Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Recently both our iPhones keep losing our home WiFi network connection. It makes us enter the password and stays connected for a little while but then loses it again. This issue just started about a day ago. The router is brand new so I have a hard time believing it is the problem. It is a Linksys WRT160N and replaced a Linksys WRT54G that we had for 5 years.

Anyone else having WiFi issues?

ILBandit

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
I've had the exact same issue ever since I updated to 3.0, and I know several other people that have had the same thing happen also.

I have heard that it doesn't play well with WEP systems, is your security WEP?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Not using WEP here. Today was the first I have had this problem since 3.0 came out. One thing that seemed to help was turning the iPhone's WiFi off in settings and then turning the iPhone off completely. After a few minutes turn the iPhone and WiFi back on. We will see how long doing this helps.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I use WPA at home, but it doesn't matter: my iPhone lost all WiFi functionality after about a week on 3.0.

(It also lost all cellular data connection! But I think that's an AT&T issue. The WiFi thing needs a software fix from Apple.)

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Now tonight I have been getting the "No Signal" message for my cell service as well as having to reconnect to WiFi on the iPhone. So much for my fix working.

As I said before 3.0 has been working fine with me since its release up until the last day, so I don't see how changing my router from b/g/n to b/g would make any difference.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I had the dropping wifi issue on my iPhone, I changed my router from WPA2 to WEP in the vain hope that it would fix it. Didn't work, changed the router from WEP to WPA and with a different SSID name and now my iPhone is fine on my home network. :confused:

What is it with apple, updates and dropping wifi. It's like Leopard all over again.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Now tonight I have been getting the "No Signal" message for my cell service as well as having to reconnect to WiFi on the iPhone. So much for my fix working.

As I said before 3.0 has been working fine with me since its release up until the last day, so I don't see how changing my router from b/g/n to b/g would make any difference.
when I got my 3gs it wouldn't automatically connect and when it did it kept dropping wifi and saying the password was wrong, I tried changing the security and that did nothing, but when I changed to b/g only (on recommendation of a thread id read on Netgear's support forum) its worked perfectly ever since and to prove the point I've since tried turning n back on and it started playing up again if you look at the vast majority of people experiencing problems its with n enabled routers, now I know its not an ideal fix (I'm 'lucky' cos i only get a 1.8meg connection so n isn't a necessity for me)

Im not saying the iPhone or 3.0 isn't to blame, my 2.2.1 enabled iPod Touch 2G was perfect with n enabled and the iPhone's wifi signal fluctuates alot on my gf's wifi but it was deffinately the n for me so its worth a try

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
If using n is the problem when why has it worked fine prior to the 3.0 release and since then up until just a few days ago? Seems like it would have acted up much sooner.

GamaFu

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Try setting the router to b/g only as 3.0 doesn't seem to like b/g/n

I agree. I've tried changing a few things on my router. Nothing helps except changing performance from auto (N/G/B) to G only. My 3GS used to lose connection all the time, it couldn't even finish a 2 minutes movie trailer. However, once I set it to G only, it's been fine now.

@Resist
As you said, you just get a new router. Your previous one doesn't support 802.11 N, only G. Therefore, you don't need to change the setting, it's already running G. However, Linksys WRT160N is a N router. That's probably why.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
As you said, you just get a new router. Your previous one doesn't support 802.11 N, only G. Therefore, you don't need to change the setting, it's already running G. However, Linksys WRT160N is a N router. That's probably why.
My previous wireless router didn't support just g, it supported b/g and was set to auto for both. Now this new router is set to b/g/n, only our laptop uses n on our home wireless network, everything else is using g. I don't see why the iPhone would have a problem with b/g/n when all it uses is the g side. But again as a previously stated, I was using this new router with b/g/n several weeks prior to the 3.0 iPhone release and several weeks after the release, with no problems until just a few days ago. Now strangely today it held my home WiFi connection just fine.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
What you'll find with n routers is that as soon as a slower device connects all are forced to use g my MacBook would run at 130 until my sisters laptop or my ps3 connect then it's forced to 54 unless you have a mega fast connection or all your devices are n enabled then it's a waste of time

if it's working then fingers crossed it was just interference but otherwise just try b/g only; it can't hurt

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I spoke to soon, it lost the connection again and it won't keep the password. WTF!

