ and 5s (5s used to work perfect on ios7 on same networks) – My MBP-R and all other devices run perfectly on my network.

I spoke to AppleCare again yesterday and asked for their advice as its now my fourth iPhone in just under a month. This time they said that apple were fully aware of the Wi-Fi problem and that new repair tickets were not being raised for their engineers as they are already working hard to get this resolved. They also said they could see all the issues raised on the apple discussions boards which they usually don’t admit too! I asked what to do next and the advisor apologised and said this is clearly a software glitch and will be resolved in the next update. I asked for a timescale but unfortunately none was given.

As stated above I have tried all the troubleshooting methods discussed on forums and on tech websites but the only thing that gives me a stable connection without any disconnects (especially on my 6 plus) is turning cellular/mobile data off when I know I’m going to be on Wi-Fi for a sustained period of time (e.g. at home or work). I appreciate this is annoying but it’s the best temp fix until an update comes out.

Hope it helps everyone who is having issues with their devices that have cellular functionality.

Any comments welcome

24. RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much for sharing, so as I see it then it looks like a software problem which I guess is good in the respect that it should be fixed soon without having to go get a new handset. I'll hold off going to the Apple Store for now then as I'll probably end up in the same boat with a different handset.

I also managed to rule out router issues completely yesterday by turning my old phone into a WiFi hotspot and connecting my iPhone to that and the result was that the iPhone still kept dropping its connection with the other phone even though they were right next to each other. So at least it looks like the iPhone is 100% at fault here.

25. RipGroove, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

RipGroove thread starter macrumors member

Keep loosing WiFi (iPhone 6)

Update: my WiFi has been rock solid for a week now both at home and work?! No changes to either the phone or the two networks so don't really understand it?! Every time a wake my phone up the Wifi symbol is already there. Before there would be no symbol and I would see it try to connect whenever i woke the phone up and often it would just fail or the symbol wouldn't show up at all.

I'm still getting a lot of "No Service" with regards to cell signal but that's more than likely a separate issue.