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Okay I set my wireless router to only use b/g, so far it seems to be working. My iPhone hasn't lost my network or asked for the password since doing this (almost a full day now).

I get that the iPhone doesn't support 802.11n but my router was using the mixed b/g/n, so it should have worked without any issues. Anyone know why there is a problem using mixed with n? I have a lot of devices on my wireless network, some that can use n and I hate to be slowed down by only having g working.

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
It's weird I know, annoying too if you've shelled out for an n router, hopefully apple will fix this bug but it's definately appearing as though n routers (even some people with airport extremes are suffering) don't like 3.0 touch wood it's not a hardware issue

can't help you anymore than this but at least it's working

Ed

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Well, changing the router setting didn't fix the issue. My iPhone lost its WiFi connection again and asked for the password to my network but then would not accept it. I ended up shutting down the iPhone and waiting several minutes before turning it back on. Luckily it is working again....for now. This really sucks!

trina27

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Interesting...I have problems with an "N" router too.

My 3GS is fine at home which is b/g only. But, the primary connection at work is n and while I am able to give it a password which it accepts and shows me connected, as soon as I try to use, it drops. I couldn't even get a web page to completely load.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Usually when i have wireless problems this is my workflow to reastablish connection.

1. Power off cable modem/or whatever applies
2. Power off router
3. shut down all devices that connect wireless
4. power up cable modem
5. wait 5 minutes and power up router
6. wait until router has come back online then start bringing up devices

if that doesn't work, i reflash (reload newest firmware of router) because some times routers start to stutter and this seems to work for whatever reason.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I don't think the use is with n alone. Because as I said, I had my router set to mixed b/g and still got the problem so it may be a mixed issue.

I changed my router to g only and will see how things go.

dwainew

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
Bottom line is there are too many people suddenly having Wifi issues, me included. It's not my wifi, it's not changes to the phone (by me), since I haven't done any.

I can no longer connect to my wifi at home or work and it's apples fault. whether it is some app update or issues with 3.0, we deserve an explination from Apple and some indication that they are working on it. period.

Why should we JERK AROUND finding out we need to stand facing north with our left foot off the ground on Mondays, but our right foot on Wednesdays to get it to work??!! FIX THE FRIGGING THING!:mad::(

dwainew

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
btw,

interesting side effect, trying to launch the free app, WiFinder, is telling. It just crashes every time. How does that relate to a/b/g/n?:eek:

Anyone else have similar results?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
The makers of WiFinder have already said it doesn't work with 3.0 but they are coming out with a new release under a new name.

Well so far having my router set to g only seems to be working. Apple really needs to address the issue for routers using mixed WiFi. No other g network adapter in my house has an issue with my router using mixed b/g/n, not our two Tivo network adapters, not my Xbox 360, not my PSP, not our Epson wireless printer, not our Macbook. All work fine with the mixed setting except for our iPhones.

We paid a lot of money for these phones and a lot of money each month to use them and it really pisses us off that they aren't working as advertised.

Hey Apple are you listening?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Well it has been a couple days now and since changing my router setting from mixed to straight g, my iPhone has not lost WiFi once.

I know this issue is the result of the upgraded 3.0 firmware because prior to 3.0 I could detect my neighbor's home WiFi and now my iPhone doesn't even see them. I also have a 1st Gen iPod Touch without the 3.0 upgrade and it detects them just fine. The Touch also had no problem on my WiFi router's mixed setting.

Apple please fix this issue!

spooned12000rpm

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
York, UK
Well it has been a couple days now and since changing my router setting from mixed to straight g, my iPhone has not lost WiFi once.

I know this issue is the result of the upgraded 3.0 firmware because prior to 3.0 I could detect my neighbor's home WiFi and now my iPhone doesn't even see them. I also have a 1st Gen iPod Touch without the 3.0 upgrade and it detects them just fine. The Touch also had no problem on my WiFi router's mixed setting.

Apple please fix this issue!

This is what bugged me, my 2g touch went for 6 months and never missed a beat, the 3gs lasted 15mins until I switched to b/g

please apple recognise this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.